Quantcast
  • Join the TowForce community.

It looks like you're not logged in. Register to get started and to receive Tower Down Notices.

Rush Hour Lexus Mess

Took this call from city dispatch for a Lexus That lost control coming down the hill along the west main artery into the city Yesterday about 4:30 pm. The Busiest time of day for this stretch of road. The driver ended up going up through 3 separate yards and driveways, wiping out street signs and mail boxes along the way. before striking a culvert pipe crossing one and barrel-rolling another 75' or so before coming to a rest upright in a shallow ditch. The fluids and debris field was massive. This area is very steep, narrow and windy although the pics don't really show it. Once all the F.D. units were out of the way, I was able to work from one lane so that P.D. could open the opposite side and alternate traffic through. The load up was pretty straight forward, Clean up took over an hour. Did I mention the speed limit in this area is 30 m.p.h.?? I think it is safe to say she was moving a bit faster than that. Took the casualty back to the Yard and secured and covered it to protect the owners possessions ( Cell phone, Pocket book, Back pack Etc..) that I found strewn all about the scene. Insurance is up to snuff ( thankfully) so should be a quick close-out. I got to find the time and a way to take better pics of these scenes. I get a lot of jobs that I don't take any pics. As a lot of you know, it is hard especially when your working alone and trying to clear and open a road. 

IMG_1428.jpg

IMG_1432.jpg

IMG_1433.jpg

IMG_1436.jpg

IMG_1437.jpg

IMG_1438.jpg

• Like 4

PROFESSIONAL TOWING & RECOVERY IS NOT JUST A JOB.. IT IS A LIFESTYLE

4 hours ago, dperone said:

Yup, she's a goner. 

Oh yeah... She's all used up for sure..

I was a bit surprised to see no air bag deployment. It is a bit of an older model so it's anyone's guess if the system was operational at all. I did hear today that the young lady who was driving came away with just some bumps, bruises and a cut to her hand Requiring a few stitches. Seems the best outcome considering the circumstances.

Pictures are most important for documentation for insurance companies. The few minutes along the way could result in a justification of the higher then norm charges as the recovery which will result in something like this one. However, working by ourselves it can be hard to remember as we all work quickly to clear the scene. Generally, that comes from both a desire to look better than the other tow op in front of others not in towing. I'm finding that either a body cam or go pro can be useful these days. Still Images can be taken from either source and while the image may not be what would have been taken on say a camera phone. It will work just the same and then you have the recording as well.

• Like 1

I have been considering purchasing one of those body cams or even one of those chest mounts for your phone. I will defiantly have to up my "tech know-how" in order to edit the videos and pull the stills I want off of it.

We have a GoPro that we use in the race cars but I struggle dealing with that thing too.. LoL. My 19 year old usually deals with that.

I usually always snap the usual quick "4 corners" pics of pretty much any job I do but they don't really make for good pics to post the jobs here on Tow Force. 

• 4 weeks later...

I don't take the time to take as many pictures as I would like to but I make sure to document any damage.  I have also heard that companies are starting to put sound and video in the cabs to protect themselves from claims of harrassment from customers.  Where does it end?  

I got a guy coming after me for damage from back in June.  I documented the shit out of that incident and took two dozen pictures to prove I was not responsible and he now says " we will let the courts decide".  My insurance agent is confident we wont lose but I am concerned because the insurance carrier may decide to just pay it rather than fight because it is cheaper for them.  I DO NOT agree with that position but I don't get a say.  AND, if they do that it would still go against me, imagine that!

A good friend will bail you out of jail, but a great friend will ...

3 hours ago, Stubborn66 said:

I am concerned because the insurance carrier may decide to just pay it rather than fight because it is cheaper for them. 

Had a guy 25 years ago make a bogus claim that stuff was stolen from a van in our lot. I told my insurance company that if they paid the claim, I would drop them.... In the end I won the case.

• Like 2

It is sad that this is what has become of Our times. I grew up in a world where a hand shake and your word was EVERYTHING and then some. So I too find it difficult to have to cover my ass on every step I take because someone at some point is going to try to roll you. 

As far as your Insurance adjuster thinking about  just paying the clown who is claiming unfounded damage, Threaten to drop them and see what he has to say about that. I am sorry. Even if it is "easier" to just pay it off, Its not the money. It is the principal and the fact that this bozo will then be off running his mouth all over about how he "won" and got paid his claim...That is My reputation He is dragging through the mud.. If I was you Subborn, I say Take me to court.. I be there with bells on..   

• Like 1

1 hour ago, EdsTowing said:
5 hours ago, Stubborn66 said:

I am concerned because the insurance carrier may decide to just pay it rather than fight because it is cheaper for them. 

Had a guy 25 years ago make a bogus claim that stuff was stolen from a van in our lot. I told my insurance company that if they paid the claim, I would drop them.... In the end I won the case.

I am pretty good friends with my insurance lady, she knows how I feel and will go to bat for me if necessary.  I already told her would not settle this, I will change carriers if they don't fight.  I have never had a claim and I'll be damned if I am going to pay for something that is not my fault.......Long story but I think this guy is a blow hard and I cant imagine a lawyer telling him he has a chance of winning this.  Time will tell 

1 hour ago, GRUMPS The Towman said:

. It is the principal and the fact that this bozo will then be off running his mouth all over about how he "won" and got paid his claim...That is My reputation He is dragging through the mud.. If I was you Subborn, I say Take me to court.. I be there with bells on.. 

I would love to make an ass out of this guy at a court hearing.  The only saving grace to my reputation is he is not local, this is a van I hauled to Philadelphia but I still dont like it