Quantcast
  • Join the TowForce community.

It looks like you're not logged in. Register to get started and to receive Tower Down Notices.

What's the cost of one bad employee?

It could be a Driver, a Dispatcher, A Mechanic etc. How long do you attempt to work on them in hopes of turning them around? At what point has it been too long and is there a dollar on productivity, damages or both that make the decision to send them on their way progress. Is it always dealt with in the same manner and do you consider that manner to be professional or just "You're Fired".

Sometimes, we have found that it's just the drama and mental stress. The employee is actually a very good in all other regards. They just can't seem to leave the drama at home and even that they can't control. We have that, gave this guy a chance and the drama at home is effecting others at the shop. He's out on his own and the work is great. I fear the home issue is going to escalate as we have had to work with him. Again, when is enough, enough?

Unfortunatley, If his home situation is that bad that it affects his work and you have already sat down with him and spoke about it, then I would have to say it is time to part ways. As you are aware, our occupation is dangerous enough and if his head is in the clouds over serious personal issues, then it is not a matter of IF a mistake will be made, it is WHEN. And that mistake could cost someone their life. Not to mention money, equipment and business reputation. I personally know all about family issues and the toll it can take on you at work if you let it. ( my wife is physically disabled and in and out of the hospital constantly). I would be lying if I was to say It doesnt get to me while working but when it does I know it is time to take some time off and let my partner run the show. I know it can feel like a shitty thing to do to an employee who is having issues at home, but you as an owner MUST put your business first. 

• Like 1

PROFESSIONAL TOWING & RECOVERY IS NOT JUST A JOB.. IT IS A LIFESTYLE

Can't say I have not had a few, but I have not missed to signs of trouble on the horizon. I think many owners expect those under them to report issues prior to it becoming a problem. I also find that the worst employee can be the one that thinks they are the best. Anyone else experience that with employees that are NEEDY...

• 4 weeks later...

Yeah, I feel your pain in those scenarios where some employees don't or can't react to warnings and verbal counseling. Some don't have a clue thinking that management is picking just on them. No matter how management reacts to an employee's actions, any dismissal could wind-up as a wrongful termination lawsuit. A company's best defense is accurate and complete documentation. Even if the employee is a best friend or family member, a sympathetic EEOC referree might find that the employee was wrongfully dismissed. I'm pretty confident to say that most tow bosses can pin-point those rocky employee issues at the on-set and have a plan of action. The hardest one's that I've ever dealt with are the, "experienced operators", who think the sun rises and falls in their abilities. In my book, some experienced operators are way more problematic because of their pre-conceived mentality that they;re better than others and don't have to respond to the company's rules. Not to offend any person in this proverbial tow audience, but, I relate being boss like raising my kids; each has their own personality and responds to life at their speed and ability. When they jump track, I simply put them back on and give them a push in the right direction. I treat each one individually and equally with love and guidance ... accordingly, I haven't killed any of them yet.    R  

Randall C. Resch

We sat him down and gave him an ultimatum. He actually said he'd have to think about if he wanted to work here. Then about the point Dad was going to said then there's the door, he asked if we would work with him and finally opened up to what was going on. So, we'll adjust his hours as he goes through this family issue. I know this isn't unique to our operation, I just wanted to know how others have dealt with this and how often it works out. I'll update in a week or two...

Your employee's snap response of "I will have to think about working here" is of concern to me. It shows his defense mechanisim is that of "fight or flight".. he chose "flight" on this particular issue by saying that instead of "fight" which would have been to respond to your ultimatum with "I will work harder and better at dealing with my issues and pay attention to my job while working". I feel his decision making is obviously clouded, that is my concern. This of course is just my opinion on the matter looking through a very small window. I hope for your business and your employees sake that it all works out with no problems. 

PROFESSIONAL TOWING & RECOVERY IS NOT JUST A JOB.. IT IS A LIFESTYLE

I continually hear that finding drivers is difficult and owners are having to make allowances for employees they would have let go in the past. Few will work or be on call 24/7 and drug testing regularly is becoming more common. Often that means testing employees they know are not at risk just to keep the random testing legit. One owner stated he has lost 2 employees which tested positive. I won't go into the process within this topic however the process is more than just the test. Rob, has there a past dependency issue with this employee?