Quantcast
  • Join the TowForce community.

It looks like you're not logged in. Register to get started and to receive Tower Down Notices.

ISO help identifying wrecker

Do you know Gabe Rygaard, he was a ax man star  formerly starred on the reality TV show “Ax Men,”and he 

died Friday, Sept. 16, 2016, in a motor vehicle crash near Port Angeles, Washington, according to multiple news sources. He was 44.

The three-vehicle crash occurred on U.S. Highway 101. The State Patrol report stated that Rygaard was not wearing a seat belt, according to the Peninsula Daily News. There were no other fatalities.

Rygaard and his family owned and operated Rygaard Logging. He was featured on seasons two through nine of the History Channel’s “Ax Men.” The show documented the methods of logging crews in several states, highlighting the dangerous situations the loggers encountered on the job. The series was canceled in 2015.

Hi everyone! Like tow truck and car 

Here are some more images found in the archives.

FerronModelF10.jpg

Image supplied by LarryLange

FentronF10s.jpg

Image supplied by Larry Lange

a0b36b884a6f697aca8cca53f6d593f4f9619492

fbd26084de670ca3cc0ff09b4e34e917647456f4

Images supplied by Townhooker who added:

Here are a couple shots of my Fentron Wrecker. We bought the truck in Oakland CA, had it trucked to PA. It was a 78 Chevy 4X4, it was a great truck, we parked it in the summer and ran in during the winter months. It was rust free! It was a nice truck, liked the auto idle for the winches, was a beast in the snow or off road. It was totaled out Jan of 08 when a wreckless driver plowed into the rear of it while I was working a wreck on the interstate. I almost lost my leg, but the truck took a hard it at 60mph. I loved those older Chevys, was a good wrecker I worked it hard!

Michael Myers said:

16f503ff0427a8c092bc23b89f7b3a823c4e7f6b

They went out of business in the late 1970's. They started out being called the Oberg Hydraulic (twin-boom) Wrecker. The same folks who do the Oberg Racing oil filter. Then they changed the name to The Fentron twin-boom wrecker Mfg'd by Fentron Hi-way Products. They were manufactured in Lynnwood, WA. north of Seattle, WA. Due to the high cost of labor in the Seattle area compared with that of Tennessee they just couldn't compete.

3dc6cb744141606530f2d3a246aee3363ba269b0

Michael Myers - 253.588.1757 ext 150

sigmichael212.gif

I'll have to see if I can prompt Danny Cassello into this topic as he has more images.

• Thanks 1

I'll let someone much more knowledgeable than I explain the recovery mechanics  for the split booms. I never used one, but they were for side pull recoveries. A Wrecker Driver/Operator would swing the booms, side to side then tie off on one side while winching off the other. Sort of an early day rotator or simply side puller.

I wonder what they were called before Fentron.  We have a wrecker called a Twin Boom and the boom heads look identical.  Ours is a 25ton unit.  Dad told me they were made out west.  The one we have is all mechanical I wonder if Fentron bought TwinBoom then built the hydraulic version.

It's for sale.

20200401_174359.jpg

20200401_170348.jpg

20200401_170336.jpg

Edited by KY Nick

Nick Schade

Tony's Wrecker Service

Louisville, KY

• 5 months later...

I remember the useability of my early 480 Holmes wrecker. In the age appropriate years of twin booms, "Splitting the Booms", enabled the operator to go full-spread to tie-off to an object on one side of the road and winch using the other side. At times, when heavy pull was necessary, cable could be taken-out of the boom's head where pull went straight to the mast. If I remember correctly, this was a key feature of all twin-boom wreckers all they way to 850.     R.

Randall C. Resch

• 2 months later...
On 4/1/2020 at 3:45 PM, KY Nick said:

I wonder what they were called before Fentron.  We have a wrecker called a Twin Boom and the boom heads look identical.  Ours is a 25ton unit.  Dad told me they were made out west.  The one we have is all mechanical I wonder if Fentron bought TwinBoom then built the hydraulic version.

It's for sale.

20200401_174359.jpg

20200401_170348.jpg

20200401_170336.jpg

The "Twin Boom" was manufactured by Glendive Sales in Glendive Montana.

Light duty towing & recovery in Whitehall MT since 1980.

• 9 months later...

If you folks are still at it hope you would allow my three pennies. The Fenton’s stiff legs had a wide support at top of mast, pretty much at the ends. Now referring to unit in first photo, white Chevrolet gray front end. Notice stiff legs legs leave bolster rising up to mast without widing and are bolted. Now take note again at stiff leg bolster, also see tail board it’s almost straight across back, it angles vary little from about where sling attachments are, these are traits familiar to weldbilt , looking at face of mast,the shape as it rises to to mast cap looks same as weldbilt. They also covered boom webbings, had similar cable guilds top of mast and boom heads. Later they started pinning stiff legs behind mast face like photo with red bed. With all due respect I offer this option, not say I feel more correct then anyone but to offer additional information. All the best to ya folks.