Quantcast
  • Join the TowForce community.

It looks like you're not logged in. Register to get started and to receive Tower Down Notices.

HONK & Industry Perceptions

DennisHONK

Hi all, I've been a member here for a long time under a different name, however I haven't been active on the forums in at least a few years. I am a second generation tower by trade and have over 15 years industry experience. I am also a WM 4/5. I've recently started working for HONK as a manager on the Network Operations Team. One of my goals is to help change our perception within the industry as we work on having more open communication with our service providers. I would love to hear any feedback the great members of Tow411 have regarding HONK and would love a chance to hopefully clear some misconceptions and foster some quality relationships. 

27 minutes ago, BlackAutoload said:

I think its impossible to change a 3rd parties perception in this industry.

Your company owes me $300 for one I did last month.

Please PM me with the reference number for the job and I would be happy to look into it and see why payment is delayed. We pride ourselves on being the among the fastest payers in the industry, usually credit card payment is available within 24 hours. 

What is the phone # I can call to receive payment for a tow? Tried calling back the number that called but it keeps dropping my call.

I did have an issue with a payment a few months ago, but I was able get it resolved by spending 30min on the phone with your rep. Too bad I cant charge for that...lol

ben

2 minutes ago, atowkona said:

What is the phone # I can call to receive payment for a tow? Tried calling back the number that called but it keeps dropping my call.

I did have an issue with a payment a few months ago, but I was able get it resolved by spending 30min on the phone with your rep. Too bad I cant charge for that...lol

ben

Ben, 

The easiest way to request payment is by the "payments" tab on your profile on www.joinhonk.com

from there you can request a credit card sent directly to your email, and there is also an option to set up direct-deposit to a bank account. 

The direct line to Accounts Payable for payment problems is 800-979-3162 Option 1 for a live agent. 

We are currently in the process of growing and changing how we do things. We want to be more than "just another club". We are looking to actively engage with partners and build relationships within the industry. As someone who has been involved in the industry from birth, I can say that the climate here at HONK is that of building a network that is both beneficial to customers AND providers. In the past 5 months, we've rolled out a program of territory managers who are reaching out to providers across the nation and listening to their stories and really trying their best to address complaints and concerns. Part of the reason I was brought on the team is because of my industry experience from the perspective of you guys, the tow men and women who are out there in the thick of it every day. 

If you are running calls for HONK regularly and haven't heard from your territory manager, please let me know right away so I can get them in touch with you. 

Thanks for your reply.

We are not contracted with Honk, I started the process but it seemed to be more trouble than it was worth to be honest.  Especially after they tried to give me a $20 GOA on a $175 tow that was performed due to them not contacting the cust via the phone # provided in dispatch txt.  Maybe in the future I will change my mind but for now I will perform tows if they meet my price and pay quickly.

Not really a fan of motor clubs and currently only contract with 1. They prefer to use the cheap towing co's and only call us when their guys don't answer or don't show for 5-8 hrs. Im not saying that's how honk is but the rates they were trying to offer upon sign up don't come close to making me any money, and Im not in the habit of working for free.

ben

Dennis, Thanks for speaking up. Maybe you could tell us why the world needs HONK? In the age of Google, I really have a hard time seeing the benefit to us service providers of having a middleman with their (your) hand in our pockets. And I fail to see how you improve service to my customer, when they can call me directly and talk to the guy who will be coming to help them. Of course it's not just you, but HONK came on strong like they were going to turn the industry upside down and clearly the whole "app" thing didn't take off like that, so now you are just another motor club (except you aren't).

All my best,

Rod

7 hours ago, RodVT said:

Dennis, Thanks for speaking up. Maybe you could tell us why the world needs HONK? In the age of Google, I really have a hard time seeing the benefit to us service providers of having a middleman with their (your) hand in our pockets. And I fail to see how you improve service to my customer, when they can call me directly and talk to the guy who will be coming to help them. Of course it's not just you, but HONK came on strong like they were going to turn the industry upside down and clearly the whole "app" thing didn't take off like that, so now you are just another motor club (except you aren't).

