Quantcast
  • Join the TowForce community.

It looks like you're not logged in. Register to get started and to receive Tower Down Notices.

Tow Truck Struck: 01.03.20 (AL) "VIDEO ADDED"

TowNews

Pickup truck overturns after driving up wrecker ramp in north Huntsville

HUNTSVILLE, Ala. (WAFF) - It was a scary situation for a tow truck driver working a wreck on Winchester Road Friday night.

David Widemon said he was trying to pull a car out of a ditch when a distracted driver flew up the wrecker’s ramp and overturned, barely missing him.

It happened around 7 p.m. in the 1800 block near Domino’s.

“This right here could have took my life,” Widemon said.

At first, he thought the pickup’s driver was killed in the crash, but no one was hurt.

Roadside crashes are the number one cause of death for police, state troopers and tow truck drivers.

Alabama law says you need to move over one lane when emergency vehicles are parked on the side of the road.

RESOURCE LINK with video

A statement on the driver "David Wydemon" Facebook page reads:

Slow down and move over people. We have families too. I escaped with my life. God was watching out for me. I get to go home to my kids.

AffordableA.jpg.5397d68717fcdb268278388e7d5d711b.jpg

AffordableB.jpg.2866920b7a7a2561b8a71d401737965d.jpgAffordableC.jpg.9fd34f3838bb341bad9e91a454f82207.jpg

That right there is one that could have been much worse. What worse is that could have been any of us. Wonder if he was just lucky enough to be away from the controls or had been working them from the side away from the roadway.

Glad to hear the Operator is ok. I want to believe he was working the curbside of his truck. We need some good stories of Operators surviving these wrecks because they were following some of the guidelines that over the years we as an industry have implemented 

PROFESSIONAL TOWING & RECOVERY IS NOT JUST A JOB.. IT IS A LIFESTYLE