Quantcast
  • Join the TowForce community.

It looks like you're not logged in. Register to get started and to receive Tower Down Notices.

Rollin' Rogue Goes Pole Dancing

We were called by our local PD for a single vehicle crash. They left out a few key details such as the car was on it's side, on top of the guardrail, with a debris field approximately 1000 ft long. The car failed to negotiate the softest curve a road has ever seen and blasted 2 poles. After clipping both poles down to about 5 foot tall, it started flipping through the grass. I counted at least 4 complete rotations, one of which took down a rotten dead pine tree that was 3 foot around. After the 4th flip the front dug into the ground hard enough to leave a foot deep crater, which pretty much stopped the car dead in it's tracks (finally). Unfortunately, it was still on it's side and it failed to clear the guardrail by a measly 6 feet. 

20191017_023519.thumb.jpg.829de6d82cd22e2b7ca2107cb00c3358.jpg20191017_023533.thumb.jpg.abaf1712fe29db36168a22c030a82354.jpg

The field was saturated thanks to the 1.5 inches of rain that fell a few hours prior, so our access was limited to the road side of the rail. My first action was to roll it over as it wasn't too stable teetering on just the rail. I set it down as gently as I could because of course the gas tank was super close to the guardrail post. Luckily the car landed without hitting the tank and we moved to step 2, lifting and swinging the car off the rail. 

20191017_031118.thumb.jpg.af847d68166621a3d641b0ebc253e5a8.jpgimagejpeg_1(1).thumb.jpg.157fd33511c99e43976d2ba9b3f8b91f.jpg20191017_031223.thumb.jpg.fcb3344845c6962bfb000bc92a42482a.jpg

It went smooth until it got to the return at the end, it kept snagging what was left of the exhaust. At this point we set the car back on the rail and carefully wiggled it off the rail. What I did was roll the car towards the driver's side with a high line just enough to clear the post and pulled the car to me with a low line. Think WreckMaster's 4/5 Cherokee hitch technique but using both winches instead of a rope.

20191017_032649.thumb.jpg.2355cb7bf736a25df68948c0afb4ebc7.jpg

20191017_033158.thumb.jpg.ebe6e8c1fdbff8efc50c38d107bd23ec.jpg

Once it was clear of the rail I moved out and my dad backed the flatbed in to load. Because of the many missing pieces in the steering and suspension, I used my truck to "steer" the car up the bed.

20191017_034117.thumb.jpg.3def32e5406949b07babe05a9b1ba3c9.jpg

imagejpeg_0(4).thumb.jpg.7301268e4f045a5fb18e37cffd592df7.jpg

After wiggling it up the bed and cleaning up the massive debris field, we took the car to the police  department's secure lot. I once again had to scoot the car sideways on the bed to get it to come off straight, as it kept sliding sideways instead of down. The job went about as smooth as I expected it would with so much going against us and we cleared the scene in a little over 2 hours. 

• Like 3

That's my only issue with the Renegade is the boom needs a little more reach. It always seems to be 6 inches to a foot too short.

And keep those male part comments to yourself, I hear them every time I say the boom is a little too short.

And Yes the unit could certainly handle the added length. How you get it is the mechanical engineers problem.

6 hours ago, mooresbp said:

Looks like you got it done without much more damage. Not second guessing you, was thinking maybe pick it up before rolling it over and move away from the rail?

That was actually the first plan I had, to lift it while on it's side and spin it away from the rail. Unfortunately the car was only sticking past the guardrail 2 feet and it was a pretty good distance from the end of the rail. Even if I had more reach I don't think it would have helped me as the car didn't want to pivot due to the front being dug into the ground. 

The other issue that made me decide to roll it first was how unstable it was. Resting on the guardrail on it's side, it was pretty wobbly. I didn't want to be stuck with the car in the air on it's side and not be able to control it if I had to set it down. 

Hey, while we do our best not to cause secondary damage. I look at those this way "You cannot hurt it anymore that it already is as this point. Professionalism however keeps us thinking about these recoveries. We tell the drivers to take their time, have a plan and execute that plan. Nice Recovery, Thanks For Sharing. 

• 1 month later...
  • 4 weeks later...