Quantcast
  • Join the TowForce community.

It looks like you're not logged in. Register to get started and to receive Tower Down Notices.

Would you change a battery on the side of a busie fwy

carl4tow

If i am reading this right, it died while driving and is now dead on an off ramp partially blocking a lane. So...... what good is replacing the battery going to do?? There is an obvious issue ( Alternator, Belt, Regulator ) other than the battery if it quit running down the highway. Grab hold of it quick and get it off the highway.

PROFESSIONAL TOWING & RECOVERY IS NOT JUST A JOB.. IT IS A LIFESTYLE

I agree that working service calls and flat tires are a deadly practice. George's comment is a fast and easy solution for a quick fix to get the vehcile moved. The concept of roadside repair is alive an well on the Autobahn and formerly a concept of consideration by major auto clubs called, "On the Go Strategies". While the thought was customer convenience and satisfaction, it doesn't negate the fact that increased time on-scene is that main factor where tow operators, service technicians, and motorists get killed. Accordingly, from California's Freeway Service Patrol Manual, Section 18, Ten-Minute Mobilization Period, it states, "An operator is allowed to spend no more than ten-minutes attempting to mobilize a vehicle. If the necessary service or tire change takes longer, the operator shall tow the vehicle off the freeway to an approved drop location and complete the service." My company policy says that I won't send my drivers to get injured or killed for the price of a service call.      R.

• Like 1

Randall C. Resch