Quantcast
  • Join the TowForce community.

It looks like you're not logged in. Register to get started and to receive Tower Down Notices.

Tow Truck Driver Shot - 10.23.19 (TX)

TowNews

1 killed in shootout between tow truck driver, another person

HOUSTON - One person was killed Wednesday in a shootout between a tow truck driver and another person, police said.

The shooting was reported about 8:50 p.m. on West Little York Road near the North Freeway.

According to Houston police, the wrecker driver was found shot in the chest and another man was found shot in the arm.

It’s not clear which of the two men died.

Police said they are investigating what led up to the shooting.

RESOURCE LINK

A tow operator was shot and killed on Oct. 23, by two suspects after a verbal altercation in Houston, Texas. The operator, Augustin Martinez, 48, was reportedly giving a customer a ride when he encountered the suspects at an apartment complex.

During the altercation the suspects, who were driving a red Ford Explorer, began firing a handgun from the Explorer into the tow truck. Martinez was struck, but managed to take a photo of the suspects. Martinez attempted drive away in his tow truck but crashed and died at the scene. The customer was also struck in the gunfire but is expected to survive.

Police have posted a photo Martinez took of the two suspected assailants, described as two Hispanic males between 30 to 40 years old. They are asking for anyone who has information on the identities of the suspects to contact the HPD Homicide Division at 713-308-3600 or Crime Stoppers at 713-222-TIPS.

JbFGrbEUZjQ

View the full article and more on TowTimes.com

14 hours ago, Atikovi said:

At least it's a pretty clear picture. Shouldn't be too hard to find.

This is Houston TX; a lot of the apartments that his company has contracts with are lower income properties (we've worked many of the same areas and have even had contracts bounce back and forth between his company and ones I've been with in the past.)  We have a very large "undocumented alien" problem here, let's just go ahead and call them illegals, and many do not have drivers licenses, insurance, or even registered vehicles.  Lots of them driving around with temporary plates that were bought off craigslist or other online sources that are not legitimate temporary plates, making it difficult if not impossible to track down criminals.  I wouldn't be surprised if the murderous trash that took his life is already across the border.  : (  Here's hoping they do bring them to justice, though.  I doubt Mr. Martinez did anything to deserve dying over.

Richard

• Thanks 1

Christine and I send our prayers to the Martinez family hoping for their peace and ultimate justice. Most likely this coward shooter has fled back to Mexico. Although the US and Mexico have a treaty to extradite suspects involved in extreme crimes, I don't have much faith in that system. From a shooting that occurred earlier in the year, here's an interesting article link to shed some light on the extradition process. This is the fourth fatality this month as a result of tow related activities where towers have been killed. I'd like to be a fly on the wall to review what events occurred leading up to these kinds of violent confrontations. Like Richard said, Mr. Martinez didn't deserve this.   R&C

Link:  https://qz.com/1681452/mexico-wants-to-extradite-the-el-paso-gunman/

Randall C. Resch

Christine and I send our prayers to the Martinez family hoping for their peace and ultimate justice. Most likely this coward shooter has fled back to Mexico. Although the US and Mexico have a treaty to extradite suspects involved in extreme crimes, I don't have much faith in that system. From a shooting that occurred earlier in the year, here's an interesting article link to shed some light on the extradition process. This is the fourth fatality this month as a result of tow related activities where towers have been killed. I'd like to be a fly on the wall to review what events occurred leading up to these kinds of violent confrontations. Like Richard said, Mr. Martinez didn't deserve this.   R&C

Link:  https://qz.com/1681452/mexico-wants-to-extradite-the-el-paso-gunman/

Update:  There's another poorly written news account of this shooting incident only to mention "Shootout". The details of the news account doesn't provide details that might or might not be accurate.    Here's the link:  https://www.click2houston.com/news/local/police-1-killed-in-shootout-between-tow-truck-driver-another-person

Randall C. Resch

• Platinum Sponsor

This is just awful. Our prayers go out to the Martinez family. I hope and pray this find these guys and put them away for life.

Contact: Doreen Aragona - Integrated Leasing - Office: 800-551-4854 Ext 20

Email: Doreen@integratedleasing.com  Cell 516-852-5740

integrated18.jpg

www.INTEGRATEDLEASING.COM

Nearly a week later and no movement on this case as far as I know, despite having a very clear picture of the suspect that almost immediately led to his identification (full name), his vehicle's identification (license plate and all), and status as a person of interest in the case, and the fact that he resides (resided) in the apartments where the shooting occurred.  The assumption that he is clear across the border is very likely and we'll probably not hear from this waste of breath again until he comes back and commits further crimes, which is a pattern we're all too used to down here in SE TX.

Richard