Quantcast
  • Join the TowForce community.

It looks like you're not logged in. Register to get started and to receive Tower Down Notices.

Heavy Ram...

This one kicked my but a little yesterday...Dodge 5500 service truck that snapped off the tie rod end...

20230616_174922.thumb.jpg.191f1a5265feb50d3821861455ef031f.jpg

These are just too heavy for the 408. The truck does it "ok" but the unit isn't happy... Kind of can't wait to get a proper medium duty back...

• Like 4

• 4 months later...

I wonder if the superduty forks will fit the ram 4500s and 5500s front axles. I think the Rams use splicer front end and ford uses a dana. I am not sure the diameter sizes. I picked up a 5500 ram yesterday with my new International MV and century 2465. I don't have a much variety in the form of forks yet so I went ahead and just used vulcan scoops that came with it. I know that's the max I would want to pick up with them. However the truck picked it up and handled it like a fwd car. I was extremely impressed. Nothing like I was use to towing them with my past Ram 5500s.

20230418_130221.jpg

20231103_082116.jpg

• Like 5

6 hours ago, usmc041127 said:

I really wanted see what Jerrdan was going to bring to the table with the MPL60 but with little to no information and no tentative dates I had to got with another 2465. 

I sold my backup wrecker last week (MPL40), and im holding out before I order anything else.... super hopeful that Jerrdan will release an MPL60 soon..... Patiently waiting....

Edited by ESC
  • Like 2

store_21169_logo_image_1613770811.png

Well…. It looks like it’s at the Baltimore show. Still waiting for exact specs.

This is about all I’ve found online so far. Can’t wait to get more details. Was hoping for the auto loader option…. Still hopeful that it’s available as an option.

I’m thinking Dodge 5500 Standard cab with the MPL60 and both tunnel boxes like shown here.

d5ab220a8721ccd6b45760bdf024f881.jpg
95c25ed4bb20270609155f2bb0178240.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 3

What part of it is "goofy" looking? Someone said to me that they thought it was odd how the boom protrudes past the down post but in order to have the 12 ton boom, it needs to be longer. It's still based on a minimum 60"ca chassis. The door openings are unconventional but having owned a previous Cougar, I can appreciate the large openings.

• Like 1

The tunnel boxes is what looks goofy. I think if it had your typical square tunnel box with one door would have been nice. And that may be an option on it. They may have just sent it to the show with what boxes thay had. I do like how the boom doesn't go into the tunnel box like on my 2465. You lose a little space. 

Edited by usmc041127

I think the tunnel boxes will take a little getting used to.  I really love the look of my MPL40, but I think the opening of these boxes will have more usability and function.  Looks like a much larger opening and box for more room.

3a8ca1a2a577afe6d8ff08aec352cd3f.jpg

Edited by ESC
  • Like 1

I just found a spec sheet at Easter wrecker.com

I don’t see anything about an autoloader option. Just the manual crossbar. As far as the specs go I love everything else. I just have some thinking to do…. Not sure I want to go back to the manual L Arms.  Optional grease fittings instead of the "Lubeless" Technology.... I LOVE it!!   Hated the lubeless crap as the pins never come out.

4f0f14c55de0a34ff8ba63c9d89b31ec.jpg
5264f49d64d1c4a2fa9089a031cba0fc.jpg

Edited by ESC
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, usmc041127 said:

I think if it had your typical square tunnel box with one door would have been nice.

It does have 1 door on each side? The red truck has double tunnel boxes. The box looks more proportionate to a 550 chassis, it will sit right below the rear window.

I'll find out more about the Auto Loader today w/ engineering. I know it's in the works. It will be like the new style on the carrier though that swing the arm all the way back. That is going to be the new standard for the MPL series as well.

• Like 2

26 minutes ago, EdsTowing said:

I'll find out more about the Auto Loader today w/ engineering. I know it's in the works. It will be like the new style on the carrier though that swing the arm all the way back. That is going to be the new standard for the MPL series as well.

That right there is exactly what I have in mind.... if they put that new style auto loader on there, I am sold on it! 

Something else Id love as an option is rather than a sling, just a tow bar.  Those sling rubber straps are always the in the way.

• Like 1

20 hours ago, usmc041127 said:

Not to sure about L arm storage on them.

IMG_0928.jpg

IMG_0927.jpg

Having to rely on bungee straps is a little hinky. Straps don't last 6 months around us before they dry rot and break apart. A holder that didn't need a cheap rubber strap to hold it in place would be better in the environments we deal with, imo

• Like 2

On 11/17/2023 at 10:42 AM, ESC said:

Something else Id love as an option is rather than a sling, just a tow bar.  Those sling rubber straps are always the in the way.

So I understand your thought on the straps in the way but there is a reality involved here. The highest towing ability of the unit would be on a old school sling since it would be the closest to the center line of the rear axle. Guys are used to the tow bar attachments on the 408 but in reality, they aren't any real added ability because it's still off the wheel lift. This was their only viable choice sense it isn't set up for a conventional sling. This new unit does have a Tow Bar...it's set up for forks. Put a set of chain forks on it and you could chain sling it off the wheel lift bar, just like the competitors. But the bottom line, till you extend the wheel lift to turn, you will be 8-10" further away from the wrecker back panel so your capacity will be diminished. The one truck down there had the LD sling storage mounted on the boom which adds efficiency for installation but is gaudy to work around. I don't know if I would leave it on or not? I would also like to see what the rating is on that sling compared to the MD sling that was on the older Cougar.