All my best,

Rod

Rod,

Thanks for your feedback. What we've failed as an industry to notice is that most people these days, and this holds true more for millennials and younger generations, but it applies to older people as well, is that people don't want to talk on the phone anymore. Companies like Uber, Postmates, & Doordash are wildly successful because they remove the need for people to pick up the phone and order things they need every day. Airline tickets, rental cars, hotels, restaurants, even things like health insurance and doctors visits all have a way to conveniently buy tickets, make reservations, and book appointments. You even apply for a home loan or buy a car though an app these days. We can all wax nostalgic about the "good old days" when people made phone calls or had to go to an office to do these things, but like it or not, the future is now and these apps and products aren't going anywhere.

And like it or not, motor clubs aren't going anywhere either. Insurance companies and fleet companies, especially those with members nationwide, are always going to look to a source to handle towing & roadside for them. What we're currently trying to do at HONK is make it better. We allow providers to set their own rates. Yes, our website suggests where the market might be in your area, but we don't make any demands of you to lower your rates, nor do we make any demands on how fast your ETA should be. We have no penalties for turning down calls. We want you to earn what you deserve for calls and we don't want you to make promises you can't keep either. What we do is look for the best available market price and the best available response time to service our customers. We are one of the fastest payers in the industry. Work for us today, get paid by tomorrow in most cases. Nobody else can promise that.

We're concerned about safety. The safety of the customer and the operator. For customers, we're moving to the point where all of our providers will soon be verified as having proper insurance and have passed a background check. For operators, we're helping to raise awareness about safety and move-over laws with contributions to causes like The Survivor Fund and The Spirit Ride. 

I'm not here to convince every member of Tow411 to go to www.joinhonk.com and become a provider. I only want to help clear some misconceptions about HONK to the industry, and listen to what you have to say about us. I would love any feedback from providers that are currently working with us or have in the past, or are considering working with us in the future. How can HONK make your experience better?

A couple years back when HONK started out, they really annoyed me with that loud horn when I would answer the phone.  Clearly a lot of people were angered by it, and they finally changed it, but that was horrible to hear at 3 am.  In the beginning, we tried Honk- credit card up front by phone.  Everything went great, except they called multiple times.  Are you on your way, what truck are you using, what is your drivers name, did you arrive, has the car been delivered, etc.  Way too many calls for a simple job.... but I get it... they were reaching out to a bunch of towing vendors that they didnt know or trust, so they were staying on top of things.  After one or two calls like that, I quit doing work for them. 

About two years ago after a long day at the Baltimore tow show, a few of us were ending the night at the small bar at the Oriole Cafe in our hotel.  After a few drinks were were all joking and ranting about motor clubs.  There was a guy next to us that began to talk to us, and after a while, he owned up to being Corey- The CEO of HONK.  After letting him have it with our thoughts... Corey paid our bar tab and took our feedback... but he had one request.... to download the app and give Honk a chance.   I came home, and gave it a shot.... the app at that time was still full of issues and the volume was really low.  We tried a few jobs and things went alot better.  We did notice once we would submit for payment, we would have a credit card within 30 minutes, never shorted... always paid to the rate that we have set on the app.    I dont like that they wont pay enroute--but when it doesnt make profit for us, we just decline the call.    After a bit we had some app issues and I didnt follow up and we stopped getting calls.   A few months back I looked into it and re downloaded the app and got things working on phones for 3 of us here at the shop.   The volume is still low, but its better.  We see 2-3 calls a week that we take and we get paid our retail rates.   I feel they need to pay enroute, and dollies where needed, etc.... but to make up for that we set our hookup rates higher than normal so it all averages out.  Still fast paying and accurate.

The app could use some work, but it gets the job done.  Sometimes I decline a call, then it comes back in a min later, decline again, and it comes back , and i have to keep doing that.   It can be real annoying when im busy... clearly I declined once, I dont want the job.  I have noticed them growing... some more call volume recently.  I dont win alot of bids in our area as we have our rates set high.  There are a few guys working out of their house running older trucks that can run cheaper than I can... so they usually get the work... but when I do... i get paid well for it so i cant complain.

