Quantcast
  • Join the TowForce community.

It looks like you're not logged in. Register to get started and to receive Tower Down Notices.

A reminder to keep your eyes on the road...

Woman walks away uninjured after tire crashes into her windshield on I-45 S

https://abc13.com/traffic/woman-uninjured-after-tire-crashes-into-her-windshield/5878757/?fbclid=IwAR1herstysl55r2wTa5IExfugi6uAI7McOIOsEYG99nCUsdPu_uciH0PIdU

I would post the Youtube Video but it seems someone with the news channel who uploaded it to Youtube chose to cut out the Christian References to her faith. The News Story References a Christian Sticker on the rear window and and remarks about the rear view mirror that came off the windshield.

This kind of crash happens more than you'd think, especially on highway-speed roadways and highways. I remember two California Highway Patrol officers and an upstate Maine trooper who were killed by wayward tires. In 1989, I worked a CHP evidence fatal where a tire came off a truck and killed a young-mom when a tire bounded from the opposite side of traffic, over the K-Rail and landed right at the position of the driver's window ... she never had a chance. The impact was so hard that it peeled-back the roof to the point there was no need for the fire-department to cut a roof-flap to remove her body.  So, the next time you change someone's tire, ask yourself, "What liability exists when tires aren't tightened to specs in the same manner a tower would remove a drive-shaft but not re-install it?"

Here's a video link of an example of just how fast it happens with no time to react.     R.

Edited by rreschran
  • Like 3

Randall C. Resch

I saw a complete set of duals come off a semi trailer in front of me once on the thruway. Both wheels, tires, brake drum and hub. In the ball park of 1200-1300 lbs at 70 mph. I was horrified. As I followed the duals down the highway I considered trying to use my car to push them off the roadway but I had my wife ( at the time girlfriend ) with me. Its one thing if I tore my car up trying to get these duals off the highway I couldnt bear to watch them slam into a minivan full of kids or something. they made their way on their own off the shoulder and down the ravine. thank god no one got hit by them. The trucker didnt even know this had happened as I chased him down after the duals left the road. He stated he had just left a truck shop where he had a that wheel seal replaced. I have a strong feeling the tech who did the work lost his job on this one. luckily no one lost their life.

• Like 1

PROFESSIONAL TOWING & RECOVERY IS NOT JUST A JOB.. IT IS A LIFESTYLE

Close Calls intend, some kids threw a rock off an overpass several years ago and it went into my windshield. Luckily the glass stopped it and it was on the passenger side. There were pieces of glass everywhere, seems the got a few others as well before they were caught.

On 1/31/2020 at 9:57 PM, Moose said:

Close Calls intend, some kids threw a rock off an overpass several years ago and it went into my windshield. Luckily the glass stopped it and it was on the passenger side. There were pieces of glass everywhere, seems the got a few others as well before they were caught.

Thats crazy. I remember something similar happening many years ago downstate on long island near where I grew up. If memory serves right, a group of kids thought it would be funny to chuck a frozen turkey off an overpass on the long island expressway that subsequently went through the windshield of a car, striking a woman in the face. She did survive but was horribly disfigured and went through multiple surgeries to reconstruct her face and skull. 

PROFESSIONAL TOWING & RECOVERY IS NOT JUST A JOB.. IT IS A LIFESTYLE