Quantcast
  • Join the TowForce community.

It looks like you're not logged in. Register to get started and to receive Tower Down Notices.

Agero forcing vendors into new contract terms

ESC

So we have been a contracted vendor with Agero since way back when Cross Country was a big deal.  We have seen it all from them.  Over the years we have distanced ourselves from them.  Years back we had a great area rep and great service with them.  Fair rates and over 300 calls a month in our immediate area.  At that time our acceptance rates and scores were above 90%.   Over time, our costs went up, rates stayed the same, that great rep moved on and the new reps were terrible.  Over the years we basically almost stopped working with them and most other clubs.   It made more sense to take better care of or retail customers and police work and keep our fuel and maintenance costs down rather than chasing the low budget club calls around.  Our rates at this point have become horribly outdated.   We maybe take 3-4 calls a month for them at this point which may be a jump start across the street, or a tow from our yard to the body shop up the road.  I even have their numbers blocked on my cell phone so when calls come in after hours they Agero wont disturb me. This morning I open an email from Agero... see it pasted below. 

I read over the new terms and find it funny that there is no mention of new rates, raises, bonuses or compensation of any sort.  Typically for those that know Agero... or any club for that matter.   But what really got me fired up is that today is Feb 6th.... I just got the email within the last hour.  The terms of the new deal take effect Feb 1... yes, thats 5 days ago.  No big deal... but then I read that you accept this contract and all of its terms just by logging into their billing portal or using any of their apps, etc.   So they are basically saying sign, or no longer work with us.   No problem for me.  They have now been cut off and moved to credit card for 100% of our services.  We will charge them a $375 minimum up front on ALL services.  I am tired of playing games with clubs.   I am fortunate that my dad started here going on 31 years ago and we stay busy enough without having to depend on this horrible clubs.  I feel for those small guys that make their living on companies like Agero.  But, I hope many of you see this and decide to stand up against these clubs pushing you around.

In all honesty, if they update the rate agreement and move us to a fair rate, I have no problem continuing to work with them ... but we all know their version of fair is the $50 tow that we can no longer do for them.

Dear EAGLE SERVICE CENTER,

We've updated our Terms and Conditions, effective February 15, 2020. You'll be asked to accept the entirety of the new terms the next time you log into AgeroSupport.com, but here's an overview of what has changed since our last Terms update. You'll be required to: 
  • Compliance 
    • At our request, provide evidence of your permits and licenses to conduct your services in compliance with local, state, and federal laws
  • Service
    • Use your best efforts to meet the ETA that you have provided us in the dispatch process as well as provide us prompt notice if there is likely to be delays in arriving at the disablement site
    • Not change the tow-to destination or modify the dispatched services without our prior authorization
  • Confidential 
    • If your services are located in California, comply with the new California Consumer Privacy Act (a summary of compliance terms is attached to the New T&Cs)
  • Invoices
    • Submit your invoices within 60 days (the submission period has been 120 days, but our clients are demanding that we speed up the submission of invoices)
    • Raise any disputes over payments within 30 days after we've notified you of the payment
  • Insurance
    • Increase your insurance coverage (the required insurance coverage is detailed in the New T&Cs)
    • Provide us with a new Certificate of Insurance at your next renewal cycle, effective April 1, 2020
  • Ethics
    • Comply with our ethics policies in your engagement with Agero

Below is the link to the new contract:

https://agerosupport.com/WEB.UI.Images/TandCs-4.pdf

store_21169_logo_image_1613770811.png

13 minutes ago, BlackAutoload said:

The big deal I saw was upping on hook ins to 150k. 
I had to login this am and agree to the terms just to submit a invoice from last week.
Playing the motor club game is rough . 

We currently have 120k.... everywhere else we exceed their requirements.    Agero (and other clubs) just want to keep taking from us.... I cant do it.

Got the same email today. My insurance already exceeds their minimums but for how long? I dont see any mention of increased rates or better, more educated and intelligent dispatchers that know how to look at a map and realize that I am located 2 hours away from the jumpstart or 3 mile tow instead of call me 7 times to try and get me to go do it AFTER I already told their automated call the same thing.... I have a feeling I wont be providing service for agero for much longer.

PROFESSIONAL TOWING & RECOVERY IS NOT JUST A JOB.. IT IS A LIFESTYLE

I am not contracted with Agero. All Agero #'s blocked as they can not figure out we are on an island surrounded by water & can only get to their member by ferry boat ride & they call me non stop with out of area calls day & night. I feel sorry for their poor dispatchers as when they used to call me they have already been turned down by every other tow company within 100 miles. In addition the poor members stuck on the side of the road relying on their roadside assist to get them help, 2-3-4 hours later..... 

• Like 1

Hello from sunny (when its not raining) Orcas Island

41 minutes ago, Orcas Tow said:

I am not contracted with Agero. All Agero #'s blocked as they can not figure out we are on an island surrounded by water & can only get to their member by ferry boat ride & they call me non stop with out of area calls day & night. I feel sorry for their poor dispatchers as when they used to call me they have already been turned down by every other tow company within 100 miles. In addition the poor members stuck on the side of the road relying on their roadside assist to get them help, 2-3-4 hours later..... 

