Quantcast
  • Join the TowForce community.

It looks like you're not logged in. Register to get started and to receive Tower Down Notices.

Donating vehicles to charity

2000intow

We did that with a few select cars a year that ran. Got to where the charities were ungrateful so we stopped. Still donate some to the fire department, but it si getting to where they want cars in better condition. So, sadly that will end as well as they have gotten to where they call the day before they want a car. Our agreement was to give us at least a week. Does anyone else have these issues?

On 2/22/2020 at 10:15 AM, yoBdaBenO said:

We did that with a few select cars a year that ran. Got to where the charities were ungrateful so we stopped. Still donate some to the fire department, but it si getting to where they want cars in better condition. So, sadly that will end as well as they have gotten to where they call the day before they want a car. Our agreement was to give us at least a week. Does anyone else have these issues?

We regularly supply cars for local fire companies at no charge.   I do constantly ask them to give us notice, but as you said, they tend to call a day or two ahead and expect we can magically appear with 3 cars for them.  Sometimes it just doesn't work out in time.   When we deliver cars to them, I have my guys take a good picture and I make a good facebook post on our shop page.  I tag the fire co in it as well.  I always include a line about if people want to donate a car, that we will pick it up for free, etc.   I just ask for the title.  Then once the fire company is done with it, we take it to the scrap yard, or sell it to a scrap buyer that we work with.

I would think there is a way to get a donation letter from the fire company as well that we could use toward our taxes, but I have never bothered with it.  We do it as a courtesy for the fire companies that we work with regularly.   Not to mention that I want them well trained.  You never know when they could be cutting me out of a crashed car if i were to ever be in an accident.

store_21169_logo_image_1613770811.png

I've donated old RVs and live-in trailers to willing church's as they help those parishoner's in need. The only cavaet is they cannot be parked on public domain or they're subject to impound. I wrote a simple letter of agreement and sent a Release of Liability to the DMV with the new owner's information. No issues after the fact.    R.

Randall C. Resch

• 1 month later...
  • 4 months later...