Quantcast
  • Join the TowForce community.

It looks like you're not logged in. Register to get started and to receive Tower Down Notices.

Tower Down 01.01.20 (IL) "UPDATED"

TowNews

Tow truck driver fatally struck by vehicle on I-290 in Maywood

A tow truck driver was struck by a vehicle near 9th Avenue while towing cars from an earlier crash, state police said.

A tow truck driver was fatally struck by a vehicle Wednesday on Interstate 290 in Maywood.

Authorities were called about 6 a.m. to eastbound I-290 near Ninth Avenue, Illinois State Police said. A tow truck driver was towing cars from an earlier crash when they were hit by a vehicle.

The Cook County medical examiner’s office hasn’t released details about the fatality.

The driver of the vehicle that struck the person was taken to an area hospital with minor injuries, state police said.

RESOURCE LINK

Tow truck driver killed while assisting crash on I-290

CHICAGO (WREX) — A tow truck driver is dead after being hit by a vehicle while on scene of a separate crash early on New Years Day.

Illinois State Police say they received a call for a pedestrian being hit by a car on I-290 near 9th Ave. around 6 a.m. Wednesday morning.

Authorities say the tow truck driver was outside of his vehicle helping a previous crash when he was hit by another vehicle.

The tow truck driver was pronounced dead at the scene.

The driver of the vehicle which hit the tow truck driver was taken to the hospital with minor injuries, according to police.

No word if the driver of the other vehicle will be charged.

RESOURCE LINK

• Sad 1

Killed working an earlier crash? I wonder if the PD was on-scene. There are instances where the cops were on-scene and they leave at some point. Has that ever happened to you? I'd like to know if that was the case here?  Christine and I send our prayers to this tower's family and the company he worked for.    R

Randall C. Resch

The Loss of 2 Tow Truck Operators within 24 hours is difficult to comprehend. Though it has happened before I do not recall every hearing of such tragedy on New Years Eve & New Years Day. Our thoughts are with the Illinois Family, Friends and Co-Workers. we just can't make it though a month without losing a Tow Operator now this is the first in 2020 and the first in the around decade which shows no signs that we will find relief of our industry losses. God Bless!

Randall, hope this is what information you are seeking as in both news reports it was stated that:

"Authorities were called about 6 a.m. to eastbound I-290 near Ninth Avenue, Illinois State Police said. A tow truck driver was towing cars from an earlier crash when they were hit by a vehicle."

Here we go again.... What a horrible new years it has been. Rest easy Operator. 

And yes Mr. Resch, there have been many occasions around here, particularly during major weather events where wrecks are left for clean up after the storm subsides and generally, P.D. does not return to the scene unless there are odd circumstances that require their presence. In my opinion, Having P.D. on scene does not generally persuade the motoring public to obey the s.d.m.o. Laws. If anything, It becomes more of a spectacle which causes secondary accidents and traffic issues. Too many Operators get a false sense of security just because P.D. is on scene. Bottom line is the ONLY person who can protect you out there is YOU. Plan your movements and actions, Watch your back and Always, ALWAYS leave an escape route for yourself.

PROFESSIONAL TOWING & RECOVERY IS NOT JUST A JOB.. IT IS A LIFESTYLE

It’s with a heavy heart that we share tragic news that happened this morning. While responding and accident for the Illinois State Police District

Chicago one of our O’Hare Operators was struck and killed by a passing motorist at 06:03am on I-290 east bound near 9th ave.

Due to the ongoing investigation, we have no further details.

We are absolutely heart broken for all those involved. We ask that you keep our operator’s family and our team in your thoughts and prayers.

This is a tragic reminder why slowing down and moving over is important for all emergency vehicles.

- Bill, Marci and Katie Gratzianna

• Sad 1

Ron ... Christine and I send our prayers to you too as you experience the loss of your friend.

To Bill and Marci ... our hearts and prayers go out to you and your company as well as Andre's family.

I just now reviewed my archives to see that in no other year (that I know of) an operator was killed on both New Year's Eve and New Year's Day. Since I recorded Kenneth Ray Davis killed in 1934, I have listed 2x towers killed Christmas Day, 5x towers killed December 31st/New Year's Eve (including Larry Kizer killed in Kentucky yesterday) and 3x towers killed New Year's Day, including Andre Dove-Ferdere Killed today.

It's always seemed that working holidays were supposed to be quiet, yet nothing can be taken for granted these days.     R.

Randall C. Resch

We want to thank MISSION BBQ for donating lunch yesterday to our O’Hare Towing Crew and Andrew’s family to enjoy. Your generosity during this difficult time is appreciated more than you could ever imagine. Also thank you to all those who have called, messaged and sent flowers, we are so lucky to be in an industry that is so supportive.

We also want to thank DuPage County Health Department for sending out three amazing women last night from their crisis team to offer grief counseling to our crew.

For those asking, there will be no truck processional but only a private memorial for Andrews family, friends and O’Hare Staff. Again, thank you to everyone for the kind words and messages. 💚