Quantcast
  • Join the TowForce community.

It looks like you're not logged in. Register to get started and to receive Tower Down Notices.

Virginians Get A Load of this PIle of______!

TowNews

If you're not already on the edge, check this out. Then follow the link to read the rest of the ______ !

"The Senate rejected a proposed expansion of protections for tow-truck drivers that would have toughened penalties for a failure to move over to the next lane for service vehicles stopped on the side of the road to match the penalty for failing to move over for law enforcement, firefighters or EMS."

Must Read Resource Link

Just like California has a, "National Move-Over Day", or, "Ride a Bike to Work Day", what if Virginia towers were to have a, "We Ain't Towin' No Cars For The Day", day in support of no-expanded protections for tow operators? Wouldn't that be a hoot.     R.

• Like 1

Randall C. Resch

Back in the seventies there was a Convoy! Got a lot of attention, and while I have never advocated this before as strongly. This may very well be the spark, as Tow Operators are being struck & killed at a much higher rate than Police, Fire & EMS yet the Virginia Legislators are say our live's are worth less. If our lives are worth less then we can all take some time off and create a show of Force.  When traffic backs up and voters complain then we will see what out lives are worth to them. I say this knowing it will never happen in an industry that is not organized....

Hi Mr. Moores ... Something tells me that, if tow operator deaths continue to not mean enough to solve the problem, perhaps a, "no-call response", is a solution for towers to consider. So, playing the Devil's Advocate, would a state's DOT take over towing when private tow companies pull-away out of rebellion? I don;t see that happening because some tower will always be in the wings to jump in. Am I wrong? My fatality statistics for tow operator strikes go back to 1956 and count as many as 33-tow operator's killed working highway related events, with or without the cops on scene. That's 66x years of continued carnage and no recognizable relief insight. As far as SDMO laws, we towers are appreciative of those laws, but they do little to nothing because the motoring public fails to respond to their meaning. SDMO is simply an administrative bandage to a much bigger operational problem. Unfortunately, law enforcement doesn't have a solution.    R.       

• Like 2

Randall C. Resch

To those following this topic please sound off we need to hear you going into some type of Round Table.

I have been an advocate of  some type of show of Tow Trucks on a specific day of the year across the Nation.

The Towing & Recovery Industry needs this National Attention as did the Convoys of the 1970's. While, I am not sure the level of participation back then would result in the same news coverage and prompt a movie "Convoy". I do believe it is a strong statement that this industry has reached the point, we Tow Truck Operators are now seeking a strong show of unity. While it will NEVER happen, at the end of the line a Shut Down or Slow Down Day combined with a Convoy of Tow Trucks may be the Only Movement to gain that National Attention!

I do not know, let's discuss it.... If you're just sitting there reading this, then you're saying you're OK with the more than 100, even 200 Tow Operators being Struck & Killed combined with Struck & Injured.

Sound Off You Not OK, together we can be the answer to save at minimum A Tow Operators Life a Year. That Life could be your own!

• Like 1

I don't think government will get into the towing business in a way that will the private sector as long a good operators have and keep a good working relationship with LE. We have a very good re pore with the agencies here and they do appreciate what we do. While they are not beholden to one company they all know if we are busy we will do what ever we can to take care of them. 

I joined this board to try and make a difference in the number of tow operators killed along side the road. I have learned so much over the years that I do believe that I am, and hopefully have made some difference with the towing community at least here. I know that much more needs to be done and we are ready to help to make what ever needs to be done happen. It will not be easy and it won't cheap but God help us it MUST be done.

George - - Moore's BP
We'll see you on down the road

While I'm a firm believe that, "Shit Rolls Down-Hill", I'd like to see a convoy of one-million tow trucks, carriers, heavies, rotators, whatever, driving in solidarity around the white-house, capitol loop. Is that a possibility where our president were to see a rolling representations of tow operator's defending the lives of those lost and those who continue to work the nation's highway. Like the Spirit Ride ... how much more stronger of a statement could their be?    R.

• Like 1

Randall C. Resch

Randall, while that sounds like a way to gain media attention to our blight. It would be only a small blip in the news. No what is will take is that 1000's of Tow Trucks converging on their State and Local Court Houses. Shutting down the Majority of Towing for an Hour as as show of unity. Wait, we are not allowed to use the word unity because it gets confused with being a Union and that would be BAD..... Carry On, it's never going to change until enough in the Industry have has enough. That will likely be more Tow Operator Deaths which touch more companies. At this rate that will only take a few years. How many will lose their life's before serious action is taking and the industry is viewed as Being Professional?

• 3 weeks later...

I would love to see a peaceful protest and a work stoppage to get our point across. The US Department of Labor regularly calls for "Stand Down for Safety" periods in various industries where they encourage management to stop work for a hour or so and use that time to focus on a particular work risk with their crews.

It would be awesome and effective to get our point across if the tow industry picked a day and said from 6 AM to noon no one is going to respond with a tow truck for any call except life safety critical (entrapment or something similar). This would cuse a traffic nightmare and may result in contract issues for many law enforcement and motor club towers, but in the end the results would be worth it.

Now, I am a realist and know full well that most towing companies are operating on such tight margins that they could not afford the short term financial consequences of a planned work stoppage. There is a real likelihood that a planned stoppage would cost a few companies their contracts, at least for a 14-30 penalty suspension period, and that some companies that choose not to participate would take full advantage of the stoppage and attempt to steal away customers and contracts. Even so, the cause is just and important enough to warrant some risk for the success of the movement.