A while back we had one in our parking lot that needed a tow... I put in a 1 min eta as I was sitting here..... I was not awarded the job as someone else bid that was cheaper.  2 hours later he showed up in a beat up truck, and he happened to be wearing a FEDEX uniform while he loaded in our parking lot.  It was rather funny... i guess he works for Fedex full time and tows on the side.   Anyway... it showed me clearly its another club just looking at price... allowing a member to sit for 2 hours when I had a truck literally in the same parking lot as the job and I bid 1 minute.

All that being said.... I appreciate that you guys having someone on staff with WreckMaster training... and on here to work with us.

store_21169_logo_image_1613770811.png

36 minutes ago, ESC said:

A couple years back when HONK started out, they really annoyed me with that loud horn when I would answer the phone.  Clearly a lot of people were angered by it, and they finally changed it, but that was horrible to hear at 3 am.  In the beginning, we tried Honk- credit card up front by phone.  Everything went great, except they called multiple times.  Are you on your way, what truck are you using, what is your drivers name, did you arrive, has the car been delivered, etc.  Way too many calls for a simple job.... but I get it... they were reaching out to a bunch of towing vendors that they didnt know or trust, so they were staying on top of things.  After one or two calls like that, I quit doing work for them. 

About two years ago after a long day at the Baltimore tow show, a few of us were ending the night at the small bar at the Oriole Cafe in our hotel.  After a few drinks were were all joking and ranting about motor clubs.  There was a guy next to us that began to talk to us, and after a while, he owned up to being Corey- The CEO of HONK.  After letting him have it with our thoughts... Corey paid our bar tab and took our feedback... but he had one request.... to download the app and give Honk a chance.   I came home, and gave it a shot.... the app at that time was still full of issues and the volume was really low.  We tried a few jobs and things went alot better.  We did notice once we would submit for payment, we would have a credit card within 30 minutes, never shorted... always paid to the rate that we have set on the app.    I dont like that they wont pay enroute--but when it doesnt make profit for us, we just decline the call.    After a bit we had some app issues and I didnt follow up and we stopped getting calls.   A few months back I looked into it and re downloaded the app and got things working on phones for 3 of us here at the shop.   The volume is still low, but its better.  We see 2-3 calls a week that we take and we get paid our retail rates.   I feel they need to pay enroute, and dollies where needed, etc.... but to make up for that we set our hookup rates higher than normal so it all averages out.  Still fast paying and accurate.

The app could use some work, but it gets the job done.  Sometimes I decline a call, then it comes back in a min later, decline again, and it comes back , and i have to keep doing that.   It can be real annoying when im busy... clearly I declined once, I dont want the job.  I have noticed them growing... some more call volume recently.  I dont win alot of bids in our area as we have our rates set high.  There are a few guys working out of their house running older trucks that can run cheaper than I can... so they usually get the work... but when I do... i get paid well for it so i cant complain.

A while back we had one in our parking lot that needed a tow... I put in a 1 min eta as I was sitting here..... I was not awarded the job as someone else bid that was cheaper.  2 hours later he showed up in a beat up truck, and he happened to be wearing a FEDEX uniform while he loaded in our parking lot.  It was rather funny... i guess he works for Fedex full time and tows on the side.   Anyway... it showed me clearly its another club just looking at price... allowing a member to sit for 2 hours when I had a truck literally in the same parking lot as the job and I bid 1 minute.

All that being said.... I appreciate that you guys having someone on staff with WreckMaster training... and on here to work with us.

ESC,

Thanks for all your feedback. I appreciate your honest assessment. Things like this are real occurrences I can take back to my team and investigate and see how we can do better. IMO, there's no reason you shouldn't have been awarded a job in your own lot with a 1 min ETA, but I know pricing does come into play in the algorithm as well. 

I look forward to seeing a lot of you guys at upcoming shows around the country and I appreciate the feedback from a community I've been a part of for many years. 

On 3/13/2019 at 5:04 PM, atowkona said:

Thanks for your reply.

We are not contracted with Honk, I started the process but it seemed to be more trouble than it was worth to be honest.  Especially after they tried to give me a $20 GOA on a $175 tow that was performed due to them not contacting the cust via the phone # provided in dispatch txt.  Maybe in the future I will change my mind but for now I will perform tows if they meet my price and pay quickly.

