Quantcast
  • Join the TowForce community.

It looks like you're not logged in. Register to get started and to receive Tower Down Notices.

Tricky Ball Joint Job

Took this call yesterday from one of my repair shop accounts. Their customer stated they thought they had a flat tire. When I arrived I found this VW nosed in a sloped driveway, over a curb with a busted ball joint. ( so much for that flat ). It was on a narrow, sloped road right off the corner of a main street So there was no way to get straight on it. So rather than attempt to wiggle myself across the whole road and block traffic off the blind corner I decided to work an angled pull then "tail kick" my truck out after I got the rear of the car up on the edge of my deck.  Some skates, Cribbing for the curb drop and a about 15 mins time, she was loaded and on her way to the repair shop. 

IMG_0894.jpg

IMG_0895.jpg

IMG_0896.jpg

IMG_0897.jpg

IMG_0898.jpg

IMG_0899.jpg

IMG_0900.jpg

IMG_0901.jpg

IMG_0902.jpg

IMG_0903.jpg

• Like 6

PROFESSIONAL TOWING & RECOVERY IS NOT JUST A JOB.. IT IS A LIFESTYLE

Nice work with a tricky situation. Glad I'm not the only one getting ball joint jobs in tight spots this week. This one broke as he was backing up, leaving no room behind him for a bed and no room for me to get in front of him. Ended up running a block to a tree behind him and winching him back a couple feet to where I could get to the front. These ball joint blocks are worth every penny.

20210310_144351.thumb.jpg.550fa965db6c99d31f8019c769d1bb68.jpg

20210310_144440.thumb.jpg.1ca63582394b708d632f1705fae1dba8.jpg

I did this one yesterday too, he

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

Nice work! I had a vehicle the other day in a tight parking lot that had the ignition locked and the wheels were turned the whole way to one side. I figured when I get there I will give the steering wheel a tug and the ignition should turn. Because I know we had some people already that said their key won't turn, and here the steering wheel is cranked tight to the one side and the steering wheel has lots of pressure on the lock, therefor you can't turn the key without yanking on the steering wheel to relieve the pressure. But the wasn't the case with this one. I think it ended up taking a new lock cylinder. Anyway this thing was in a tight parking space with the wheels turned all the way. So I hooked to the rear and skated it just like Grumps did. And we have one of those ball joint blocks from ITI, and they are very handy when you need them!

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Stubborn66 said:

I guess our potholes aren't as big as yours, I am only getting a run on blown tires along the road down here.

good work guy, love the ones that make you think a little

The roads around the city here are notoriously famous for how horrible they are year round. But this year a lot of the outer roads are tore all up too mainly due to the fact it never really got cold enough long enough for a frostline. everything is mushy and falling apart. Bent wheels and broken suspension parts are very common here. 

Best thing i was told if you cant get it easy with no damage extra just pull the wheel first . Then set on a plank or 4x4 as a ski . 

ex-tow truck operator . ex- auto mechanic . just a nice guy trying to make a living and enjoy life .

1987 k30 chevy 1ton 4x4 built from scratch truck as my daily driver - work truck .

24 minutes ago, sweetk30 said:

Best thing i was told if you cant get it easy with no damage extra just pull the wheel first . Then set on a plank or 4x4 as a ski . 

I agree. If it is really wonked and everything is twisted up then that is my play as well. Pulling the tire will prevent tearing up the fender or bumper cover etc.. This one here I got pretty lucky with as the way it was jammed in there, the wheel would still roll backwards so it helped a lot on this one. the key is to first try straightening the "good' wheel and securing the steering wheel so nothing moves around on the bad side. then if you need to turn it, simply skate it which ever direction needed.  

• Like 3