Quantcast
  • Join the TowForce community.

It looks like you're not logged in. Register to get started and to receive Tower Down Notices.

Tight Squeeze

We were called the other morning for an overturned vehicle off the roadway. Upon arrival, we found a newer model Cadillac Escalade that had struck a pole and overturned in the woods. I'm not quite sure how the driver managed to squeeze the vehicle into the spot it was in, but we had no room to upright it where it was due to trees on either side being too close. 

1000003656.thumb.jpg.1ee77c13621d58597bee5027bdbf638f.jpg

We elected to slide it into the road on its side, then perform the upright.

1000003661(1).thumb.jpg.f439ef9ca5260ba22dffa308cf02b671.jpg

20240209_030501.thumb.jpg.4df7d0546cc132617ecec75038aa4db2.jpg

Once we had the room we put it in it's wheels where it was loaded on a bed and we were on our way. 

20240209_031655.thumb.jpg.c2f1b4a6d5def473f6738b5c69795e0f.jpg

• Like 4

Nice Work! Hopefully he had good insurance! Not bashing, but just curious if you usually send a rollback and wrecker out right away to a call like this? We don't have any light duty wrecker, only a Med/Heavy, and rollbacks.

Edited by Derlyn Z

38 minutes ago, Derlyn Z said:

Nice Work! Hopefully he had good insurance! Not bashing, but just curious if you usually send a rollback and wrecker out right away to a call like this? We don't have any light duty wrecker, only a Med/Heavy, and rollbacks.

This area for some reason see a lot of full sends into the woods, and it can be over 30 miles from our shop. If we have a wrecker available we usually just send it with the bed at the initial dispatch because of the extended time it would take to get it out there after the fact. 

• Like 3

1 hour ago, dperone said:

This area for some reason see a lot of full sends into the woods, and it can be over 30 miles from our shop. If we have a wrecker available we usually just send it with the bed at the initial dispatch because of the extended time it would take to get it out there after the fact. 

We do the exact same.  Send a wrecker and a bed to most every accident, if for nothing else, at least another set of eyes to watch over everything or lend a hand.

• Like 3

store_21169_logo_image_1613770811.png

On 2/21/2024 at 8:19 AM, dperone said:

Yea I totally get it! If you are going to respond 30 miles away you definitely want to at least have 2 guys on this call. And if we had a light duty wrecker I am sure we would use it for that as well. We would usually just respond with the rollback with 2 guys on a call like this, we would only call out our heavy if it was something major. With that being said, a call like that would probably be a lot easier to do with a wrecker.

If we are notified on dispatch that the vehicle is in the woods, rolled over or anything more then a hook & go, we try to send a wrecker & rollback along with the Crash van if we can. In the middle of the night, we typically respond w/ just a rollback in an effort to not get everyone up unless necessary. Most of our work is in a 10 mile radius of the shop though so it's easier to back someone up if needed.

• Like 2

I'm a little different here with just me and a part timer (retired guy). I take carrier with side puller and will say most of the time will get what I went after, I have had to get 12 ton for a real hard pull but can only think of a couple of times that that has happened. The side puller is an amazing asset to have in the tool box. I am not saying you guys are doing it wrong, I would like to have someone else to bring another truck along many times, but we do with what we have.

• Like 3

George - - Moore's BP
We'll see you on down the road

10 hours ago, mooresbp said:

but we do with what we have.

George there's nothing wrong with that... There are times that Eddie will be out in the middle of the night and get some POS that's doubtful of any coverage and just drag it home... A lot depends on what's going on and where we can justify the effort.

My new rollback is almost done and has the Side Puller on it. It's our 1st truck with one on it and I'm excited to see it's abilities. Hopefully we will have it by mid March. They called the other day to go over lighting & accessories so it must be close. I asked him to send us a couple of photos...

• Like 2

Ed after having a sidepull I will not have another rollback without it. Someone that doesn't do recovery doesn't need a sidepull. It does ad a good bit of weight to the truck but it has saved me from having to call for another truck many times. If you have a sidepull the only advantage a wrecker has is if you need a boom to lift and 99% I can figure something out that I can just use the sidepull. Also the sidepull has gotten me out of bad situations when I'd get stuck I can let the outriggers down and pick the front tires off the ground and put lumber down and drive out. I've had a sidepull over 10 years now and wish I would have gotten one sooner. Earlier on I would see them and when I would talk to others about buying one they would say it's a waste ect. ect. and I never bought one then in 2012 I went to purchase a new truck and they had it already built with everything I made a deal and after getting use to the sidepull and seeing it's capabilities I was like damn I should have done this sooner.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

• Like 3