Not really a fan of motor clubs and currently only contract with 1. They prefer to use the cheap towing co's and only call us when their guys don't answer or don't show for 5-8 hrs. Im not saying that's how honk is but the rates they were trying to offer upon sign up don't come close to making me any money, and Im not in the habit of working for free.

ben

Don’t change your mind. Stay away. All this about getting closer with providers is a sham. I got robbed on way to many calls and have actually had to make the customer pay the difference or be impounded. Ask for extra services like dollies they tell you to send video. Do we need anyone else trying to get operators killed on the side of the highway for that minimal of a fee? Go read their reviews on FB. You will get tired of bidding 10 calls and getting 1 and getting shorted on that 1. It’s not who is closest like they say. It’s who is closest and cheapest. 

I started out liking Honk for the first few calls. Even had a rep call me to discuss a first call option. Never heard nothing back. I got so tired of app problems and bidding 10 calls and getting 1. To many interruptions to win 1 bid. I can bid something across the street and not get the call and watch an hour later for a clunker to show up and not be able to do the job. I can’t put my operators at risk on the side of a 2 lane mountain highway with no phone service to stop and get a detailed video to ask for dollies. I’ve sent pictures for proof in the past but that wasn’t good enough. That’s just plain cheating people. I’ve even had customers call in on my behalf when they heard the rep deny the work I did. And yes I will put you on speaker and let the customer hear you when you try and cheat me. Had a rep email me asking for my driver to do his background check. I explained he did it “twice” and given the problems with the app and the lack of winning bids in my back yard I decided it wasn’t profitable to me or my staff for the constant interruptions and shortages. The rep didn’t even argue with me or try to win my trust back. He didn’t care because he knew. You get a mud pull that turned into a roll over blocking a muddy road in a sharp corner where there is no phone service you don’t have time to shoot video and go back to cell range for approval and haggle price and put yourself, your equipment, and the customer in harms way. I get what you’re saying about customers not wanting to talk on the phone when ordering but that don’t hold true to vendors. It’s only beneficial to Honk employees when you rob vendors. Get a phone number where we can communicate with a live person would be a start. Don’t try to offer a $20 GOA for a $150 call 30 miles passed my bidding area. I’ve set my rates for a low rate warning in the portal all they way up to maximum market avg just to see what was what. Even at the low where I can’t make money I was losing bids in my own back yard. 

I have to commend you for coming on here is you will most likely hear many negative thoughts.  We have run some Honk calls paid by CC.  Your comment about people not wanting to talk on the phone anymore.....I am 68 years old, I do not text, do not email, do not use apps - I use the telephone and fax only.  People (mostly younger) today give me the impression that talking on the phone is somehow confrontational.  They don't want to hear the "tone" in someone's voice - that might hurt their feelings.  You say using apps is easier -  not for me.  I can get through a conversation on the phone a lot quicker than one can test back and forth.  Don't get me wrong - these ways of communicating have their place, but I don't think towing is one.  Just my comments.  Steve.

Steve Koob

I appreciate everyone's thoughts and concerns thus far. As far as how are calls are dispatched, this is how it works:

Our goal is to dispatch companies who are both close to the customer and have a track record of good customer ratings.

The system takes into account the following factors:

Estimated time of arrival (ETA)
How often the company has proven to meet their ETAs
Customer service rating history
Proper use of the HONK Partner app
The service rate

I started out liking Honk for the first few calls. Even had a rep call me to discuss a first call option. Never heard nothing back. I got so tired of app problems and bidding 10 calls and getting 1. To many interruptions to win 1 bid. I can bid something across the street and not get the call and watch an hour later for a clunker to show up and not be able to do the job. I can’t put my operators at risk on the side of a 2 lane mountain highway with no phone service to stop and get a detailed video to ask for dollies. I’ve sent pictures for proof in the past but that wasn’t good enough. That’s just plain cheating people. I’ve even had customers call in on my behalf when they heard the rep deny the work I did. And yes I will put you on speaker and let the customer hear you when you try and cheat me. Had a rep email me asking for my driver to do his background check. I explained he did it “twice” and given the problems with the app and the lack of winning bids in my back yard I decided it wasn’t profitable to me or my staff for the constant interruptions and shortages. The rep didn’t even argue with me or try to win my trust back. He didn’t care because he knew. You get a mud pull that turned into a roll over blocking a muddy road in a sharp corner where there is no phone service you don’t have time to shoot video and go back to cell range for approval and haggle price and put yourself, your equipment, and the customer in harms way. I get what you’re saying about customers not wanting to talk on the phone when ordering but that don’t hold true to vendors. It’s only beneficial to Honk employees when you rob vendors. Get a phone number where we can communicate with a live person would be a start. Don’t try to offer a $20 GOA for a $150 call 30 miles passed my bidding area. I’ve set my rates for a low rate warning in the portal all they way up to maximum market avg just to see what was what. Even at the low where I can’t make money I was losing bids in my own back yard. 

