Quantcast
  • Join the TowForce community.

It looks like you're not logged in. Register to get started and to receive Tower Down Notices.

Called me 7 times in 24 hours for same tow

Stuart Wagner

They started calling me Saturday morning at 9:00 am for a motorhome tow that was 80 miles away in a campground. It just snowed 1 foot the other day so I am sure getting a motorhome out of a campground would be real fun and customer was only covered for 15 miles, yay, make a bill for customer and Agero. I turned it down. They called 4 more times throughout Saturday. 4:30 am Sunday their automated man called and woke me up for the same tow, I hit turned down the call for out of area. 7:00 am Sunday morning a woman dispatcher calls me for the same tow and woke me up, I went postal on her. Geez, I wonder why nobody is taking on a 1997 motorhome tow on a weekend in a snowed in campground going to a shop that is only open Monday?

cjwagner.png

Check out our website at:  www.cjwagnerinc.com

I certainly dont miss that crap from Agero. That very same scenario played out at least twice a week between me and them. Especially when they started up that automated crap. 

I gotta say, One of the best things I ever did for my business ( And my mental well being😡 ) was to tell those bozo's to kick rocks..

PROFESSIONAL TOWING & RECOVERY IS NOT JUST A JOB.. IT IS A LIFESTYLE

I just started to play with the clubs this year, Honk is the worst for me with the automated stuff.  I deleted the APP from my phone so if they want me they have to call me and if it is automated I just hang up until it is a person on the other end of the line.

I also set my radius at 5 miles, which for me, is at the end of my road.  Anything over 5 miles, I get to tell them my rate.

I have had a couple repeat calls from some of the other clubs like you have and after the second time I give them a rate that is way overpriced and that usually gets them to move on.  If it doesn't I will make good money on it.  I would have quoted them for a helper in the wrecker,  plow truck, cinders, and the tow, that would likely done the trick. 

A good friend will bail you out of jail, but a great friend will ...

Mr Wagner handled it the same way I would have. Agero does not care that theres a foot of snow on the ground, Its 7 degrees outside, Its 80 miles away, etc. They are still going to try to pay the bare minimum. My feeling is the risk of damage goes up due to inclimate weather conditions so the rate goes up. IF I even feel it safe enough to do the job. 

Like he mentioned, It was in a campground, more than likely snowed in and 80 miles away.... Nope, Im good on that one.. Agero couldnt pay me enough...

I am on the forefront of my next battle with Agero.  It is certificate of insurance time again.  I noticed that they took it upon themselves to raise the insurance requirement to a million dollars of liability insurance, and $150,000 for on-hook coverage, without negotiating that with me.  Before I forwarded the certificate, I asked my insurance agent to price out the higher coverage.  The new rate would be almost exactly double what I am paying now.  Yet Agero is unwilling to provide a rate increase to cover that added cost.  So I forwarded the certificate with the previous coverage limits.  And that's all they're going to get from me.  If they are not willing to give me more calls at a higher rate, then we'll part company.  And when they call again, they'll be paying retail rates on their company credit card, like half the tow companies are already doing. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, thtdon said:

I am on the forefront of my next battle with Agero.  It is certificate of insurance time again.  I noticed that they took it upon themselves to raise the insurance requirement to a million dollars of liability insurance, and $150,000 for on-hook coverage, without negotiating that with me.  Before I forwarded the certificate, I asked my insurance agent to price out the higher coverage.  The new rate would be almost exactly double what I am paying now.  Yet Agero is unwilling to provide a rate increase to cover that added cost.  So I forwarded the certificate with the previous coverage limits.  And that's all they're going to get from me.  If they are not willing to give me more calls at a higher rate, then we'll part company.  And when they call again, they'll be paying retail rates on their company credit card, like half the tow companies are already doing. 

I have always been amazed at your stories from your dealings with Agero.   I am amazed you are still able to put up with them.  You are a much more patient man than me!  The best thing we did is kick them to the curb.  Now if they call, im usually $375 with a credit card, and it amazes me how often they will actually pay it.  I get wrecks here all the time that they cant find a provider to tow out to the direct repair shop across the street from me... we hit them with $175 to go across the street just for the hassle of dealing with Agero.

• Like 1

store_21169_logo_image_1613770811.png

2 hours ago, ESC said:

I have always been amazed at your stories from your dealings with Agero.   I am amazed you are still able to put up with them.  You are a much more patient man than me!  The best thing we did is kick them to the curb.  Now if they call, im usually $375 with a credit card, and it amazes me how often they will actually pay it.  I get wrecks here all the time that they cant find a provider to tow out to the direct repair shop across the street from me... we hit them with $175 to go across the street just for the hassle of dealing with Agero.

👍AMEN TO THAT !!!👍

I have said it once, and I will say it again, The absolute BEST thing I ever did for my business ( and my own mental health for that matter ) was cancel all my motor club contracts. Agero was the last one.

