Quantcast
  • Join the TowForce community.

It looks like you're not logged in. Register to get started and to receive Tower Down Notices.

Re: Fight or Flight

The recent homicide of a Florida highway patrol officer may have been the result of a vehicle's owner who wigged-out over the process and payment of tow services. Last year, I accounted as many as 12x tow operators killed in crimes of violence. Most of them were shootings caused by towing turf wars, but there were several atalities as the result of shootings, a stabbing, and one tower being beat to death over tow rates or altercations at the tow company office or at the tow location.

FACT:  Violence is a daily occurance over the world and it happens without notice. Drugs, alcohol, family issues, divorce, loss of a job, or any other host of factors may push someone over the edge. What safety precautions do you take? Remember, calm head's prevail. We've heard the, "Just shoot em' in the face", mentality, but a loaded gun with one in the hole does you no good if it's under the seat of your wrecker. So, you're on-scene, your customer starts getting heated, what do you do, what techniques do you employ to try and lessen an aggressive personality? How much crap are you supposed to take, do you engage, or simply leave your customer to their own accord?      R.

Edited by rreschran

Randall C. Resch

As I stated in my last reply to the Tragic Event involving a Tow Truck which took the life of a Florida Highway Patrol Trooper.

"Tow operators need to watch a video on dealing with situations such as this one. All First and Emergency Responders are required to complete such training annually. That raises the level of knowledge and awareness which could save at least one life. These videos range from approaching a vehicle and it's occupants to dealing with an aggressive subject (customer). Even an active shooter situation.... How many companies provide active shooter training to their employees? This could be both at the business or roadside such as in the tragic event."

I want to know more of the facts! Details which lead up to this tragic event. I am working on adding this to our training program. Is there something the tow operator could have done that would not have lead to this end result. I have at least a dozen unanswered questions, is anyone else following this or are you just doing business as usual and hoping it does not happen to you?

I've been following this from the moment it reported, but unfortunately, there's limited information as the investigation is still open. I have my own ideas as to what did or may have happened, none-the-less, it could have been the tower shot and killed first and then the highway patrol officer.  The world's population is living on the ragged edge and it doesn't take much for a ticking time bomb to go off.      R.

Randall C. Resch

An operator has to wear multiple hats today. You have to have the mechanical aptitude to complete the hook up and tow. While this is important, it is onlh part of the equation. You must have communication skills to include listening skills to allow a client to vent. You have to have the wisdom to keep your thoughts anf opinions to yourself. You must have the basic math and grammar skills to complete a narrative and total an invoice. You also need to have diplomacy as well as social worker skills. You are dealing with people who many times are at a low point in their lives. Your capacity to do the tow is just a small part of the requirements to complete the job. You can be the best at preparing and hooking up a vehicle, but you will be a failure if you are not minimally skilled in all aspects of towing.

• Like 1

Well said Goodmichael!!!! Too many people in this industry play the tough guy routine and it needs to be almost the exact opposite. Firm but fair is what comes to mind. Speak intelligently with a normal tone, Eye contact and face your customer. You need to be the voice of reason in heated situations with customers. Being polite even when they are berating you and dont stoop to their level. Remember, YOU are the professional. Obviously you must defend yourself If the confrontation is physical But words cannot hurt you. In my 24 years Ive heard how a angry customer has "f---ed my mother," my wife is a tramp, I am a pussy, I am stupid etc... whatever.. you cant let it get to you. At least this has always worked for me.. Some apologize for their rants, Most just mutter off. I have had a ccp ( concealed carry permit ) for 17 years and I have never so much as had to think about drawing my weapon let alone actually do it. Maybe I have just been lucky  or maybe my methods work. 

PROFESSIONAL TOWING & RECOVERY IS NOT JUST A JOB.. IT IS A LIFESTYLE