Regarding first call options, these are ideas that are being tested in certain markets currently to see how our jobs are being effected.

Regarding requests for additional charges, I have been tasked with revamping that entire segment of our system and is one of the reasons I've come here for feedback. I agree that the need for videos imposes an unnecessary risk to operators and equipment and I'm currently testing plans to make it easier to request things like dollies. My goal is to find a way to make it easier for providers to request these charges without allowing the bad apples to take advantage of us. Unfortunately, this industry has a habit of exploiting opportunities to charge for things that aren't necessary. I've done it myself and I'm sure many here have too, even without malicious intent. It's a fact as an industry that we are perceived as crooks and criminals, and while that's not the case for the majority of the hard-working individuals who risk their lives every day on the side of the road, there is a large segment of this industry that's more inclined to make a fast buck vs. an honest one. One of my personal goals here is to help move the needle on that perception to the outside world by promoting quality providers who represent the large majority of honest, hard-working people. 

As far as a number to reach a live person, please PM me and I'll get you in touch with the Territory Manager for your area. This program is very new and we haven't had a chance to reach a large majority of the market yet. I understand that it's hard to undo the damage that's been done to relationships in the past, but I am here to tell you that it is my personal goal to make this a better experience for providers. 

I have to commend you for coming on here is you will most likely hear many negative thoughts.  We have run some Honk calls paid by CC.  Your comment about people not wanting to talk on the phone anymore.....I am 68 years old, I do not text, do not email, do not use apps - I use the telephone and fax only.  People (mostly younger) today give me the impression that talking on the phone is somehow confrontational.  They don't want to hear the "tone" in someone's voice - that might hurt their feelings.  You say using apps is easier -  not for me.  I can get through a conversation on the phone a lot quicker than one can test back and forth.  Don't get me wrong - these ways of communicating have their place, but I don't think towing is one.  Just my comments.  Steve.

Steve, thanks for your feedback. I expected mostly negative comments here, but we cannot grow until we learn what we're doing wrong. Unfortunately this company has not had much in the way of actual industry experience since inception, and while this allows us to take a different approach to things without preconceived notions of "the way things are always done", it's also hampered our ability to communicate with the men and women who are actually out there working everyday. 

I understand your feelings. You're one of the "old-school". I learned this industry from many people like yourself. I like to say that I learned from people who've forgotten more than I'll ever know. I have the utmost respect for the people that came before me in the towing and recovery industry. My dad is in his sixties and still tows part time. And while I've always had a great reverence for the ones that came before me, I've never understood the aversion to technology that is rampant in this industry. For decades, mechanical wreckers reigned supreme and things got done. But then hydraulic wreckers came along and made it easier. Advancements in technology have made our jobs easier as time has gone on. I know I'd personally much rather use newer style aluminum dollies as opposed to the old heavy SOB's that used to be standard equipment. Self-loaders have made it safer to do quick-clearance interstate tows as well as PPI, impound, and repo work. Rotator technology has made recovery work safer, faster, and easier. Even things like cell phone communication, dispatch software, and fleet tracking have made dispatch and billing more efficient. 

Technology is all around us, and while adapting to new advancements sometimes has a learning curve, we usually come out on top in the long run. 

