Quantcast
  • Join the TowForce community.

It looks like you're not logged in. Register to get started and to receive Tower Down Notices.

Re: Tow Operator Killed AGAIN - Columbia South Carolina

rreschran

Another tower down scenario is just a few days and is reported with very little details. A tow operator in South Carolina was killed this afternoon when he drifted from highway lanes into a parked Dodge vehicle on the shoulder of SC I-26 eastbound. The tow truck then went into the tree-line, struck a tree and the tow operator was ejected as he was not wearing a seatbelt. This is another (possibly) preventable scenario if the tower was wearing a seatbelt and wasn’t somehow distracted? The news narrative doesn’t mention whether or not a cellphone was an associated factor to the crash, but a newish Peterbilt typically won’t steer its way off the highway into a parked car. Yes, I do have a bad attitude towards these kinds of repeated fatalities. Christine and I certainly send prayers to the tower’s family, but I believe these are the kinds of fatalities that are in the hands of the individual tow operator. I'm sure that some followup report will identify the operator and a potential reason for the crash.       R.

https://www.wltx.com/article/news/local/tow-truck-driver-killed-after-striking-parked-car-on-i26/101-5e84b750-291b-4584-8386-2d4d7ad9bc39  

Randall C. Resch

Tow truck driver killed after striking parked car on I-26

COLUMBIA, S.C. — One person is dead after an accident on I-26 Tuesday afternoon. 

According to Cpl. Matt with the South Carolina Highway Patrol, a 2018 Freightliner tow truck was traveling eastbound on I-26 when it struck a 2007 Dodge parked in the emergency lane on the right side of the road.

After striking the car, the tow truck went into the treeline, struck a tree and ejected the driver, who was not wearing a seat belt. The driver was pronounced dead at the scene. 

The name of the driver has not yet been released by the Newberry County Coroner. 

The accident remains under investigation by the South Carolina Highway Patrol. 

RESOURCE LINK

Hi Me+3 ... Please know that my comments made aren't intended to point fault, yet to bring heightened safety awareness to other tow operators regarding the life-saving benefits of wearing seatbelts. I too lost a family member for not wearing their seatbelt. Call it fate, call it God's choice. I have empathy and compassion for your loss because I fully have experienced the same pain of a similar like-type scenario. While this accident could have been due to other factors like a medical emergency, I don't refute that this could have been God's choice. I'm so very sorry for your loss and send prayers and condolences to you and your family.     R.

Edited by rreschran

Randall C. Resch

Me+3, You have my condolences on the tragic loss of your family member. I know no words of mine or anyone else's can relive the pain and anguish of losing a loved one. Please understand that we here on tow force and the professional towing / recovery industry are a brotherhood and we all feel the pain and loss of a fellow operator no matter if we knew the person or the situation. We here on this forum do not discuss the mistakes made by the operator, if any such as not wearing a seat belt to bash them or degrade the person involved or the tragic scenario they were placed in that caused their loss of life. We as professionals use these situations to bring to light for other operators, old and new the tragic outcomes that could come with these situations. Our aim is to reduce Operator fatalities as a whole throughout the industry. As you may or may not know, tow operator deaths in the U.S. alone are at staggering, jaw dropping levels. As painful as it is, we must learn from those mistakes others have made, Teach the "old dogs" like myself and smother new, up and coming operators with the necessary training and information to prevent these types of tragic outcomes from happening.  

Again, I send prayers to you and your family during these difficult times that lay ahead.

Rest easy Operator, your shift is over..

• Thanks 1

PROFESSIONAL TOWING & RECOVERY IS NOT JUST A JOB.. IT IS A LIFESTYLE

David Polson posted a memorial notification:

On 7/14/2020, at around 4pm, my tow family and I lost not only a coworker or a friend, but we lost a brother to a tragic accident.

We all wish it was one of us in that truck that day, but fate had other plans. As a fellow operator that is in the field day in and out, dragging the chains across the bed of my truck, I ask that any and all available operators and truck to come help Zack Fennessy family and us at Jim's Towing to give Zack his last call.

On 7/22/2020 at 10am we ask that all operator’s and trucks be present and on standby, Zack’s procession will begin at

6185 Rivers Ave, North Charleston, SC, 29406

That will then lead to

4201 Spruil Ave, North Charleston, SC, 29405

Where Zack’s memorial will be held, at this time Jim’s Towing will lead the procession to

I-26 @ College Park Road

All are welcome to come join us in relieving Zack of his duties. Rest easy brother, we will drag the chains from here.