Quantcast
  • Join the TowForce community.

It looks like you're not logged in. Register to get started and to receive Tower Down Notices.

Tower Down - 11.18.23 (FL)

TowForce

Tow truck driver dead following hit-and-run while assisting disabled car on I-95 South

MIAMI — A tow trucker driver is dead following an early morning hit-and-run while he was assisting a disabled car on Interstate 95 early Saturday morning.

Around 4:35 a.m., a tow truck was parked on the right emergency shoulder on southbound I-95 in the area of State Road 112 and assisting a disabled white Cadillac.

Florida Highway Patrol told CBS News Miami that the tow truck driver — identified only as a White man — was standing outside of the disabled car when an oncoming gray Nissan SUV collided with his tow truck and struck him. He died on the scene.

The driver of the Nissan then abandoned their vehicle and fled the scene on foot. Troopers are currently following up on leads to find them. FHP stated that this is an active criminal investigation.

RESOURCE LINK II

MIAMI (WSVN) - Authorities are searching for the driver of an SUV who, they said, struck and killed a tow truck driver along Interstate 95 and fled the scene, causing southbound lane closures.

According to the Florida Highway Patrol, the overnight crash took place near State Road 112 in Miami, at around 4:35 a.m., Saturday.

Investigators said the victim has parked his tow truck on the right emergency shoulder to assist a disabled white Cadillac along the southbound lanes.

Authorities said the two truck driver was standing outside of the Cadillac when a passing gray Nissan SUV collided with him and the tow truck.

Troopers said the driver of the SUV abandoned the vehicle and fled on foot.

The victim was pronounced dead at the scene.

Miami Fire Rescue Capt. Ignatius Carroll stressed the importance of Florida’s “Move Over” law.

“I think one of the things that we try to stress is the safety tip of people moving over to the side when they see emergency vehicles out there, whether it’s fire trucks, police officers or even tow truck drivers out here,” he said. “Sometimes, a lot of these incidents that we respond to are avoidable accidents, and as a result, a person lost their life tonight.”

Troopers shut down all southbound lanes for hours while they investigated and cleared the scene. As late as 9 a.m., the southbound on-ramp to I-95 remained closed, and only the express lanes had reopened.

All lanes have since reopened to traffic.

As of Saturday evening, the driver of the SUV remains at large.

If you have any information on this hit-and-run or the subject’s whereabouts, call Miami-Dade Crime Stoppers at 305-471-TIPS. Remember, you can always remain anonymous, and you may be eligible for a reward of up to $5,000.

WARNING: DISTURBING ACCIDENT SCENE

https://www.nbcmiami.com/multimedia/tow-truck-driver-dies-after-being-struck-in-a-hit-and-run-on-i-95/3163603/

• Platinum Sponsor

I totally agree this is happening almost weekly.

My heart ❤️ goes out to his family and friends. 

Sending prayers 🙏 

Contact: Doreen Aragona - Integrated Leasing - Office: 800-551-4854 Ext 20

Email: Doreen@integratedleasing.com  Cell 516-852-5740

integrated18.jpg

www.INTEGRATEDLEASING.COM

im going to repeat the words of gun control lobbyists..."thoughts and prayers" don't help. Its nice,thoughtful,but what we need is for everybody to do your part as individuals. put the phones down,stop texting & driving! Dont drink and drive! When you are driving you are responsible for not just your life but the people in your vehicle as well as motorists & Pedestrians as well.No distraction is worth somebody's life! Dont be selfish! Pay attention. Make it a habit to ALWAYS move over for not just first responders but any vehicles disabled or working on the right side. tow trucks are first responders as well. he might have some little girls who are anxiously waiting for him to return home. if you cant move over, at least slow down! if heaven forbid, you do have an accident...dont be a coward and leave the scene. be better.

Steve and Miss Doreen ... you're right. These on-highway strikes are all too frequent. Here's my recount of recent fatalities.

Nov. 18   Florida           Saturday

Nov. 04    Michigan      Saturday

Oct. 21     Missouri       Saturday

Oct. 21     No. Africa     Saturday

Oct. 18     Georgia        Thursday

Oct. 04     Virginia         Sunday

Christine and I send our prayers to the towers family and the company he worked.         R.

Randall C. Resch