Quantcast
  • Join the TowForce community.

It looks like you're not logged in. Register to get started and to receive Tower Down Notices.

BMW I8 on Dollies with no power

Last week we were called to transport a BMW I8 for a body shop in Clifton Heights. The vehicle had just been repaired and was being towed to BMW for programming. The vehicle was currently locked down with no power. We were requested to use dollies to move the vehicle as it is all wheel drive and stuck in park. Bill was able to transport the vehicle with ease!

It was a short 6 mile tow, but it was about 30 miles from us. The body shop had been referred to us after they weren’t able to find someone willing to transport the I8. The starting price of the vehicle is in the $150,000 range. After we assure the shop we were confident in being able to take care of the care, including sending them so pictures of precious jobs we got the OK to get it done.

e14458a4c3fd7a9ef5c46f57bc61d7c4.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 3

store_21169_logo_image_1613770811.png

11 hours ago, ESC said:

Last week we were called to transport a BMW I8 for a body shop in Clifton Heights. The vehicle had just been repaired and was being towed to BMW for programming. The vehicle was currently locked down with no power. We were requested to use dollies to move the vehicle as it is all wheel drive and stuck in park. Bill was able to transport the vehicle with ease!

It was a short 6 mile tow, but it was about 30 miles from us. The body shop had been referred to us after they weren’t able to find someone willing to transport the I8. The starting price of the vehicle is in the $150,000 range. After we assure the shop we were confident in being able to take care of the care, including sending them so pictures of precious jobs we got the OK to get it done.

Nice.  Haven't seen one in that color before!  Only black (dark gray?), and white.  I loaded a white one a couple weeks ago, but since it was parked head-in, I loaded from the rear and dollied the front.  A little trickier since if the tire sits too low in the bars, the rearmost bar will contact the rockers when you pop up the dollies.  I extended the boom a couple inches to roll the tires up onto my skates so I could pinch the bars a little closer to each other; no biggie.  Same (in reverse) to unload at the lot.

Richard

TimePhoto_20210320_013603.jpg

TimePhoto_20210320_014117.jpg

Edited by someotherplace
  • Like 1

5 hours ago, Steve W said:

Are the rear wheels strapped somehow in the dollies??  Do you do that or just let them sit in the dollies without straps?

The straps aren't on in the picture, but we do use a 1" motorcycle strap to secure the dollies.

6 minutes ago, someotherplace said:

Nice.  Haven't seen one in that color before!  Only black (dark gray?), and white.  I loaded a white one a couple weeks ago, but since it was parked head-in, I loaded from the rear and dollied the front.  A little trickier since if the tire sits too low in the bars, the rearmost bar will contact the rockers when you pop up the dollies.  I extended the boom a couple inches to roll the tires up onto my skates so I could pinch the bars a little closer to each other; no biggie.  Same (in reverse) to unload at the lot.

Richard

TimePhoto_20210320_013603.jpg

TimePhoto_20210320_014117.jpg

Perfect!!   Thats a great way to do it!

I only know a bit about the one we towed, but apparently it was purchased after an accident and the buyer had it fixed and painted this color.  After the repairs it still needed to go to the dealer for electrical issue and programming, so thats where we came in.  For whatever reason, whoever the body shop normally used was afraid to touch it.  Worked out well for us, as the body shop didnt flinch when I gave them a price.

Awesome job from start to finish, with both the car and the customer. It's amazing how everything needs a flatbed, until the flatbed isn't the easiest tool anymore. I also bust out the pictures of other cars that "need to be on a flatbed" getting dollied around.