Quantcast
  • Join the TowForce community.

It looks like you're not logged in. Register to get started and to receive Tower Down Notices.

Taking Tow Trucks Into Flood Water

Wait till the water recedes, there is absolutely no reason to enter the water. The vehicles are already a total loss and what little fluids may leak with not be enough to contaminate the environment. The tow truck you see in this image may not be effected by this action tomorrow or next week. But it will show signs of failure within a month or two. unless the fluids are changed immediately.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

In the world of water hydrology, as little of 6-inches of rushing water has the power to move an automobile. Once that 6-inches reaches the lower portion of a door's seam, water that enters the vehicle's cab adds to its sinkability. If you go back to the 1970 El Nino storms in California's history, more than one full-sized RV was washed down the LA River Basin when vehicle drivers attempted to cross flowing roadways. As much as two-feet of standing can float a semi and trailer.  Not to mention, you would never see that the roadway under you has been completely washed out or there's a giant sink hole. I'mm adding a YouTube link of a semi truck and trailer that's taken on a riverboat like quality.   R. 

• Thanks 1

Randall C. Resch

• 6 months later...

I will only go in as far as the very bottom of my wheel and ONLY if I can see whats under the water. if it is murky then it will get winched from dry ground or get left there till the water recedes. There is no exceptions. I remember years back the horror my father went through when he lost a truck to water damage after going about hub deep to recover a police car. Insurance basically told him to go fly a kite and they wouldnt cover a penny of the damages. If i remember right, ( I was like 12-13 ) the transmission and both front and rear differentials took on water.

PROFESSIONAL TOWING & RECOVERY IS NOT JUST A JOB.. IT IS A LIFESTYLE

• 1 year later...

With the vents and such on axles, the components are not weather sealed nor are the electrical systems. Use Divers or Swift Water Techs. And for god sake if your going to wade out and try and get some put a life jacket on. But use the right ones. Bill Giorgis and I have done many seminars in regards to working in and around water. Maybe it’s time for an article on this.

• 1 month later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 9 months later...

With all the recent floods I just wanted to bring this topic back as a warning not to enter flood waters.

I assure you that vehicle is not worth your life. If you need to save a life then make sure you have the proper training to do so or it could be your life. Emergency Personnel will have everything they need to conduct a water recovery, you likely do not.

• 4 weeks later...

Watched as another companies driver walked out into about a foot to two foot of high water to hook a car.

Just 15 minutes after he left, the water went down and I backed in hooked up the other car and on my way.

I'm dry and he is all wet, don't you hate that... Gaining Knowledge & Experience which is always needed.

The water here goes down as soon as the rain slows or stops, it's just a very slow drain in a low area.

• Like 1

• 7 months later...
  • 2 months later...

We wait till the water recedes as it is just too dangerous and our trucks do not need to be in high water. Unless set up properly, every truck I have know which was intentionally have had issues starting with the rear end getting water through the vent.

• TowForce unfeatured this topic
  • 2 weeks later...
  • TowForce featured this topic
  • TowForce unfeatured this topic
  • 1 month later...

I think every situation is different, but as a rule (and there is exceptions) anything deeper than the wheel is a no-no. If the wheels get wet, the truck is immediately pulled from service and gets a full service and all the fluids get changed... no exceptions. Of course the service gets billed to the vehicle towed. 

• Like 1

"Oh, Just call ANYBODY!"

• 4 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...