Quantcast
  • Join the TowForce community.

It looks like you're not logged in. Register to get started and to receive Tower Down Notices.

Tower Down - 02.15.22 (WA) "Updated 03.28.22"

TowZone

joematersonfund.jpg

Tow truck driver hit and killed by semi-truck on I-5 in Milton

Joe Masterson of Fife Service & Towing in WA State was killed at 6:30am by a Semi Driver DUI.

Washington State Patrol Trooper Robert Reyer said the driver of the semi-truck was arrested for DUI.

FIFE, Wash. — A tow truck driver was killed after they were struck by a semi-truck on Interstate 5 in Milton Tuesday morning, according to the Washington State Patrol (WSP).

The crash happened on northbound I-5 just south of Porter Way around 6:15 a.m. WSP Trooper Robert Reyer said the 65-year-old driver of the semi-truck was arrested for suspicion of DUI.

Two right lanes of northbound I-5 were closed for over four hours while police investigated. All northbound lanes reopened to traffic around 10:50 a.m., according to the Washington State Department of Transportation (WSDOT).

The WSDOT said drivers should “expect it to take a while for the backup to clear.”

According to WSP, the victim was strapping down a box truck onto his tow truck on the shoulder of I-5 when he was struck and killed. The WSP said the semi-truck veered onto the shoulder, missed the tow truck and only struck the victim.

Reyer said vehicular homicide charges are expected to be filed against the 65-year-old man who was driving the semi-truck.

“Today was, unfortunately, a tragic example of how important it is to move over when you approach emergency lights," said Reyer. "Or, if you can not move over, to at least slow down significantly to protect fire, police, ambulance or even tow truck drivers and [Department of Transportation] workers."

Resource Link

joematersonA.jpg

My thoughts and prayers are with his family 🙏 yet another operator taken away to early 😭 I strongly believe tow trucks should be allowed red and blue beacons, that might slow drivers down. Hope the driver of the semi rots in jail, zero tolerance against drinking and driving 😡.

A lot if that area of highway 5 is very dangerous traffic is always thick and no one’s paying attention I think I’m almost in a wreck every time I drive it it’s the land of perpetual road construction as well what this does is make drivers become so accustomed to flashing lights road crews trucks on the roadway that they stop even noticing any of them then you throw something like a drunk truck driver in the mix man what a combo. 

i feel for his family sorry for their loss. 

Not that reading about them far away doesn’t bother me but it’s weird when you actually drive a section of road where a fellow operator was harmed kind of sinks in harder. 

be safe. 

• 3 weeks later...

A meesage from TRAW (Towing and Recovery Association of Washington).

Please join your fellow towers in celebrating Joe Masterson! Let's show our tower's spirit like never before for this important chance to spread awareness and honor our fallen brother! Sunday, March 27th, 10 am, Tacoma Dome, parking lot G.

JM032722A.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

We shut a major Highway down last night at the NC/VA border for a 2 vehicle MVA  re-routed traffic away  Only the people involved in the MVA went to the Hospital with minor issues. This seems to be the best way to handle Highway. We Went Home to our Family One More Time.

• Like 3

hookritesig.jpeg