Quantcast
  • Join the TowForce community.

It looks like you're not logged in. Register to get started and to receive Tower Down Notices.

My new ride...

Chuckud

We have our new carrier almost complete.  6.7 diesel, 4x4 XLT.  Went with aluminum because of weight & I like the way it looks.  This unit has nearly 4500 miles on it & is averaging 12.5 mpg.  The 72 inch boxes provide enough room for all of my equipment.

20220210_165344.jpg

20220210_165327.jpg

• Like 7

I had started looking in early October & had given up in late November.  Then my wife asked if she could search for a new truck for me, (if you happen to be lucky like me, you know how they are when it comes to shopping DETERMINED! ) The next morning she had located 4 F550 chassis.  I called the dealer, (Fallsway) told them what I wanted, & they delivered a finished truck in 3 weeks! 

Edited by Chuckud
Complete topic
  • Like 1

Nice. 

Ive got questions 

length of the bed from the winch to the back of the bed. 
total weight of truck with all your gear full tank of gas and you in it? 

and I really want to know about its handling of a one ton dually 4x4 crew cab diesel if you land that tow I wanna know about it. 

i cant see not having an extended cab but I just might think about it 

i want to order an F600 4x4 but I don’t even think there selling them in an extended cab yet. And I’ll have to get a CDL at that point anyway so maybe I will look into other 4x4 options. 

Length of bed from winch to rear of bed 18ft 10 inches,  TOTAL WEIGHT with 250 lb driver, full of fuel & gear 13885.

We DID NOT purchase this truck intending to haul 1 ton dually diesel crew cabs, ( we have other flatbeds for those jobs)  but as I have previously mentioned, we all know how it goes in this business.  The heaviest thing thus far was a Ram 2500 4dr diesel Mega Cab & it did ok with that. (Better than expected)

That was dispatched as a "Ram pickup" & it was a short 8 mile tow, soooo I did it.

• Like 1

On 2/14/2022 at 8:39 PM, Moose said:

Our 20' Bed on a medium duty chassis handles those Ram 2500 4dr diesel Mega Cabs. Oddly, our winch does not like them at all. Thinking of changing out the winch, although it loads basic equipment just fine.

Maybe watch how much rope you have on the winch? Some guys put 100'+ on the spool and when you have something coming up the body you're on the 4th wrap which substantially diminishes the winches power. An 8000# winch probably drops 50% of capacity. If that is the case, we put a D ring in the floor in front of the winch so you can 2 part the line.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

I have an older Jerr Dan industrial bed, it has an 8000 pound winch but the drum is a narrow one and the wraps build up fast.  It calls for a 50 foot rope, I tried to put 100 on it but I could not keep it wrapping straight.  I have 75 on it now and can keep it wrapping straight.  I have D rings too so I can double the line like Ed mentioned.  I like the extra rope but there is a downside.

A good friend will bail you out of jail, but a great friend will ...

• 3 months later...

Update:  this is the heaviest & largest load thus far.  96 F 350 Long bed 4dr diesel, (dispatched as a F250 pickup).

Our F550 handled the load well. I wouldn't want to go through winding mountain roads with it, but on a short flatland tow was no problem. As I have stated before, I wouldn't make this a everyday practice, but I have no reservations about loading one of these once in a blue moon.

20220610_152107.jpg

Edited by Chuckud
Complete topic
  • Like 3

On 2/14/2022 at 7:39 PM, Moose said:

Our 20' Bed on a medium duty chassis handles those Ram 2500 4dr diesel Mega Cabs. Oddly, our winch does not like them at all. Thinking of changing out the winch, although it loads basic equipment just fine.

In regards to this most of us don’t even think about calculating the line load when a vehicle that rolls gets to the bed. And that calculates to a lot more than we think. 

In the case of a 9000 vehicle the loads above the working load limit of most light duty carriers winch ropes let alone the load it’s putting on your winch. Time to weld in a ring for the use of a snatch block. Or at the very least hook a chain at the front of the deck. The fact that very few light duty roll backs come with at least one anchor point at the center of the deck up front is kind of bad engineering to begin with. Having seen the loads with a gauge in person I never would have thought they would be so high. But the math don’t lie. Im thinking there should be at least two. If you calculate the resistance of a 9000 truck being loaded on your deck when your trucks already parked up hill now ad in the factor of a damaged suspension component like its wheels off or worse pointed hard to one side. Two or more snatch blocks might actually be needed to load that without hitting loads well above the WLL of your winch rope. 

hooking your snatch block up behind the front axle or close will allow you to pull the vehicle as far forward as you can without stopping chaining it up and making a second pull when your snatch block runs out of room if it’s to far forward. I know it will slow the loading process but you probably wont think your winch is struggling next time you load a one ton on it. 

Big thanks to the TRAW tow class in Washington for this tip. 

• Like 1