Quantcast
  • Join the TowForce community.

It looks like you're not logged in. Register to get started and to receive Tower Down Notices.

Restoration Project

KY Nick

Starting to restore this 525.  It is a 1956 model year.  Will be mounting it on a 1966 Ford F600 4x4.  Can anyone tell me if the body shown in the picture is a Holmes body?  It does have the tunnel box up front.  

20200415_120612.jpg

20200422_150757.jpg

• Like 1

Nick Schade

Tony's Wrecker Service

Louisville, KY

• 3 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

It was in its day.  This truck got us through a number of winters and it's fair share of off road recovery.  It used to have a large drag winch on it.  

Now its going to be retired and be a show piece.

Today's progress.  

20200610_143201.jpg

20200610_150507.jpg

Edited by KY Nick

Nick Schade

Tony's Wrecker Service

Louisville, KY

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Thanks for the posts.  

Just a couple of little updates.  Light brackets fabricated, Holmes plate polished, truck bar fabricated and mounted.  Waiting on controls to come back from machine shop to complete a full mock up install.  

20200714_132429.jpg

20200714_140253.jpg

20200629_171119.jpg

20200709_162516.jpg

• Like 1

Nick Schade

Tony's Wrecker Service

Louisville, KY

• 2 weeks later...

Hey NIck ... question ... did your company have the truck since new? Looking at the seemingly over-build of the, structure's mast, over-sized winch spools and the staggered  knobby tires, it looks like it could have been military?  What't the truck's history or did I miss that?     R.

Randall C. Resch

This chassis was the 1st chassis dad bought new in 1966.  It originally had a Holmes 515 that dad installed on it.  At one point in late 70's dad sold the truck to a local gas station.  Mom was not happy about that, so Dad had to go buy it back.  When he got it back he took the 515 off.  At the time we needed a four wheel drive.  He installed a 1942 Chevrolet transfer case and a 1945 International front axle and installed Warn lock out hubs.  What a machine off road.  He installed a 20k Tulsa drag winch with a Stringfellow mast to use as an off road truck.  All this from what he had laying around.  We used this for off road only.  The reason is has mud tires.  In 2017 we decided to start a restoration on the chassis.  Dad passed in 2018.  So in 2020 my brother and I decided it was time to finish it.

The wrecker crane is an original 1956 525.  Which is the year we went in business.  It was bought by an independent garage in Louisville mounted on a 1956 Ford.  That garage remounted it on a 1973 Ford along with some body modifications.  Eventually the local Fire Department got the truck to use around the training grounds.  I traded a small hydraulic Wrecker for this 525.  So this 66 Ford and 56 Holmes 525 is the closest I can get to out original 1946 Ford with 515SP which was our first wrecker.  It looks tall due to increased spring capacity.  The big drums were standard in 1956 according to the literature I have.

In trying to keep it original we have added some things that make it ours and the way Dad would have had it back in the day.  Can't wait to get it finished.

• Like 1

Nick Schade

Tony's Wrecker Service

Louisville, KY

That sticker's a great find NIck. ... XKE  ... one of the hardest cars to lift and tow without a wheellift and without a sling. The key was to release the reverse bonnet and lay a folded towel (longwise) in the gap of the hood and the firewall. Ya' gotta' love today's modern wreckers right?    R.

Randall C. Resch

• 2 months later...

I promise more truck pics soon.  We are in the final mock up stages before the cab comes off for restoration.  Just getting the lever controls on and adjusted.   Making brackets to hold equipment on deck.  Just a few little things hoping not to have to drill too many holes once painted.  

I did run across an item the other day that i had to pick up and will go great on here once completed.  I don't know what this came off of or if the serial number can be traced.  But I think it's a great find

20201001_120019.jpg

• Like 1

Nick Schade

Tony's Wrecker Service

Louisville, KY

• 9 months later...

Well after some set backs we are finally making some decent progress on the 66.  We are down to bare frame.  All the components are at their respective shops for rebuilding and restoration.  

20210716_170722.jpg

IMG_3494.jpg

• Like 2

Nick Schade

Tony's Wrecker Service

Louisville, KY

• 4 months later...

Frame is back.  Engine is rebuilt, original block but heads were cracked.  Differential, transfer case and axles all were dry ice blasted and getting painted.  New suspension ready to install.  

20211119_155941.jpg

20211119_160242.jpg

20211119_160300.jpg

20211025_120359.jpg

• Like 1

Nick Schade

Tony's Wrecker Service

Louisville, KY