Quantcast
  • Join the TowForce community.

It looks like you're not logged in. Register to get started and to receive Tower Down Notices.

Trying My New "Whip" Out...

Well I did my 1st tow with the new truck yesterday on a 20' UHaul E450 truck...

20211222_115651.thumb.jpg.11d03bda5feb6abaff6c08770c14f124.jpg

She did a good job. It felt a little "light" in a gravel lot but not to the point where I would call it "sketchy shit" or anything. The nice thing with this MPL40 is you can litterly tuck it in close to the body since you only need about 1 or 2 inches of extension to clear the pivot of the head...

20211222_115548.thumb.jpg.4af5ca3374bbc80b6691805221ec94a5.jpg

"Jacked" it just to see my clearance & set the distance. We have a counter weight ordered which I feel will make this a more then capable unit for heavier stuff like this.

Edited by EdsTowing
  • Like 6

On 12/23/2021 at 9:39 PM, dperone said:

Nothing like easing her into life lol

Yea my son did a couple jobs with it but I wanted to see how it handled weight. If this was loaded, it probably would of been "Sketchy"...

We talked about doing a push bumper or a winch bumper & then weighting that? I'll see how it feels with the 400 lb counter weight.

• Like 1

Nice Truck, is that the new MPL40 with the stiff legs?

You can't go wrong with a winch bumper in our area, they come in handy.  I am impressed with electric one we put on the front of our service truck.  When I get time, I am going to mount one behind the push bumper on the wrecker.  Can't really push anything but trucks anymore 

A good friend will bail you out of jail, but a great friend will ...

On 12/25/2021 at 10:17 PM, EdsTowing said:

Yea my son did a couple jobs with it but I wanted to see how it handled weight. If this was loaded, it probably would of been "Sketchy"...

We talked about doing a push bumper or a winch bumper & then weighting that? I'll see how it feels with the 400 lb counter weight.

I've seen a few with the Jerr Dan front bumper with a front winch mounted in it and they look pretty sweet. I'd be curious to see what kind of weight they add to the nose

3 hours ago, Canadiantowman said:

So you have replaced the 408 now and back to Jerr-Dan Dan?

No we still have the Chevron, we got this so I could keep a truck home & help with storms as an "attack" unit....

266494145_4718985888180372_5752481737374473524_n.thumb.jpg.1abe504dd0fe524063aafa964ed0df4b.jpg

We have 2 new chassis' on order for next year and one will replace the Chevron then. It's a 2019, garage kept and still only has like 20k miles on it.  

• Like 1

6 hours ago, dperone said:

I've seen a few with the Jerr Dan front bumper with a front winch mounted in it and they look pretty sweet. I'd be curious to see what kind of weight they add to the nose

This was the response I got from my friend in Engineering @ Jerr-Dan...

"Ed,

I have some info for you.

Comparing the two units, the front axle weight goes from 5,318 to 4,375 Pounds (167.5 Wheelbase and 13,660 rear GAWR).  At full extension of the wheel lift, and maintaining 50% front axle weight, your tow rating goes from 3,800 to 3,132 Pounds.  We haven’t done much with aftermarket front bumpers / counterweights other than working with Diversified Products Manufacturing who offer push bumpers.  A standard push bumper from them would add about 300 Pounds to the front of the truck (replaces the stock bumper) and not really get all the performance back compared to your diesel truck.  We are checking with them for any kits they may have for adding plate weights that could get you some additional weight on the front axle.

I’m sure there are some other suppliers that have kits out there, but we have not worked with any of them.

I’ll let you know what we find out from Diversified Products for any additional weight kits.

Thanks,"