Quantcast
  • Join the TowForce community.

It looks like you're not logged in. Register to get started and to receive Tower Down Notices.

Almost got away with it

Got a police call Sunday, late morning.  When I arrived, the owner's mother and another guy had this loaded onto a tow dolly.  Apparently, the wreck happened overnight on Saturday.  They said they had been there since daybreak cleaning up and getting this loaded onto the dolly when the state police arrived.  They had this RF laying on the dolly with 1" ratchet straps holding it in place.  Needless to say, the officer would not let them move it.

Apparently, there were other issues as well, the officer wanted it in secure storage and not to let anyone near it until he got in touch with me, and he was off for the next two days.  Now it sits in a bay in the back of the shop.  Damn part is I will likely have to deal with no insurance to boot.

IMG_20211205_123647839.thumb.jpg.3405e3f479b94549861cd234a84f93fb.jpg

• Like 3

A good friend will bail you out of jail, but a great friend will ...

It always gets interesting with the police towing.  Everyone always thinks we are too expensive and making a billion dollars off of their junk.  We have a Chevy Avalanche here in about the same shape as what you have.... same deal, tow into the police garage for a search, then towed to our lot when they were done.  Owner in jail on multiple drug charges, truck is junk with no insurance.    Just towed another in today.... and Old F700 thats seen better days... not on Police hold for a DOT inspection later today..... its clearly going to fail in a lot of ways and odds are good it will be a scrapper in the end.

store_21169_logo_image_1613770811.png

I gotta agree with Fixdent. I would have told P.D. I wasnt interested. 

I used to run and jump on every call that pd would call on until it got to a point where I realized it was costing more to " make them happy" than I was making. 

Although I still get stuck with one every now and again, I have no time, tolerance or yard space to sit on worthless vehicles just because the police asked me to.

I hope you can come to a reasonable solution with the owner on payment.

• Like 1

PROFESSIONAL TOWING & RECOVERY IS NOT JUST A JOB.. IT IS A LIFESTYLE

I hear ya but I am the new kid on the rotation.  As I understand it, if you miss three calls for them, they take you off the list.  The good ones far outweigh the bad ones so I will play along for now.

I looked in the back of this yesterday and there are some tools in there under the debris and the toolbox across the bed is locked so I am thinking maybe they will come around    time will tell

• 3 months later...

I'm glad to hear that the police didn't allow them to try to transport that on a tow dolly. I don't like to be stuck with an uninsured POS any more than the next gut, but the next wreck, in this case, could have been much wrse.

Light duty towing & recovery in Whitehall MT since 1980.

This one actually worked out, they had insurance.  Pretty sure this guy was dodging a DUI and was all kinds of agreeable when he was allowed to come for it.  I had it locked in a bay in shop until the officer released it, and he took a week before he would allow it to go.