Quantcast
  • Join the TowForce community.

It looks like you're not logged in. Register to get started and to receive Tower Down Notices.

Passenger claiming they got hurt in my truck!!!!!!!!

TowZone

We have the same issues here in California. Passengers having a hard time getting in and out the truck .some jump out the truck and face plant on the ground.but this is not our liability. We are not allowed to help in or out especially if they are female. And the sad part is we have to take them with there vehicle.true we are not a taxi but for some odd reason the motor club thinks we are it's a constant battle.so my opinion is the member knows the risk ahead of time .its a big truck and if they can't deal with it find another ride but they choose to take the risk.we have to stay diligent and respectful but we let them know ahead of time if they need a taxi or not.if they say no it's out of our hands.my opinion is take better care of your vehicle then you won't have to get a tow.its simple but we don't live in a world of intelligence so all we can do is make people aware and if they choose to take a chance then that's on them.the funny part of this is its mostly the basic members that give us the most grief on all issues .tell you the truth I think I may have some of these people sign a waiver before they attempt to get in my truck that should end our worries of dishonest money hungry  Tyrants.

16 hours ago, Johnny Sofranko said:

We have the same issues here in California. Passengers having a hard time getting in and out the truck .some jump out the truck and face plant on the ground.but this is not our liability. We are not allowed to help in or out especially if they are female. And the sad part is we have to take them with there vehicle.true we are not a taxi but for some odd reason the motor club thinks we are it's a constant battle.so my opinion is the member knows the risk ahead of time .its a big truck and if they can't deal with it find another ride but they choose to take the risk.we have to stay diligent and respectful but we let them know ahead of time if they need a taxi or not.if they say no it's out of our hands.my opinion is take better care of your vehicle then you won't have to get a tow.its simple but we don't live in a world of intelligence so all we can do is make people aware and if they choose to take a chance then that's on them.the funny part of this is its mostly the basic members that give us the most grief on all issues .tell you the truth I think I may have some of these people sign a waiver before they attempt to get in my truck that should end our worries of dishonest money hungry  Tyrants. 

don't most of us already have customers sign damage waivers already? it's pretty simple to just add it to the existing waiver

A waiver is only worth the paper it is printed on if one can substantiate negligence. In this country, anyone can sue another if they feel that they have been harmed or wronged. If a customer jumps out of your truck and face plants, you are in a much more advantageous position if you have a sign explaining three points of contact. Remember, you are an evil business owner, who makes a PROFIT. Shame on you. But, seriously, you as a driver and or as an owner can be sued if a customer is injured exiting the truck. And you can be found liable. Your insurance carrier would probably just settle to put the issue to bed. Never assume that you are not liable. That is a very dangerous mindset to perpetuate.

I have not used a waiver in years for anything. Someone somehow will find negligence. Especially in my towing grounds. Someone has a lawyer in the family or knows a lawyer. I just do my best to accommodate. In my experiences anyone who had trouble getting in or out were at the time felt embarrassed of their health. At times yes it takes time but every call is completely different then the next. It's a tough life when we are creatures of habit.

Edit add: When I was in a bigger chassis I always instruct people when getting out face me and go down. Do not walk out and use 3 points of contact. Its something many people do not do. In my training the 3 points of contact have saved my tail from harm many times. Need to be aware that what we do all day long getting in and out of that truck could be a learning experience for other people as their first time.

I still wonder what the industry will do when the Insurance says "No Customers as Passengers". I understand the challenges this presents to companies operating in rural areas. However, many urban companies are beginning the go in this route. Explaining to the customer when they call they will need to arrange for transportation. The industry should have begun accumulating the public to this years ago. It is a very rare occasion that I place anyone in the truck. I used to get all kind of negative feedback when I stated that years ago. However with so many incidents occurring with customers physical and mental issues that tide is turning. Your Thought's?

Heck, I'm surprised when they fail to report negligence. 

Oh you struck a semi wheel and tire on the freeway traveling 70 MPH and blew 3 tires?

You say my driver scratched your bumper with the cable on your lower valance while he was loading your car?

Well tell me what part of your bumper was left on the car after the collision first, lets start there!!

People!!!  Seems everywhere I turn I see this!