Like ESC, They are all  CC up front, $275 min. charge And the card is ran for whatever the quoted amount is Before I even start my truck. 

Now dont get me wrong, I am no where as "busy" as I was when I was contracted with those bozo's, But the Numbers simply dont lie. Now, EVERY time either my partner or I go out on a call, there is REAL PROFIT made. I can run 3 in-town, private calls a day,  be home in time for dinner with the family and STILL make twice what I would have running all over gods green earth chasing club calls for 12-14 hours a day. 

• Like 1

I had talked to Agero and passed on working with them due to insurance requirements as well.  They and Urgently want the million liability and the 150K on hook.  The guy from Agero told me that it is because they have a contract with some exotic or similar club and they move high dollar cars. 

I told the Guy from Agero that I would not raise my insurance but that I was also not interested in moving exotic cars.  It makes absolutely no sense for me to load a car that is worth hundreds of thousands of dollars and get paid a towing fee even if it is a long distance tow.  Not worth the risk for the pay.  Most common carries have limits and if you want more insurance you buy it yourself, think of adding insurance to your UPS package.

The best part is they are both still calling me a couple times a week and I am getting my full rate.  If they need coverage in your area they are going to call you with, or without a contract.  And I still would not load an exotic car, don't need to impress anyone, I want to make money.

As far as the out of area calls and repeated calls, they will keep calling down their lists until they get someone, simple as that.  They do not care about us. 

We need to leave our phones on for our business's and getting those calls is part of the game if you are going to work with the clubs. Telemarketers piss me off more than these people.

I just started working with a couple of the clubs this year, and so far, when I really don't want to take the call I give them a price that makes them look elsewhere.  When I do take a call it makes me money, not retail or police rotation, but profitable.

On this RV call I would have asked questions, about location, are the roads plowed to two lanes, is the RV shoveled out, how far from the main road etc.  Then I would have told them I would not run that far without taking a plow truck with cinders along with the Tow truck driver and a helper.  I would also have made it as two separate tows if I could not take it directly to the repair facility.  Priced it accordingly and then they would likely have moved on OR I would make a good pay on it.   Let them go find the answers we need to bid the job, every time I have asked for additional information they have gotten it for me.  If they could not get the information I tell them that I have to price it at the worst case scenario rate.  I had one rep tell me a few months in that I could get more calls if my rates weren't so high, I told him I am good where I am. 

No sense it getting upset, life is too short,. 

Stay Safe

I was chatting it up with one of the other local guys in town a few weeks back and the subject of Agero's huge insurance increase had come up. ( He is a contracted provider for them ) and he was going on and on about how it was worth it because now they give him calls for exotics and race cars needing tows out of the Watkins Glen road course not far from here. So,  I asked him " Do you get a higher rate to deal with those types of cars?"  His response was "well, No"  So, your paying an increase in your premiums with No increase in income just to be "cool" and drag the occasional Lambo or Porsche around?? 

You can Imagine what the look on his face was like as his shit-eating grin melted away... 

Why does that bring back memories of the drivers that wanted to work the race track even though they were not being compensated for their time. It was volunteer with the reward of being able to work the track infield and pits. No Thanks, I'll make the company money and those guys can show off the name of the company. Now, who actually made money... I've been told that is debatable. Paying a higher insurance rate to tow exotics for the same money as a junker. That's same kinda ______ .

They did have an exotic rate on my sheet but it was not really that much higher, maybe 10%, I dont remember but no where near enough for me to take the risk.  I am getting old I guess, the cars just don't excite me much any more.  My fun in on the snow, much cheaper and triple digit fast!

The clubs are new to me but I take it as it comes, either I make money or I don't go.  My shop is my main interest and the trucks are making me money when they would have been sitting before.  It has also put me at a point where I can bring a guy on, part time for now but if he works out there is plenty of work for him.

No need to get upset, just play their game.

I remember the day that I got called to tow a Ford GT.  I went to the car, and the spoiler was less than 1/2 inch from the ground.  I couldn't even slide my hand under the spoiler.  No amount of lumber that I carry would help.  Finally the customer told me to leave, because he wanted to tow it himself on his car trailer.  Sounded good to me.  I couldn't get out of there fast enough.  That night, I Googled the Ford GT.  I come to find out that the car was worth over $300,000.  And it was Agero's intention to pay me the same fee to tow a $300,000 Ford GT, as they would pay me to tow a $3000 Ford Focus.  What a joke.  I have avoided towing high-end expensive cars for Agero ever since. 

Today I received no calls from Agero.  Not even those annoying "out of area" calls in Maine.  Whether I have been suspended or not, I do not know.  If the drought continues, when they finally do call me, which they probably will, they'll be paying retail on the company credit card. 

