Quantcast
  • Join the TowForce community.

It looks like you're not logged in. Register to get started and to receive Tower Down Notices.

Tower Down 12.31.19 (KY) "UPDATED"

TowNews

LMPD tow truck driver killed on WB I-64 near Cannons Lane

LOUISVILLE, Ky. — A Louisville Metro Police Department tow truck driver was killed on westbound I-64 near Cannons Lane.

Officials said around 9:15 a.m., the driver was dispatched to I-64 to tow a truck that had been abandoned on the highway.

While the driver was hooking up the truck, something went wrong and the driver became trapped under the vehicle, according to police.

Police said the driver was pronounced dead at the scene. Officials said no one else was injured.

According to police, the driver was a city employee who worked for the vehicle impound unit LMPD has. His name was not immediately released.

Officials said the westbound lanes are expected to be shut down for several hours, so motorists should seek an alternate route.

The traffic and public integrity units are investigating.

RESOURCE LINK with video

LMPD tow truck driver's death on I-64 ruled accidental

It appears the death of a Louisville Metro Police Department wrecker driver was an accident, according to a coroner's report.

LMPD released more information Thursday about the death of Larry Kizer, who died while attempting to tow an abandoned truck on I-64 two days earlier.

The 62-year-old was dispatched around 9:15 a.m. to the highway near Cannons Lane. Police said he was hooking up the vehicle when the tow truck began rolling backwards. He then became stuck underneath of the wrecker.

Police said a good Samaritan stopped to render aid. He called police via his cellphone and by the radio in the tow truck.

Kizer died at the scene, police said. The state medical examiner ruled the death an accident by mechanical asphyxia.

Investigators say a key piece of information they are looking for is whether there were any mechanical defects that contributed to the incident. LMPD said there will be a full inspection of the wrecker on Friday.

LMPD said Kizer had been with the department for 18 years. He was once nominated for LMPD Civilian of the Year.

RESOURCE LINK with video

• Sad 1

Rest easy Operator. Your shift is over. A terrible way for our industry to end the year. I know there are still hours left in this year And I am hoping and praying this is the last tragic loss we have to endure for 2019 , but does any one have the total count on Operators killed this year?..  Mr. Resch??

PROFESSIONAL TOWING & RECOVERY IS NOT JUST A JOB.. IT IS A LIFESTYLE

Hi All ... Today's tragic death is another tough lump to swallow for the industry. If you've been following this last weeks forums and safety topics here, it's obvious that 2019 goes down as one of the deadliest years for the industry, slightly less than 2015. Grumps has asked if I have numbers?

My count for the end of 2019 now totals 51x tow operators killed in the line-of-duty in the US and another 14x worldwide.

I'll remind you that at least a dozen of individuals (or more) have their own counts for the year. Note: There is NO single source of data that is correct based on what numbers are totalled or what criteria leads to totals? I've been diligent in archiving tow operator fatalities for more than 25-years, and, have personally confirmed and archived as many as 957x towers killed since Kenneth Ray Davis killed in California in 1934. 

After the New Year, I'll share a breakdown of my numbers herein and also in Towman as to my yearly total for 2019. This year's crimes of violence against towers is at an all time high as well as are industrial accidents where towers are killed in workplace accidents,incidents and driving related accidents. I personally don't count persons working as tire technicians as those numbers represent another industry not that of towing and recovery. If someone working as a tow operator or tow service technician is killed on-duty, their numbers are counted. My count does not include those who died off-duty, but do include towers who died of a medical emergency while driving a tow truck, on-duty at the tow yard, or during a recovery or tow related task. Disclaimer: My numbers represent a personal project and I don't lay claim that my list is 100-percent accurate. The world's a big place and there's no way anyone can have accurate numbers.

To me, there is huge concern that of the 12x industrial accidents (resulting in tow operator fatality) were those operating carriers where they were run-over or crushed by run-away vehicles or crushed by a carrier during maintenance. Accordingly, the reason for me keeping statistics leads me to what topics are hot when it comes to training and tow operator safety. The industry's fatality record is NOT a good one where it demands and requires the need for on-going training. Training has to be combined with increased tow owner diligence in ensuring that their personnel are thoroughly trained and aware of the dangers associated with the industry. And, that goes for senior drivers who need to attend periodic training as a refresher to consider the bad-habits they may have picked up along the way. FACT: An accident is the product of the unknown. There's NO room for incompetence or cockiness that suggests ... "It's not gonna' happen to me."       R.