Once again, I appreciate all the feedback I'm receiving, and I'm not here to change anyone's mind, but I would like to clear up some mis-conceptions. If there's anyone who doesn't feel comfortable speaking in an open forum, you're more than welcome to PM me to address any concerns you may have. I want to take this information to the decision-makers and help them to have a better understanding of who the people are that we are dealing with everyday. 

honk Has been a pain in my Ass for a few years now ....... . Still Owing For unpaid P.o.s  Short paying  and Down Right  Screwing over me As a Provider.  there was a time back when they first started  you could call someone and get a Real live manager on the phone and get Problems handled .... Now there  talk to the box on the screen...  ..... one of my accounts i cant even get into the history with still unpaid P.o's   had a 1250 bill on one wreck and got paid 750.... WTF.  still have a outstanding PO... for 990 that they gave me a cc for 660...  i never ran it ive called and tried to get it resolved but to no luck......  i have had talks with  mangers before about there Double Dispatching  and  False info...   last one i did was a  call about 3 weeks ago.... Stated customer was on seen with the car and waiting ...... i was to the car in under 15mins on a 25 mins eta.....   when i got there no customer. called customer no answer.. waited a few mins and left. just as i drove a way the customer showed.    when i called back in just secs later to get a GOA of my hook Rate.  not this 20.00 BS..... that i have gotten many times when honk has Messed up....... my time is money you are buying my time... when facts are screwed up .... time to move on  my truck and my self or any of my drivers are there to get jobs done and move on...... honk is a filler when we have time to do odd jobs.   i had 2 trucks dedicated to doing nothing but honk jobs. but....  the piss poor training of dispatchers and what info that is need for each job Falls on deaf ears.....  Last time i had a Conversion with a manger over the phone i asked to have my phone removed from the call list and Have A Partner MANGER  call me.......... STILL NOTHING.........  (3+ weeks now)..... this is why honk is just another motor club..... 

THIS IS WHY EVERY CUSTOMER NO MATTER IF ITS A CASH RETAIL CALL OR A MOTOR CLUB......  they sign a contract ...... so in the end  i get paid for the services i provide...... 

When motor-clubs  want to short pay for services.  and fail to pay for services rendered  they make it a strict point in the contract the customer is not to pay the provider.  so this leaves Providers with no recourse to collect when the motor club fails to pay...

my contract is with the customer for service... we see the motor club as a 3rd party claims handler ....  we will attempt to collect from there 3rd party  for the services rendered .... when the motor club refuses to pay for the services  the customer is the ultimate responsible party for the service.. any unpaid balance will be forwarded to the customer...  including but not limited to  Debt collection and or non-possessory lien ......

i cant count how many times the devil is in the details......  there has been tons of times where you get a honk call nor the dispatcher or the app has  used false info to get a service provider on seen .... and then honk doesn't want to pay for there misleading calls...

when you get called out to a tow and all info said it was just a tow..  when you get there the car is upside down in the ditch blocking a lane of traffic and theres police on site that want you to clear there road way... I dont have Time To call Wait on hold for 10 mins To get a approve for extra charges....  and now they want you to take a video of when you use dollies to get paid for them ? REALLY this is the BEST THAT A TECH BASED APP COMPANY CAN COME UP WITH..... SPEND SOME TIME CHANGE  YOUR APP SO U CAN UPLOAD A PHOTO ....... BUT DONT ASK ME WAY I NEED DOLLIES WHEN YOU SEND OUT A CALL for A FLAT TIRE AND THE FLAT IS ON THE REAR OF A FWD CAR.....

Wheres a number i can call a provider manger  OH there is none.....

just like this it took me 20 mins to type this all out .... i could get my point acrossed in less than 2 mins over the phone....

there  are other things that are fuked up about honk.... but hey  they dont care who they screw..   

just like they will make a customer Wait  a hr  for service to save 5 bucks  when there is a provender last than 100ft  from the customer.... HAD THIS HAPPEN MANY TIMES!!!!

=i could go on and on...  but fact of the matter is ... outstanding 3K+ in unpaid 

=getting called by 4 different people for the same job in 5 mins is retarded

• 2 months later...

Good Afternoon, I must say I absolutely love working with your company. Honk is so easy. I love getting paid the same day. I complete the tow, log onto the website and type how many miles I've towed and minuets later I have a credit card e-mailed to me. Thank you HONK for making life easy!

Archived