Quantcast
  • Join the TowForce community.

It looks like you're not logged in. Register to get started and to receive Tower Down Notices.

Two Towers Down - 10.25.20 (MT) "UPDATED"

TowNews

Two tow truck drivers struck and killed while recovering a vehicle on I-90

MT102520A.thumb.jpg.e291106bf7a1f644dc80ecc24efcbd97.jpg

COLUMBUS — Two tow truck drivers were struck and killed by a passing vehicle while trying to recover a disabled vehicle from an Interstate 90 ditch near mile marker 413 east of Columbus Sunday at 6:20 a.m., according to Montana Highway Patrol.

A 28-year-old man from Reed Point and 37-year-old man from Billings had two tow trucks set up in the eastbound passing lane on I-90 when they were hit. They both died at the scene. Their names have not yet been released.

According to the MHP, an 18-year-old man from Utah was driving a 2016 Dodge Ram 3500 pulling a travel trailer and didn't see the brake lights illuminate on the semi truck in front of him, whose driver was slowing down for the tow trucks.

The Greenville man moved into the passing lane to try to avoid a collision with the semi when he hit the tow truck drivers.

Speed is considered a factor in the crash, according to MHP. Alcohol or drugs are not suspected to be involved. Road conditions were icy at the time of the crash.

The Greenville man was wearing a seat belt and not injured. The semi truck driver, a 54-year-old man from Waden, Minnesota, was also uninjured and wearing a seat belt.

The tow trucks, a 2002 Chevy C Series and 2006 GMC 999, were also involved in the crash, according to MHP.

At this point, there is no word on whether any citations will be issued or charges filed. We will update you if we get more information.

RESOURCE LINK

Notification from the Yellowstone Tow Truck Association FB Page:

This Friday, October 30th at 7pm, we will be lighting up the night for our fallen brothers, Nick Visser and Casie Allen of Hansers.

MT102620A.jpgMT102620B.jpg

Keep your eyes towards the rims. We ask that anyone wishing to see this, please view from the downtown, west end or southside areas. The rims will be reserved for our 1st Responders, all are invited from near and far!

Casie Allen Memorial Fundraiser
mT102620D.jpg

Nick Visser Memorial Fundraiser
MT102620C.jpeg

The Towers Poem was included in the notification
The tow operator stood and faced his Maker, which must always come to air. He hoped his chains were left behind and he hadn't brought them on to bare.

"Step forward now, wrecker driver how shall I deal with you? Have you always rendered aid? To your Maker, have you been true?"

The tower, with dirt on his hands, said "No sir, I guess I ain't. Because those of us who drive wreckers can't always be a saint.

I've had to work most Sundays and at times my talk was rough, and sometimes I've taken people cars, because life is just that tough. But I never took a penny, that wasn't mine to keep.

Though I logged a lot of hours when the bills just got too deep, I never passed by a cry for help though at times I had little to gain, and sometimes, please forgive me, I could do little more than feel their pain.

I know I don't deserve a place among the people here. They only wanted me around in their worst of moments there. But if you have a place for me here, well...it need not be too grand. I never expected or had too much so if you don't...I'll understand."

There was silence all around the room where the saints respectfully stood. As the tow operator waited quietly, for the judgment...bad or good.

"Step forward now, wrecker driver, you've borne your burdens well. Come tow on heavens streets, You've done your time in hell."

Casie Allen
MT102620E.jpg

MT102620I.jpg

MT102620J.jpg

Nick Visser
MT102620F.jpg
(Image from 2020)

MT102620G.jpg
(Image from 2018)

MT102620H.jpg
(Image from 2020)

The comments all say that Hansers does everything right, set so much safety and warning signs.
Shows that even when our industry is aware of the dangers and take precautions we continue to
lose a great number of tow operators. What Next?

This is a huge loss for our company.   It should be noted that the operators had traffic warning signs up as required by Montana Law.  As well as cones,  fuses and battery powered flashers.   They had reflective gear on.  

These two were great young men.  They are in heaven watching over their families now.  

I will never understand why people drive 80 mph on ice and snow packed roads.  He ran over the cone taper 1000 feet from the accident.   

I wish all states had the resources to keep officers on scene.  Montana just doesn't. 

Spence Hanser 

• Thanks 1

• Platinum Sponsor

OMG this is so sad I am heart broken for the 2 families that lost there love ones.  Sending prayers for there families, co-workers, and friends.

Contact: Doreen Aragona - Integrated Leasing - Office: 800-551-4854 Ext 20

Email: Doreen@integratedleasing.com  Cell 516-852-5740

integrated18.jpg

www.INTEGRATEDLEASING.COM

My prayers and thoughts are with the families of these men. May they rest easy.

As a business owner, I couldnt imagine losing one man, let alone TWO on the same job. I would be devastated.

This has gotten PAST the point of ridiculous... Is it time to start completely closing a roadway for any type of roadside incident? What else is there?? SDMO laws are a complete JOKE. 

Imagine if we all demanded that a roadway, ANY roadway be completely shut down before we enter to perform a tow or recovery. Maybe that is the only way that we will stop getting murdered by these knuckle dragging morons...

• Like 1

PROFESSIONAL TOWING & RECOVERY IS NOT JUST A JOB.. IT IS A LIFESTYLE

There is no excuse for this kind of stupidity. Two lives lost because somebody believed he couldn't afford the little bit of extra time to drive safely, and obey the law. This company, and the families involved will deal with this needless tragedy forever.

In my opinion, this is not an accident. It was a deliberate act, with no regard for the consequences. I can only hope that The Montana Tow Truck Assn. will step up and hold some feet to the fire. We don't need any more incidents making headlines, then just going away.

Light duty towing & recovery in Whitehall MT since 1980.

What a terrible and sad situation our condolences to the families, we will be lifting them up to the Lord in prayer.  Im with Grumps on this, what in the world can we do to stop this carnage? Though I don't know what the answer is but surely their must be some answer on how to stop this from happening so often. According to the code in Arizona it is illegal to run red & blue on a truck. But the code says nothing about portable battery operated red & blue on a foldable saw horse, and I have built one. They move right over as soon as I switch them on !!

Maybe I should start manufacturing them ??

Edited by Old Tow

What a senseless loss of life in such tragic circumstances ....our sincere condolences,  thoughts and prayers go out to the families, friends and co workers of these  two men...

From the whole Towing industry in the UK ....

WE FEEL YOUR PAIN BROTHERS  !!! 

The guys appear to have done everything right .... but how the hell do you protect against gross stupidity of one reckless individual...?

I hope the law is applied in the strictest manner....to the driver..

John.  

We should do the lighting up EVERY FRIDAY at 7:00 pm , until this is fully recognized as a serious problem on our roadways ... let’s get news across the country covering the lighting up ... I’m so sorry for all involved and their losses ... this one really hits us hard as a whole ... I’m effin freaked out to even work on our roadways over this ! .... Ron , your in charge of this forum ... put it together ... be safe everybody 

• 11 months later...