Quantcast
  • Join the TowForce community.

It looks like you're not logged in. Register to get started and to receive Tower Down Notices.

Re: Screw-In Eyes? Yes? No?

A previous post showed a pic of a carrier loaded with a rare Porsche.

If you're that transport business specializing in exotics, how many of you use the factory eyelet to winch-on and winch-off a expensive vehicle using the eyelet?My question isn't intended to start negative banter back and forth, more so to see what tower's use to load vehicles like this Carrera 980 GT with value around $450,000.

I personally don't trust a man-made, threaded loops, that can't be seen and one that's mounted behind a bumper's cover. Because I'm old school, I prefer to carry and use any number of loops, straps, axle staps and ratchets. And, when it comes to delivering these kinds of exotics, I take my time to ensure safety and securement. I've witnessed the results of what a stripped or damaged loading eyelet can create.

If you use loading loops, do you employ a catch-strap? What tricks can you share?     R.

Screw-In Eye Loading.jpg

Randall C. Resch

Using anything other than the FACTORY tow hook may cause damage when loading & is more so a liability.  As long as you are following manufacturers guidelines & the factory tow hook has no visual damage.   A catch strap is a good idea, but, I would not attach a strap around ANY suspension component on a exotic & winch onto a rollback.   Aside from a component failing/bending, if the strap contacts any painted surface or applies pressure to a body part & causes the slightest damage, the operator is 100% at fault

Tow hook failures are caused by operators not following proper usage.  They are engineered, hopefully correctly, like all towing attachments

• Like 1

I personally do use factory tow hooks as long as they are in good condition and the port on the vehicle is clean and aligned properly with the opening in the bumper cover or valance. i have had ones that just didnt appear right and after closer inspection I have found the car was poorly repaired from a wreck and the bumper support or another piece was bent or twisted causing the hole not to line up. if that is the case then I will not use it because I cant tell if there is any issue with the section that the tow eye screws into. I found one once that after taking a good look at it I noticed there was only 1 bolt on each side of the bumper support that were re-installed after repairs. outside the car looked excellent but hidden behind that shiny bumper cover was a disaster. I pointed it all out to the owner and he was not impressed and stated he would be contacting the body shop that did the work a couple months back. If things are twisted or broken back there and have been hidden by a nice bumper cover then i dont trust them. I also do not use any type of catch strap because it will cause alot of damage if for some crazy reason the tow eye was to let go. Keep in mind, those tow eyes are only meant for loading and unloading the vehicle off a roll back. they are NOT meant for recoveries, locked up wheels or lifting the car. They are also not meant for securing the vehicle to the truck. I always slack off my winch after I get the vehicle secured to my truck with wheel straps or 8-points etc.

PROFESSIONAL TOWING & RECOVERY IS NOT JUST A JOB.. IT IS A LIFESTYLE

I have been told those multi use tow eyes will damage the threads and render them useless. A local tow company pull the whole attachment off the car using the steck device. Never heard how expensive that was or exactly how it happened. Driver said he was using skates to get a car on the bed when it broke loose. If the bumper had not soften the release he said it may have hit him as it was hooked on the passenger side and he was winching on the drivers side. So, I can see that...

12 hours ago, yoBdaBenO said:

I have been told those multi use tow eyes will damage the threads and render them useless. A local tow company pull the whole attachment off the car using the steck device. Never heard how expensive that was or exactly how it happened. Driver said he was using skates to get a car on the bed when it broke loose. If the bumper had not soften the release he said it may have hit him as it was hooked on the passenger side and he was winching on the drivers side. So, I can see that...

I have seen them for about $ 175-$200 price wise. I can see how it caused that damage if he was skating the vehicle on using the universal tow eye. If the vehicle doesnt roll freely, then I wouldnt use any tow eye.

PROFESSIONAL TOWING & RECOVERY IS NOT JUST A JOB.. IT IS A LIFESTYLE

Personally I use these soft straps around the lower control arms as said before I don't trust the factory tow eye, you never know what's been done to the eye prior or if the female receptacle has been involved in some kind of trauma in a prior accident & the body shop took a short cut repairing. I had a whole bumper/mounts tear/come disconnected on an import years ago while loading a free rolling Toyota on my deck, luckily to was as the car just approached the deck & it did not roll away wildly, I was using the factory tie down loops. Someone had been there before & done a shoddy job. I like the comfort of a closed 

/latched securing method.

lp11-ec44-x-3.jpg

Hello from sunny (when its not raining) Orcas Island

We Use Straps! You don't know where that female receptor has been. Has it been damage in a previous encounter "A WRECK". Has it had a Male that Didn't Fit inserted. You just don't know and there in lies a huge liability and Yes we did go by the training and use them at first until the concerns where raised and we found we would be liable for those preexisting damages. I'll take the chances doing it old school...

16 hours ago, Moose said:

We Use Straps! You don't know where that female receptor has been. Has it been damage in a previous encounter "A WRECK". Has it had a Male that Didn't Fit inserted. You just don't know and there in lies a huge liability and Yes we did go by the training and use them at first until the concerns where raised and we found we would be liable for those preexisting damages. I'll take the chances doing it old school...

Sounds like my first girlfriends description, ;)

Hello from sunny (when its not raining) Orcas Island

• 5 weeks later...

Thanks guys for all of your responses. As an update to this topic, here is a link of rare camera footage showing a detaching tow eye during a simple load and go request. Here is video proof why tow eyes, without the aid of a catch strap, release. Around the 8:30 mark, the Mini detaches and rolls away. The quick video shows how customers and tow operators are run over and killed in those, "OH SHIT", moment of unexpected rollaway. I personally won't allow a dealer's service writer to tell me that using towing eyes is the best and safest way to load a vehicle on a carrier's deck. Note: The operator is a seasoned, experienced tower and this happened out of the ordinary.This Cooper wasn't wrecked and it appeared to be in-neutral on a flat surface creating minimal resistance. This is the reason I teach straps and agree with those of you that use straps too ... seeing is believing. This video is a standard for every carrier class I teach.   R.

Edited by rreschran
Added info
  • Like 1

Randall C. Resch

If it's a newer car and the hook is easily accessible I'll use it. If not I go to the control arms with soft straps. We had one of the universal to eyes, used it on a dumped impound and bent it the first use. Called Steck, they sent a replacement and we bent that one the first use too. It seemed to us that it wasn't strong enough to withstand the slight side pull that comes with offset holes. They are now paper weights.