I was told not too long ago by a agero dispatcher who seemed to be somewhat intelligent when I questioned why I am constantly getting calls usually 45 - 60 miles away that when they take a call from a customer that their system breaks down providers into a region and that these regions that are set up by them are about 150 -  200 square miles. That region has a call list of providers from within it. The dispatchers just start calling down the list untill they get a provider to take the call. I dont see it being very difficult to pull up a map and say " hey this towing company is here and my client is here" but apparently it is for the likes of agero. But hey, what do I know, I am just a dumb tuh truk driva....

17 hours ago, GRUMPS The Towman said:

I was told not too long ago by a agero dispatcher who seemed to be somewhat intelligent when I questioned why I am constantly getting calls usually 45 - 60 miles away that when they take a call from a customer that their system breaks down providers into a region and that these regions that are set up by them are about 150 -  200 square miles. That region has a call list of providers from within it. The dispatchers just start calling down the list untill they get a provider to take the call. I dont see it being very difficult to pull up a map and say " hey this towing company is here and my client is here" but apparently it is for the likes of agero. But hey, what do I know, I am just a dumb tuh truk driva....

Ive asked the same questions, for years with the same answer, "Sir we are just going down thew call list". Again, poor customer waiting on the side of the road for hours because of Agero's poor mapping.

• Like 1

Hello from sunny (when its not raining) Orcas Island

4 minutes ago, Orcas Tow said:

Ive asked the same questions, for years with the same answer, "Sir we are just going down thew call list". Again, poor customer waiting on the side of the road for hours because of Agero's poor mapping.

Its always been such a shame.  As much as I hate clubs, I dont see them going away.   But youd think with all of the technology available today they would have the ability to make a system that works.  If they would get some of us with common sense together and they would treat their providers right, they really could do well.     They waste so much time and money trying to find companies to do the work.   They send one company 20 miles away and give another company a job in my shop parking lot, etc.  Its insane, and seems so simple.   Years ago they treated us ok and we made it work.   I rmemebr 12-15 years ago we got $40 a call to tow 3 miles and $40 for road service.  We averaged 300 calls a month in a 10 mile radius.  Youd get a tow, and on your way to that do a lockout, then load up and grab a tire change on the way back etc.  I made it work well for years.    Over time they gave the light service to a $20 guy working in a car.  Now I cant afford to make the tow job worthwhile.  It made us pinch pennies and really look at things.  I know better.  The trucks cost too much to run.  If the call isnt making enough, the truck can stay parked.... its  more profitable that way.

I was told today by my progressive insurance agent that he can’t even offer me 150k on hook. 

I wouldn’t expect it to matter much. I am assuming Agero is just putting it out there to say they required it. In the end they are going to dispatch the cheapest company they get to do the call.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  • Like 1

Agero also dispatches multiple tow companies at one time. When you pull up to do a call another company is there, then in Towbook the call gets digitally cancelled and you cant even get a GOA. You try to call and go through hoops just to try to talk to someone about the GOA. After an hour on the phone they tell you to deal with billing. WTF ? This happens mostly when the "Command Center" or Escalation Team calls. Thats when you know they didnt call you first and the cheapest service provider didnt show up to the call yet and is late by hours . You cant speak to a field rep any longer and build a relationship, you have to email the Provider Advocate Group and go back and fourth with nonsense emails. We dont have time to stand by and wait for email solutions. Its frustrating having to fight for your $1.00 but want the best service you can give at a cheap price . They want clean trucks , updated equipment, but wont give a fair rate to justify. Trucks are no longer cheap and the insurance is also crazy.

They want clean trucks , updated equipment, but wont give a fair rate to justify. Trucks are no longer cheap and the insurance is also crazy.

We just pulled some old paperwork from when we bought our first new truck. A 1998 Chevy 6500 flatbed. It costs us under $60,000 all in when we bought it. Just this year we bought a new Hino which is basically the same spec truck obviously with newer technology and all and it cost $125,000.

Let’s just say our Agero rates are still near the same as they were in 98.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  • Like 1

11 hours ago, GarrisonD said:

I was told today by my progressive insurance agent that he can’t even offer me 150k on hook. 

It took me a few years of being a good boy with no boo-boo's to get $150 hook coverage. if you are a newer company or small like myself, that might be why your agent cant do it yet. Like ESC said, dont worry yourself too much about it. If Agero has you in a contract, they are still going to use your services. they just need to cover their asses if the s#!t hits the fan. There is a couple guys around here that I am shocked they even have coverage with all the damage and accidents they have caused and they still run Agero calls all day every day.

