Quantcast
  • Join the TowForce community.

It looks like you're not logged in. Register to get started and to receive Tower Down Notices.

Rollback Refurbish suggestions

I have an older (2008) Ford F650 with a Jerrdan aluminum bed rollback (Pioneer) and a side puller that needs some refurbishment. The subframe for the rollback in particular needs some serious work or replacement. The rest of what needs to be done is a bit more routine, like cleaning up and painting some rusty spots, refurb or replace the hydraulic cylinders and the hydraulics, some wiring fixed, a seat cushion, refurbish or replace the tool boxes, stuff like that. This truck has been good to me and is in excellent condition with the exception of the bed subframe. I was hoping to arrange the refurb with Detroit Wrecker to do the work sometime this summer or fall, but have been advised that they no longer do this type of work. So I am looking for suggestions of who to take this truck to to get a refurb done to the bed and paint all the black stuff. So who does this type of work? Who have you had do extensive refurb work and been happy? Midwest is a plus, but willing to take it somewhere further to get it done right and fair. Let me know your experiences and suggestions!

Thanks so much in advance!

Detroit Wrecker was doing alot of refurbish work, and we had talked to them about it a couple years back.  After pricing out all we needed done to bring the truck back to what we wanted and the time and all involved as well as getting it to Detroit... we pulled the trigger and built a brand new truck instead.

Its a shame Detroit isnt doing the refurbish work anymore, as they really seemed to do a good job, but I cant blame them with the success of building new units.

I am not sure where you are located, but I would maybe reach out to @EdsTowing in Northeast PA.  I have been watching their facebook page, and they are doing some great refurbish work on pickups and dumptrucks.  He might be able to do something for you.   They are great to work with.

store_21169_logo_image_1613770811.png

Ditto to all that ESC said. The boys at team Ed's would be my number 1 pick for a refurb job. Just dig in to some of the old posts on here in company equipment of some of their own rigs that they have done. They knock it out of the park every time.

Detroit wrecker would be my number 2 if they were still in the refurb biz.. They are really killing it with there own designed rigs so I understand why they are no longer doing that type of work. 

I am seriously considering a Detroit built rig for my next one.

PROFESSIONAL TOWING & RECOVERY IS NOT JUST A JOB.. IT IS A LIFESTYLE

Andy you don't have a truck body shop close to you? What a about Peterbilt in Des Moines? We have a shop here that does that kind of work but they only do sprayers and floaters for a local dealer. I am not trying to knock Eds, don't get me wrong. That is just a long way to go.

George - - Moore's BP
We'll see you on down the road

Ed's is a long way, but if it is done right I can live with that. I would like to find something closer though. I do not have any experience with anyone really near me that does this type of work really. That is why I am looking for suggestions. I figured a shop that does tow trucks regularly would be a better bet that just the typical heavy equipment shop. Maybe I am overthinking ... I did bring it up to the company that is located in Iowa, I am sure you know the one ... I would have to sell one of my kids and mortgage the house for them to do the work. Clearly they do not want that type of work, they just want to sell a new truck. I have the truck I want, just want to get it fixed up and keep it working for another 10 years or whatever it can efficiently keep working. I am even ok getting parts if I can find a place to do the variety of work needed. A one stop shop would be awesome!

Edited by doingitall
  • Like 1

I appreciate the kind words but that's a pretty far way to get a truck refurbished. We just finished my 06' F650 today but it's already moving on to a new home...

20210325_144330.thumb.jpg.8be7dc65a05167afb3284abb5fbfbe3d.jpg

20210324_112742.thumb.jpg.5ded431a5168154f3dca1a4d9f0d7326.jpg

We are finishing up a similar refurbish to your truck right now. This is a 07' (in service 08 as a pre emission truck) International 4300 Ext. Cab that I have owned since new. When my wife got ill, we didn't replace it so I kept it too long. So my theory is if you want premium money...then you have to have a premium truck. It has mileage so that needs to be offset. We rebuilt the engine w/ all OEM International components. Removed the body, refurbished the sub frame, media blasted the chassis and a full paint job. We rebuilt the back of the bed today, typical aluminum bed cracks in the rear from use. My guys installed a new overhaul kit from Jerr-Dan with all new wear pads, hose carrier & hoses that will go back on this week...

20200421_121837.thumb.jpg.24943749e07c5c0e01e2fef566d1cf78.jpg

20200710_120700.thumb.jpg.ab875cda32c3b9888b2daf98b1ebe6cc.jpg

20210312_133748.thumb.jpg.f922d9fcad31db0c8ccaea8ef2297687.jpg

Any issues on the cab were repaired. Got a new Brake ABS unit installed and anything else we could find. New factory bumper and all maintenance items were done. It's a lot of work though...I'll have some completion pics soon as we wrap this up. It's been "back burner'ed" since we have been busy and at a certain point it doesn't make a difference in value. Someone will buy this because it will be a fresh, pre-emission truck with no cosmetic or structural issues and is one of the last reliable internationals built. I just made the deal to trade my 2015 International in and the new truck is $115,000 so trucks like this are looking attractive...LoL 

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

Sorry for the delay in response. We just got back from a trip to the Florida show. I think everything is here to finish this truck but they were swamped while I was away.

20210402_130826.thumb.jpg.12a95af690051fd55b770f267df6adb7.jpg

20210402_130846.thumb.jpg.a08bdde1c5d09b7579e861a943a9c88c.jpg

We are going to be in and around the low $30k's number once we are done. It's a DT466 Pre Emission, Alison Auto, Hyd. Brake, Spring suspension.

20210417_160135.jpg.dfd99bb15b7c9cdea3de131c0d210ba3.jpg

I bought the truck new in 08' as an 07' pre emission unit. It was a great truck for us and I believe will be for years to come.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, EdsTowing said:

Sorry for the delay in response. We just got back from a trip to the Florida show. I think everything is here to finish this truck but they were swamped while I was away.

20210402_130826.thumb.jpg.12a95af690051fd55b770f267df6adb7.jpg

20210402_130846.thumb.jpg.a08bdde1c5d09b7579e861a943a9c88c.jpg

We are going to be in and around the low $30k's number once we are done. It's a DT466 Pre Emission, Alison Auto, Hyd. Brake, Spring suspension.

20210417_160135.jpg.dfd99bb15b7c9cdea3de131c0d210ba3.jpg

I bought the truck new in 08' as an 07' pre emission unit. It was a great truck for us and I believe will be for years to come.

Ed pm me when it's ready. 

Thanks, Shannon