• Like 1

Randall C. Resch

-- 

Christopher Parrish
Community Manager / Web AdminTowing Information Network
Tow411.net | TowForce.net | Tow.Photos | TowCareers.com | TowTruckShopper.com
facebook.png twitter.png 

Thank you sir. I am aware that your numbers are not rock solid but I am aware that you do keep as good as possible statistics on these horrible tragedies. It has certainly been a very rough year for our industry. Although I am sure it is not something that you take pride in doing but, keeping track of these fatalities and injuries is a necessary evil. We as an industry MUST take the steps required to prevent these tragedies. Of course there will ALWAYS be unavoidable accidents, equipment failures and so on. I do really feel that MANY of these fatalities and injuries can be avoided. I agree with Mr. Resch  that this industry is plagued with the "its not gonna happen to me" syndrome. Complacencey  kills. There is NO such thing as a routine tow or recovery. and the sooner we as an industry begin to realize that, the sooner these horrible statistics will go down instead of up.

PROFESSIONAL TOWING & RECOVERY IS NOT JUST A JOB.. IT IS A LIFESTYLE

I am going to keep my thoughts brief as I have worked with this good man for many years. I got word of the tragic event that has taken this Tow Operators Life early this morning. The phone started ringing and I had numerous texts, several making sure I was not involved. My shift had ended and I was home when the event took place. I haven't added my Thoughts & Prayers as this loss is very hard to except. I have been in shock most of the day and now the reality sets in.

I want to wish everyone a Happy New Year, though our New Year is not Happy having tragically lost a member of our unit. Please remind everyone on your team of the dangers we face and though they have heard it numerous times tell them to be safe out there. None of us know when we will be effected directly by such a loss. Yet, we all know it can happen when we least expect it. God Bless

Please Lord Not More... Watch your back drivers, a life can be taken just this quickly. I remind our drivers constantly of the dangers we face. We have families that with every towers death beg their family member to find another line of work. This is in our drivers blood, the ones that have tried to leave. They eventually find their way back as they are not satisfied.

In Loving Memory of

Larry Kizer

1957 - 2019

Larry Kizer, 62, of Louisville, Kentucky, passed away on Tuesday, December 31, 2019. Larry was an Impoundment Officer with the Louisville Metro Police Department for over 18 years. He loved his beloved cats, Casper and Little Man, and his beloved dog Dixie. Larry was always known for feeding and helping the cats in the Impound Yard. He enjoyed bike riding, roller skating, going to the beach, and spending time with his grandchildren. Larry was a season pass holder for Holiday World where he would take his Grandsons.

He was born on July 27, 1957 in Fort Benning , Georgia to Frank and Ruth (Lawson) Kizer.

Larry is survived by his Daughters Amy Kizer (Deric Pollock), and Bethany Kizer, Fiancée Shelia Benson, Parents, Sister, Ann Kizer Waggoner, Grandchildren, Jaylen Stallard, and Deric Dewayne Pollock, and numerous Nieces and Nephews. Larry also leaves behind, to cherish his memory, the Louisville Metro Police Department Family, Extended Family and a Host of Friends.

Visitation will be from 4:00 pm to 8:00 pm on Wednesday, January 8, 2020 at Newcomer Cremations, Funerals & Receptions - Southwest Louisville Chapel, (10304 Dixie Hwy). His Funeral Service will be at 11:00 am on Thursday, at Newcomer Cremations, Funerals & Receptions - Southwest Louisville Chapel.

In Lieu of Flowers, family requests that contributions in Larry’s memory be made to Alley Cat Advocates www.alleycatadvocates.org.

To leave a special message for the family, please visit
www.NewcomerKentuckiana.com

Services & Gatherings

Visitation:

Wednesday, January 8, 2020 from 4:00pm to 8:00pm
Newcomer Cremations, Funerals & Receptions
10304 Dixie Highway
Louisville, KY  40272
502-935-0056

Service:

Thursday, January 9, 2020 at 11:00am
Newcomer Cremations, Funerals & Receptions
10304 Dixie Highway
Louisville, KY  40272
502-935-0056

• 11 months later...

Today our crew remembers Larry Kizer who lost his life in the Line of a Tow Operators Duty.

Please Pray for All Tow Operators to arrive home safe an sound at the end of their day!

Almighty God, Whose great power and eternal wisdom embrace the universe,
watch over all those in towing. Protect them from harm in the performance
of their duty out there on our roadways all round the world. We pray, help
them keep safe both day and night.

We recommend them to your loving care because their position is dangerous.
Grant them unending strength and expertise in their daily assignments.
Dear God, look after our brothers and sisters. Grant them your almighty
protection and unite them safely with their families at the end of the day. Amen

There is a memorial wall at the tow lot that I will take pictures of next week.

Larry Kizers name would have been added to the Wall of the Fallen back in October if not for Covid-19.

I'm sure will get it done next year, lord please don't take anymore Tow Operators as there are all ready too many names going on the Wall next October.