Quantcast
  • Join the TowForce community.

It looks like you're not logged in. Register to get started and to receive Tower Down Notices.

Popped Her Cherrie...

Had my 1st loaded unit last night with the new truck. Volvo with a coolant loss, coming up the big mountain grossed out...

20210605_185332.thumb.jpg.71bc22f11fd533d7809c6de01063d55c.jpg

We send the traffic control on most Interstate calls to move people over...

20210605_185341.thumb.jpg.2484d7fdccc5a4e98c51b99bf94ead01.jpg

It works...

Pulled shaft, aired tractor & service line to the trailer since we were 125,000. She did a good job starting off on the mountain. I topped the hill around 40 mph while my old Shaker would of been 25-30. It's a 5% 5 mile grade.

20210605_191617.thumb.jpg.1c173664a56693d9a64d815718e78067.jpg

Our shop will repair it on Monday.

• Like 6

How far will you tow a combo unit? We normally split them. So many of the dealers around us have a parking lot size of the average Mcdonalds  that you would never get the whole combo in the lot. I know we can't talk price but is the traffic control 25 percent of what the tow is or 50 percent?

cjwagner.png

Check out our website at:  www.cjwagnerinc.com

@Stuart Wagner actually I believe we can talk price in regards to additional services offered. This would include support vehicles and equipment as well as various other equipment. The total cost of the services rendered and an agreement on those costs is what should be avoided. Storage Rates are open for discourage as are regulated rate, unregulated rates are those that can be called into question. Perhaps @Michael McGovern will be along to fill us in on any changes that may have occurred over the years in regards to "Collusion". I know several years ago the agency that dealt with these investigations lost funding. I have not researched that in quite some time and my contact is probably retired by now.

• Like 2

On 6/7/2021 at 2:59 AM, Njsss said:

Any issues billing for the traffic control ?

15 hours ago, Stuart Wagner said:

How far will you tow a combo unit? We normally split them. So many of the dealers around us have a parking lot size of the average Mcdonalds  that you would never get the whole combo in the lot. I know we can't talk price but is the traffic control 25 percent of what the tow is or 50 percent?

So as for billing, no we haven't had any problem. Now like in this case, I don't give them an option....it either comes out or I'm not your guy. This job was a "G" note total to get it back to the shop, all inclusive. Sometimes I get 150-200 for the support...not trying to make a killing on it, I just want to get home. The van makes it's "bread" on accident scenes, this is just an added safety procedure that works.

As for "Combination Towing", it's not legal in PA unless "Ordered by an agent of the Commonwealth" so if the cop tells you to "get that off my highway", you roll on. Wasn't the case here but I didn't have someone else to bring the tractor out Saturday night. I took the "risk" doing it in my pond where I'm a pretty big fish. I'm hesitant in other peoples "pond" if you get my drift. The single truck job doesn't lower the price because Risk needs to meet Reward. Jobs like this I do by what it's worth regardless of what truck I use. Personally I have been "lucky" I guess...one day that luck will run out... 🤕

I have towed combos some pretty good distances but typically I didn't have good viable choices. Brought a loaded unit back from Westchester County NY because the replacement truck didn't show up. That was 135 miles, 120,000 lbs and 120' long...but at 2am I came back like a hole in the night... We have customers like you are saying with small facilities so I won't do it unless I know exactly where I'm going.

• Like 4

I really really like the " the support rig comes out, or I am not your guy" Phrase.... It is nice to know I am not the only guy out there that stands firm on his procedures. I dont let anyone sway me from what I feel is safe, professional and profitable. Seems that Mr. Ed is the same way. Too many companies these days will let customers chew them down or give out ultimatums that sway them from performing their jobs properly or with profit simply to get the work. I would rather stay home than take on a job that has careless, unnecessary risk. It is my way or the highway.. 

A "G" note seems more than fair for that deal And your shop gets the repair job to boot. Nice work. 

• Like 1

PROFESSIONAL TOWING & RECOVERY IS NOT JUST A JOB.. IT IS A LIFESTYLE