As for the L arm placement, I think it's out of the way which is nice. I also think they will sit there without any securement but law says that components have to be secured to the body. I agree, the bungee strap idea is short sighted & looks "hinky"...a better solution needs to be investigated. In my case, I think they can stay there without the straps.

The controls are pretty nice. They have been tested for a few years at R&D as well as they are on other lines of bodies and they have been proven to be reliable. I like the option with the cover, mainly for my environment where we have snow piled on it. You'll also notice there is a blank spot for the "Self Loader" option once unveiled. 

Edited by EdsTowing
Spelling
  • Like 2

So I understand your thought on the straps in the way but there is a reality involved here. The highest towing ability of the unit would be on a old school sling since it would be the closest to the center line of the rear axle. Guys are used to the tow bar attachments on the 408 but in reality, they aren't any real added ability because it's still off the wheel lift. This was their only viable choice sense it isn't set up for a conventional sling. This new unit does have a Tow Bar...it's set up for forks. Put a set of chain forks on it and you could chain sling it off the wheel lift bar, just like the competitors. But the bottom line, till you extend the wheel lift to turn, you will be 8-10" further away from the wrecker back panel so your capacity will be diminished. The one truck down there had the LD sling storage mounted on the boom which adds efficiency for installation but is gaudy to work around. I don't know if I would leave it on or not? I would also like to see what the rating is on that sling compared to the MD sling that was on the older Cougar. 

I’m all for the tow bar/sling. But I could do without the rubber straps. Just an old school towbar like I have on my Vulcan 896. I have no need for the rubber straps in my way all the time. Having that tow bar there I’m all for in those cases where I need it. Same on my MPL40 I’ve always wanted to have the setup modified to just have the bar itself.

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, EdsTowing said:

My current HPL60 I specifically asked for no rubber sling straps, don't need them and didn't want them in my way like they were on my MPL40.

As for the L arm placement, I think it's out of the way which is nice. I also think they will sit there without any securement but law says that components have to be secured to the body. I agree, the bungee strap idea is short sighted & looks "hinky"...a better solution needs to be investigated. In my case, I think they can stay there without the straps. I am with you 100% on this.

I pointed this tiny issue out to the owner of East Coast this weekend and he said they will be addressing this issue.

The controls are pretty nice. They have been tested for a few years at R&D as well as they are on other lines of bodies and they have been proven to be reliable. I like the option with the cover, mainly for my environment where we have snow piled on it. You'll also notice there is a blank spot for the "Self Loader" option once unveiled. 

I spoke with RG on this a month or so ago and he said they get rave reviews on these controls on the new 25 ton and he was all about them....that is all I needed to hear.

Ed, going back to your original post, is your F550 counterweighted? My truck tows so well with that JerrDan winch bumper I have to be careful I don't go overboard.

My F600 chassis is ordered and is scheduled to arrive Mid April, so I suspect my new truck will debut in Baltimore next year....lol.

Chuck MacLellan

ERSCA Certified Independent Trainer

2 hours ago, Towman92266 said:

Ed, going back to your original post, is your F550 counterweighted? My truck tows so well with that JerrDan winch bumper I have to be careful I don't go overboard.

My F600 chassis is ordered and is scheduled to arrive Mid April, so I suspect my new truck will debut in Baltimore next year....lol.

Yes I counter weighted the front due to the weight deficiency between a Power Stroke & my 7.3 gasser. The difference is nearly 1000 lbs on the steer. I got this weight from our Miller dealer which was 400lbs. Mounted up under the rad support, it adds a little over 600lbs to the steer weight which helps. 

20220611_111912.thumb.jpg.03642c3c6ae4cdd11d62b402f4f80e45.jpg

20220611_120353.thumb.jpg.73d383652e8a9651d65b4348c0b3a5b1.jpg

That image is looking in the wheel well opening. You have to look for it to see it which is what I wanted. It helped a lot...would be even better if it had a tunnel box as well but this truck was done for a specific reason and it does that good. My son Joe covered this weekend while we were at the show and towed this 20' E450 Uhaul and he said he was impressed how it handled it...

20231118_01.thumb.jpg.ffac69738d975651bc33ac51a1e03577.jpg

Now in rain or snow, you have to be cautious like this because it can get "sketchy" up front...LoL But every man must know his limitations....

Supposedly my unit is sitting at the factory but we are getting a confirmation on that tomorrow. Maybe I could have my 600 together by the Florida Show?... We will see.

• Like 1

• TowZone unfeatured this topic

Nice set up. I remember seeing that option from Miller. My current ride is a F550 Extended cab with a 84" Ca. It has the Jerr Dan winch bumper that also has counterweight besides the winch. My front axle GAW is 6500lbs and as it sits it weighs in at 6300 or so. I am very happy with the way it tows.

I am looking forward to seeing your truck when it is done....might have to stop by and see it when it is done.

Chuck MacLellan

ERSCA Certified Independent Trainer

1 hour ago, Towman92266 said:

weighs in at 6300 or so.

That's nice...and the unit can handle it too.

Here is a F550 Diesel 4wd dump I moved in to the garage the other day...

20231122_121416.thumb.jpg.cbe467d2115f7a893546037d58145006.jpg

Now I couldn't go down the road like this...my steer was skidding all around. But the MPL40 is so strong.

• Like 1