We had this problem on a regular basis when we were running all UD's,

People would just open the door and step out, Do you not remember climbing up into the cab 15mins ago?

Best part is the lack of arm or leg strength most people don't possess, we had to tell them all the time to turn around and climb down & out like they were on a ladder.

• 3 months later...

I have actually equipped all of my trucks with in cab camera's.   the ones I Use are actually the same ones used by law enforcement for their patrol cars.  The ones I have installed are made by a company called Kustom Signals.  you can actually find them for really good prices if you buy the slightly older units when law enforcement agency's upgrade to the newer models.  mine are all digital eyewitness ION eclipse systems.  and as long as the person uninstalling them takes their time and doesn't just chop the wires you can buy them complete with 3 camera's and all the sensors for around $ 300 bucks. and they are color night vision cameras with audio.  the nice thing about these, and the reason law enforcement uses them is all the video's are embedded with a watermark that ONLY Kustom signals can read so the video's are admissible in court if it ever comes to that.  I consider it cheap CYA insurance.

On 9/24/2018 at 2:58 PM, BlackAutoload said:

Heck, I gotta go start a cab company now. 

On 9/23/2018 at 3:10 PM, TowZone said:

I still wonder what the industry will do when the Insurance says "No Customers as Passengers". I understand the challenges this presents to companies operating in rural areas. However, many urban companies are beginning the go in this route. Explaining to the customer when they call they will need to arrange for transportation. The industry should have begun accumulating the public to this years ago. It is a very rare occasion that I place anyone in the truck. I used to get all kind of negative feedback when I stated that years ago. However with so many incidents occurring with customers physical and mental issues that tide is turning. Your Thought's?

UBER, LYFT, etc.

Richard

I don't think we'll every get away from taking passengers, especially with the push from this industry to minimize on scene time while on highways. We have to do something with the people who were in the car when it broke down, and I'm not about to wait 30 minutes on the side of a 4 lane highway waiting for Uber to arrive. That being said, I always stand next to the passenger door and physically point out the grab bars to customers. I don't help them up or touch them, but it's hard for them to face plant when I'm telling them where to step and put their hands.

Officers will have to transport drivers and passengers to a safer location. At that point they will have to contact family, friend, cab, uber, lyft, etc. Insurance will not cover them and you cannot charge more for passengers. Towing companies have been giving this service away for too long now. NO where does it say you transport people or animals. YOU transport vehicles!

If you have a DOT# and/or MC# { which is required if you are interstate). All FMSCA regulations apply.   You can be ticketed without passenger authorization paperwork(personal information etc.) & proper passenger insurance on your commercial insurance policy

Odds are nothing will happen until a serious accident occurs & insurance refuses to pay.   Owner will be held responsible, fined & sued.  

There is specific insurance for livery, cab etc

that has nothing to do with commercial trucks

• 1 month later...

I have purchased all the systems I have from eBay.  just have to make sure they are complete.  some she wiring.ellers think they have the overhead console and that is a complete system.  also have to make sure the wiring is in tact. some of the folks who uninstall them just hack the crap out of the wiring.  I just looked and saw 5 different complete systems listed.

I personally don't like taking passengers for a variety of reasons. The main one being possible injury claims. As far as the original post, the passenger claiming she got burned by the stack will probably win her case, it's sad but true. I can see the courts saying there should be guards in place to prevent contact with the stack. In my opinion it is impossible to set up your rig as idiot proof. There is no such thing as common sense in society anymore. Of course, there are situations where you have no choice but to take on a passenger. I always make sure to instruct them on how to get in and out of the truck properly, wear their seat belts, where the grab handles are, etc... Luckily I have towing contracts with a couple of the local taxi companies so I am able to offer a taxi to come pick up the customer. The taxi companies give my customers a discounted rate in exchange for a discount on their towing needs. Not saying everyone should run out and work out a deal with a taxi co. It just happened to work out that way for me and so far, so good. I find that most customers would prefer to ride in a taxi as opposed to my truck since most times they don't want to go where the car is going anyway. The customer wants to continue on with their day with as little interruption as possible.

PROFESSIONAL TOWING & RECOVERY IS NOT JUST A JOB.. IT IS A LIFESTYLE

• 4 weeks later...

Archived