Quantcast
  • Join the TowForce community.

It looks like you're not logged in. Register to get started and to receive Tower Down Notices.

One bad decision results in a WORSE decision..

Took a call from a very worked up and upset landscaper this morning. He had been doing a final mow on one of his accounts and ended up getting his Zero-turn unit stuck alongside the property line approximately 400'-500' from the road with a 8' deep road side ditch thrown in as an added obstacle and completely around the house opposite of the driveway.

Like most everywhere else in the North east, We here have been getting hammered with torrential rains for a couple weeks. Flooding and soggy yards are the norm here. After evaluating the situation, I called in my partner and our 4wd ATV that we have set up with a 5,000 lb. winch and a reinforced plow blade assembly that I designed to use as a "spade" or stiff leg. When it is locked down, all of the downward force on the winch pushes down on it so there is no real weight or stress put on the ATV itself.

We have used this homemade rig on many a off-road recoveries through the years. After rigging up a snatch block for a 2-part pull, We set up about 10' behind the Excursion so we could get just a little bit of a "lift". After the "spade dug in, the Excursion popped right out.

The rigging was broke down and With some smooth and steady throttle, I was able to drive the Excursion all the way out to the driveway in reverse. We then went back in with our ATV for the mower. A tow strap and a quick tug, the mower was on its way out under it's own power as well. Both pieces were recovered with no more damage done to the property.

Both the landscaper and the property owner were very happy. 

Bill paid in full...

On to the next one.

IMG_1488.jpg

IMG_1489.jpg

IMG_1490.jpg

IMG_1497.jpg

IMG_1492.jpg

IMG_1495.jpg

IMG_1496.jpg

IMG_1502.jpg

IMG_1503.jpg

IMG_1505.jpg

IMG_1506.jpg

• Like 8

PROFESSIONAL TOWING & RECOVERY IS NOT JUST A JOB.. IT IS A LIFESTYLE

The property owner was the one saying that we were "pissing in the wind" I think were his exact words when we pulled in with the "winching quad" as we call it... The landscaper jumped right in and told the home owner to sit back and watch us work. ( we have done some tricky jobs for him in the past ) 

The main focal point of this job was No more damage to the property. He had already done enough on his own. Lol. This was the best way I could figure to get at it without tearing up the yard trying to get our wrecker or even my pick up ( with winch ) in there

I will have to make it a point to take and post some pics of the winching quad. I built it about 4 or 5 years ago after battling a VERY stuck ford ranger off on a seasonal trail for 2-12 days. It is basically a self contained winch and stiff leg system that can be secured to a tree, building another vehicle etc.. The Atv just carries it and charges it for the most part. ( It has a 12v truck battery tied into the atv's system. ) 

• Like 2

PROFESSIONAL TOWING & RECOVERY IS NOT JUST A JOB.. IT IS A LIFESTYLE

• 2 weeks later...