Quantcast
  • Join the TowForce community.

It looks like you're not logged in. Register to get started and to receive Tower Down Notices.

Tower Down - 09.16.20 (CA)

TowForce

9-16-20 Castaic Tow Truck Rear Ends Semi Truck Killing The Driver

9-16-20 | 12:08 a.m.

North I-5 South Of Parker Rd LACoFD & CHP Newhall responded to reports of a vehicle vs Semi Truck.

Officers arrived to find a flat bed tow truck under the trailer of a semi truck.

The cab of the tow truck was detached entirely from the frame and is resting on the freeway.

The frame of the tow truck is under the shipping container completely supporting its weight.

The 2 axles from the semi trailer were ripped off and found further up the freeway.

The driver of the tow truck was declared deceased at the scene by LACoFD

The Coroner is enrt from their office Currently all traffic is being diverted off at Hasley Canyon.

The driver of the semi is on scene cooperating with authorities.

CHP was working with Caltrans to open up the number 1 lane.

One Killed In Castaic Crash After Colliding With Big Rig

One person was killed in a Castaic crash early Wednesday morning after a tow truck collided with a big rig, officials said.

The crash was reported at about 12:01 a.m. Wednesday near the northbound 5 Freeway at Parker Road, according to Officer Josh Greengard, spokesperson for the California Highway Patrol (CHP) Newhall Area Office.

A Castaic Tow flatbed was traveling on the I-5 in the No. 3 lane behind a tractor-trailer, according to the CHP report.

“For an unknown reason, the tow truck collided with the rear of the tractor-trailer,” the CHP report reads.

A 63-year-old Ventura man was killed in the crash, with the identity of the victim not being released pending the notification of next of kin, according to investigators.

As a result of the fatal crash, all lanes of the northbound 5 Freeway were temporarily closed with traffic diverted to Hasley Canyon Road, according to the CHP.

Just before 7 a.m. Wednesday, the SigAlert was canceled, with all lanes open, according to the CHP.

Alcohol or drugs are not suspected to be a factor in the crash, the report said.

The cause of the crash is under investigation as of Wednesday morning.

RESOURCE LINK

What a horrible wreck.

My condolences to the operators family and friends.

With that hard of an impact, I have to assume the semi was stopped or going very slow when it was hit? Were the tail lights working at all on the semi? We all know the taillights on those container trailers are crappy even when they work properly. The tow truck had to have been moving along at a good clip. 

PROFESSIONAL TOWING & RECOVERY IS NOT JUST A JOB.. IT IS A LIFESTYLE

That part of I-5 near Magic Mountain has its share of semi truck traffic and higher speeds by motorists travelling through there.  I'm amazed that a conventional cab front would separate from the truck's fame as it did in that manner. Christine and I send our prayers to the family of the operator and Castaic Towing. 

That kind of crash is an investigator's nightmare. I did a tabletop re-enactment and have a theory as to how the carrier's cab wound up behind the semi and the carrier's deck, frame and wheels ended up under the SeaCan. The damage to the carrier's cab is one key area that adds possibility to the cab mounts shearing under impact, where the deck, frame and wheels continued foward in the height and space under the SeaCan.

R.

Edited by rreschran

Randall C. Resch