If you have a shop you should be able to piggy back off your Garage Keepers ..We have $180k on hook.. Luckily my drivers are careful and trained no big claims. Yes you get the occasional " You towed my car and that scratch wasnt there" but if that the case we just do a quick repair. My drivers take pictures before and after and its stored in Towbook

Back in the day (as they say) we used to do a lot of work for Agero when fuel was $1.50 a gallon for the same money they pay us today, and we were secondary. Then the two other companies in our area quit Agero, and we thought we would become the Primary. NO WAY because about that same time a new company came into our area, running junk yard ready trucks for towing, personal cars for fuel delivery, jump starts, etc. and working for cheap, CHeap, CHEAP-O rates. Our Agero calls went down to almost Zerrrooo. Agero has NO consideration for faithful companies that have been with them since before Cross Country. Now days most all companies that call are price checking. Not good for us anymore !  🥺

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Old Tow said:

Back in the day (as they say) we used to do a lot of work for Agero when fuel was $1.50 a gallon for the same money they pay us today, and we were secondary. Then the two other companies in our area quit Agero, and we thought we would become the Primary. NO WAY because about that same time a new company came into our area, running junk yard ready trucks for towing, personal cars for fuel delivery, jump starts, etc. and working for cheap, CHeap, CHEAP-O rates. Our Agero calls went down to almost Zerrrooo. Agero has NO consideration for faithful companies that have been with them since before Cross Country. Now days most all companies that call are price checking. Not good for us anymore !  🥺

Totally agree with that

Been with Agero 10 years same S#it different day I was  only running accident and secondary tows because I could add extra equipment and labor My rates haven't changed in those years ( not because I have not asked) Not once have I seen a rep Lost count how many there have been I blocked all their numbers after they accepted, dispatched and provided an ETA for a out of gas call at 3 am one morning Customer started calling me wanting know where I was Had my enough of them after that !!!

We had a serious accident happen and after all the years of paying progressive they denied the claim. We actually had to sue progressive to get them to take care of the claim.... Sad day when you have to pay an attorney to get a claim accepted. Anyone know of a better insurance company to cover garage keepers??

I read that letter on Agero's dispatch page this morning for the first time.  I will not respond to them at all.  The last rate increase that I have gotten from them was in 1997.  I have asked repeatedly for an increase, but with no success.  They have cut the winching fee in half by cutting the time that they will pay for in half.  So I stopped winching cars out of snowbanks and mud for them altogether.  They get the customers to pay over-mileage to them directly at the $4.00/mile over-mileage rate that we charge, while expecting us to do the whole call at the lower basic mileage that they want to pay us.  I could go on and on.  But I won't.  I refuse to pay one cent more for anything that they require to handle their calls, unless I get a raise.  I am 66 years old.  I have been contracted with them for 35-40 years.  This year I am going to semi-retire and start collecting Social Security.  But I am still going to work, at least part time.  I guess when I start collecting Social Security, that will be my raise!!! 

thtdon

• Like 1

6 hours ago, thtdon said:

I read that letter on Agero's dispatch page this morning for the first time.  I will not respond to them at all.  The last rate increase that I have gotten from them was in 1997.  I have asked repeatedly for an increase, but with no success.  They have cut the winching fee in half by cutting the time that they will pay for in half.  So I stopped winching cars out of snowbanks and mud for them altogether.  They get the customers to pay over-mileage to them directly at the $4.00/mile over-mileage rate that we charge, while expecting us to do the whole call at the lower basic mileage that they want to pay us.  I could go on and on.  But I won't.  I refuse to pay one cent more for anything that they require to handle their calls, unless I get a raise.  I am 66 years old.  I have been contracted with them for 35-40 years.  This year I am going to semi-retire and start collecting Social Security.  But I am still going to work, at least part time.  I guess when I start collecting Social Security, that will be my raise!!! 

thtdon

Your hilarious thtdon.... I have been gone from the forum for about 6 years, glad to see you are doing well!

Rick

Hello there,  Could I get somebody to make a copy of that new contract and email it to me as an attachment?  No matter what I do, I can't open the link from my account page.   My email address is thtdon@msn.com.  If you could send me an email, with that page as an attachment, I would really appreciate it.  Thanks.

thtdon

23 minutes ago, thtdon said:

Hello there,  Could I get somebody to make a copy of that new contract and email it to me as an attachment?  No matter what I do, I can't open the link from my account page.   My email address is thtdon@msn.com.  If you could send me an email, with that page as an attachment, I would really appreciate it.  Thanks.

thtdon

I just sent it to you as a pdf attachment... let me know if it works.

1 minute ago, thtdon said:

Nope.  I can't open it.  Maybe you can send it as a regular attachment instead of a PDF attachment.  I seem to have difficulty opening PDF files sometimes.

I don't know how to convert to to anything else honestly..... i use adobe acrobat to open them.  they have a free download here: https://get.adobe.com/reader/

Once you download Adobe it should open up no problem.

21 minutes ago, thtdon said:

Thank you guys.  I have several copies of it now.  It looks like a good read.  I'll save it to read when I am on the throne later on, LOL!

Thanks guys!

thtdon

Awesome!  I am curious to see what your feelings are on the issue.  I know you have always been pretty active with Agero and you don't seem to take much of their crap.

From what I see it is the same of stuff from them, with very little that is new in the contract.  For me, it was just the final straw with them.  This contract was forced upon us, with no mentions of any added compensation or raises, etc.  I'm over them.

Agero has been calling us this week asking us for help and we quote them $375 credit card only.  Some of the dispatchers are asking questions and they have even asked us if it had to do with the new contract, etc.  They must be seeing a trend.