Quantcast
  • Join the TowForce community.

It looks like you're not logged in. Register to get started and to receive Tower Down Notices.

Tow Truck Driver Falls Into Flooded Sinkhole on Cape Cod (MA)

TowZone

MY WORST FEAR REALIZED.... How many times have I preached about entering water?

Tow Truck Driver Falls Into Flooded Sinkhole After Car Hits Fire Hydrant

There was extensive flooding in Bourne on Friday after a car crashed into a fire hydrant on Williams Ave., subsequently creating a sinkhole.

Video shows the tow truck driver attempting to get the car onto a flatbed truck when he accidentally steps into the sinkhole, falling into water up to his neck. The man can be seen grabbing onto the open car door as he struggles to get out of the sinkhole.

Police say both the driver and tow driver are uninjured.

RESOURCE LINK with video

sinkhole.jpg

RESOURCE LINK 2

Ron makes a solid point here. Notice just how fast this tower (immediately) starts to sink when his uniform, jacket and boots are soaked with water? At least the tower had the presence of mind to quickly grab onto something. A sheared hydrant or broken water main can be under 350-pounds per square in. If the car is setting on-top of the pipe break, water is directed downward causing the dirt surrounding the pipe to immediately wash away. Otherwise a broken pipe in a city street (like shown) can cause huge erosion in the hole where the weight of a tow truck can easily break through. In his current situation, he could have drowned like a toddler in a 5-gallon bucket. I'm glad he's OK with another lesson to be learned, right?    R

Randall C. Resch

Rob, that's a good find. Thanks for posting this video, it gives a better look at the scene during and after the Tow Truck Operator Fell into the hole.

I am sure everyone who has seen this can relate to the Panic & Shock this driver experienced at that moment.