Quantcast
  • Join the TowForce community.

It looks like you're not logged in. Register to get started and to receive Tower Down Notices.

Re: Using Light-Duty Catch-Lines ? ?

In an previous video showing a tower "soft-rollinging" back-over a vehicle lying on its driver's side, the comment of employing a catch-line was suggested as a proper technique to use. And, with as many single line boom n' winch trucks and carriers in today's industry, what optional tricks have you used to slowly lower a vehicle from it's side and through the fall space?

In the best interest of not inflicting additional recovery damage to a minimally damaged casualty, think back to the last handful of rollovers you worked and count how many times you employed a catch-line? I'd like to know what the level of catch-line training for light-duty operators there is?      R.

Randall C. Resch

Its not a common practice for light duty but maybe it should be.  I have used a rope as a control line.  Used a rope hitch off the boom to the casualty and lowered vehicle to ground.  The technique is in the WM 4/5 cirriculum. 

This is when using a wrecker.  A rollback is a harder task because you don't have a high point, and would in most cases require a 2nd vehicle or anchor of some sort. 

The operators that would actually take the time to control any rollover light or heavy is a small number even when trained how to do it. 

Nick Schade

Tony's Wrecker Service

Louisville, KY

Pretty rare but there is advantages to have all recovery techniques to be in the "Toolbox" as it broadens your recovery options. Most recoveries can be done in more that one way, having choices allows you to choose the most efficient, safest, causing no or minimum secondary damage.

This one I used a catch line as it was on a steep hill (pictures don't reflect how steep hill was)& I was concerned it may tip over towards me, the passenger rear of the truck was laying on a slight rise, the only way I could access it was from the lower side. It came over under full control.

31271_115303931845991_3495939_n.jpg

31271_115303925179325_3486202_n.jpg

31271_115303918512659_2839954_n.jpg

• Like 1

Hello from sunny (when its not raining) Orcas Island

That is an excellent example of this discussion Orcas tow. Could that roll been performed without the use of a catch line? Sure. The probability of it coming back over towards you even with a steep incline is slim BUT possible I agree. See, this is what I love about our industry most. It allows professional, educated creativity and flexibility to really shine while following "guidelines" of what has been implemented through the years as Operators and equipment have evolved. In reality, I have been using the term "catch line" incorrectly. It would better to be referred to as a "control line". You dont want to "catch" the casualty and shock-load your rigging and equipment. Your picture also shows another key example of doing a procedure that I would prefer not to do but will and have IF the situation dictates. And that is rigging the re-route block high up on the tree. Ideally, as we know the best way to use a "holmes tree" is at the base. but under the right circumstances, with a trained operator such as yourself you made the call to go high and knew what to look for while performing the roll. Excellent work Sir.

PROFESSIONAL TOWING & RECOVERY IS NOT JUST A JOB.. IT IS A LIFESTYLE

3 hours ago, GRUMPS The Towman said:

That is an excellent example of this discussion Orcas tow. Could that roll been performed without the use of a catch line? Sure. The probability of it coming back over towards you even with a steep incline is slim BUT possible I agree. See, this is what I love about our industry most. It allows professional, educated creativity and flexibility to really shine while following "guidelines" of what has been implemented through the years as Operators and equipment have evolved. In reality, I have been using the term "catch line" incorrectly. It would better to be referred to as a "control line". You dont want to "catch" the casualty and shock-load your rigging and equipment. Your picture also shows another key example of doing a procedure that I would prefer not to do but will and have IF the situation dictates. And that is rigging the re-route block high up on the tree. Ideally, as we know the best way to use a "holmes tree" is at the base. but under the right circumstances, with a trained operator such as yourself you made the call to go high and knew what to look for while performing the roll. Excellent work Sir.

Thank you Sir, covering my bases & liability, all jobs are billed by the hour so no reason to rush & take chances.

Hello from sunny (when its not raining) Orcas Island

It's something I practice with in the yard quite often, but in actuality I rarely use. Cars usually don't land that hard for me, and often times it would be a pain for me to get into a position to control them, either because they're far off the roadway or I don't want to block any more lanes then absolutely necessary. There are times, however, when it's necessary so I keep it in my toolbox.

Nice comments guys. From what I hear ya'all saying is ... practice makes perfect and having the right equipment helps. And, no, it's typically not used in light-duty applications. That's right ... I said ya'all.     R.

Randall C. Resch