One of my favorite Agero stories had nothing to do with me.  One of my friends owns a tow company, but is not an Agero provider.  He got a call from Agero to tow a motor home.  It wasn't too far away from him.  But he was busy and declined the tow.  They kept calling him every 15 minutes, until he finally accepted the call.  His price?  He charged them $3000 to tow the motor home.  And they paid it with the company credit card.  When my friend responded, the motor home was gone.  And he kept the whole $3000!  He's my hero!

When I read that form that Agero sent me, and I realized that they raised the level of insurance, I took the position that a change like that needs to be negotiated with all of us, and not shoved up our butts.  Evidently, they don't negotiate with terrorists (us), LOL!

Agero loves technology.  But most of the technology that they use is garbage.  I have responded to many calls at a specific residential address, only to find out that the car is on the highway.  They found the closest house, and that's the address they gave me.  So when I arrived at the residential address, I was actually nowhere near the car.  Obviously, they are using crappy mapping software.  It was never like that before.  I hate dealing with the Swoop app.  When they call, I get that "clang, clang, clang, swoosh".  Why I haven't launched my phone across the room at the wall, I do not know. 

• Like 2

As I expected, I did get suspended by Agero because I failed to prove to them that I have a million dollar insurance policy.  I contacted my insurance agent, and asked him how much it would cost to raise the limits.  He said that for me, it will be almost double.  Even with a rate increase that I negotiated.with Agero, it still isn't enough revenue to cover such a huge increase in insurance. 

I think that they are being a little short sighted.  Nationwide, they will lose a percentage of small operators like me who don't do enough volume to justify such a steep insurance cost.  And that will leave them with mostly bigger operators who are busy enough with everything else that they have going on.  Agero will not be a priority for them. 

I do have other motor club clients.  But maybe losing Agero at this time would be a good time to retire.  I just applied for Social Security this past week, although I want to keep working.  It has been my intention to keep going to at least July of 2022, a year and a half from now.  It was in July of 1972 that my father bought the first tow truck.  In July of 2022, I will have been doing this for 50 years. 

Enough is enough. 

Maybe I'm weird but I have absolutely zero interest in hauling someone's exotic or race car. I don't work on them at my shop either. The owners care a whole lot about their prized possession and I'm the monster that puts a hook on their baby. And invariably the owners are Hawkeyeing the whole time. One scrape and they are hopping around "relax bro have a cognac". 

• Like 1

Thtdon, Keep in mind, Depending on the amount of competitors you have around you that are contracted with Agero, They will still be calling you if there isnt anyone else around who didnt bite onto their crap.

The main difference for you now is you will be saying to them " It will cost $$$ And the minimum charge is $$$. and it is credit card up front"

Now, when and if they do call, you will make real money off them.

Congrats on such a long and distinguished career. Maybe I will make it that far. This is my 28th year. 

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

I kicked agero to the curb about 10 years ago, and have no motor club contracts any more. They convinced me at one time that they would give me more work if I signed a contract. Now, keep in mind that they had been calling me anyway and paying commercial rate, no contract, no insurance on file with them, no nothing. I discovered, after I had signed a contract at a discounted rate, that the contract meant nothing to them. They would call and ask for a price and ETA on a tow. I would respond that the price would be my contracted base rate & mileage. They would insist on a number and then go down their list, price shopping. Since I cancelled the contract, they still call regularly asking for price quotes, which I give if the call is in my area, but I refuse anything out of area. They never accept until at least a half hour of looking for a cheaper deal. When they do accept and send the credit card info, it is usually at least an hour after the first call, but they always ask for an eta, what's the point of that. I feel like asking, "what's your ETA on actually dispatching this call?". They have called me twice, today on the same tow. Each time, I have accepted the call and gave a 30 minute ETA. The calls were 35 minutes apart, with the last one coming 2.5 hrs ago. I'm still waiting for the call dispatch and credit card info. If I ran my business like they do, I can't imagine being around very long.

Edited by fenderbendr6
extra detail
  • Like 2

Light duty towing & recovery in Whitehall MT since 1980.

• 2 weeks later...

HA!!!!

Long story short, Agero STILL owes me $1,250 from way back when I was accepting their p.o.'s. ( over a year ago ). They called me the other day in regards to a wreck I had in my yard. They wanted to get the towing and storage totals so it could be towed to a body shop that is litterally across the street from my yard. After giving them my charges, They asked if I would be willing to tow the vehicle there on a p.o.... I told them No...I am no longer contracted with them and NEVER will be again.  But I would give them a price to pay via credit card..... The price was $1,350.... ( $1250 they owe me plus $100 for the secondary tow)... She said that it was kinda high.. My response was well, this is my business and I set the rates... I wasnt gonna get into the back owed monies with her, theres no point in it...They turned it down and called one of their knuckle draggers to tow it there.... So I figure with their now 10 free miles, the Bozo company came all the way over and towed that turd for about $25 or so... All this after I even had to help the clown load it because he didnt have a clue as to what to do with it. ( the whole front end was gone and up on blocks )... 

You get what you pay for Agero....

• Like 1