Quantcast
  • Join the TowForce community.

It looks like you're not logged in. Register to get started and to receive Tower Down Notices.

percentage of 3 shift tow companies?

Does anybody have figures relating to how many small tow companies are in America that let's say have a couple trucks and a couple drivers that basically operate 8:00 am - 5:00 pm and after hours owner answers phone and see which one of his guys can do a tow at night or on the weekend versus companies that have 3 manned shifts and dispatchers around the clock?

cjwagner.png

Check out our website at:  www.cjwagnerinc.com

Stuart ... that's a really tough question to answer. After all these years, I still haven't determined how many tow operators there might be in the US? I'd venture to say that the insurance industry (those who insure tow companies) may have an idea. Personally, I wouldn't know where to start.   R.  

Randall C. Resch

I guess what I am getting at is that all these motor clubs think you have fleet of trucks and guys ready to run their calls. They send you an automated message or text with seconds to respond if we are accepting or declining a call. At night or weekends I need a minute or two to see who is available and if they want to go? I would just think that there are a lot of small tow companies versus the big 3 shift tow companies like 75 percent small and 25 percent big, but just guessing.

cjwagner.png

Check out our website at:  www.cjwagnerinc.com

I would think it would continue to be very low. This would be due to the number of tow truck drivers we are seeing and the fact many companies would need to run their equipment with multiple drivers. The more drivers in a truck the more maintenance that truck requires. Either due to the additional hours the truck is in service or the way the different drivers treat the truck. Running equipment round the clock is never a good idea. Prove me wrong!

Right-on Moose ! ! !  I have to remember as I participate in this forum that not all towers work in big cities and many more live in rual communities. For big city towers serving big city populations, there's sometimes the need to roll tow equipment around the clock. Depending on the way a company operates, that may require three shifts and trucks working at its max. It's those three shifts and three sets of driver personalities that takes its toll on a tow company's fleet, especially in light-duty operations. For my company, it was necessary to have two (spare) fleet trucks used to rotated to meet service and maintenance schedules. Drivers didn't like them because they weren't, "their", trucks. That created a level of persistent whining because those spare trucks weren't the newest, weren't the best, or, weren't outfitted with the newest equipment. But that's a requirement of fleet rotation ... sorry. I personally like three-shifts because it gives drivers the oppportunity to get home and get some sleep and needed rest, more so, be with their spouses and kids like real people are supposed to do. It lessens some of the office drama, company politics, and allows some of the, "more problematic", drivers to keep their jobs because they weren't so good at dealing with customers and the motoring public. To all that, I also try not to call and ask them to come-in on days-off, but only in times of emergency, nasty weather expectations, and special events. Motor clubs and the law enforcement community don't care about what size operation you're running, only that you have trucks available, your drivers are compentent, and they show up on-time. Although your equiment and personnel issues are real ... they don't want excuses, only action.     R.

Randall C. Resch

On 7/6/2020 at 9:09 PM, Stuart Wagner said:

I guess what I am getting at is that all these motor clubs think you have fleet of trucks and guys ready to run their calls. They send you an automated message or text with seconds to respond if we are accepting or declining a call. At night or weekends I need a minute or two to see who is available and if they want to go? I would just think that there are a lot of small tow companies versus the big 3 shift tow companies like 75 percent small and 25 percent big, but just guessing.

I Get what your saying Mr. Stewart. I run a 2 man show with my business partner with 2 trucks. Just him and myself. We have no other employees. He has his 1 ton self loader and I have my 5500 roll back. I too hate how these clubs call with that automated thingy and basically demand an answer in seconds regarding the call. Sometimes It takes me a few minutes to look up where the call is and where it is going to see if it will fit into what I have going on at that given moment and whatnot. Or I am dead asleep and all of a sudden I have to quickly digest what that thing is saying. At least if it is a human calling I can ask them to hold for a second so I can collect myself. I do feel there is more "mom and pop" tow companies like myself at least around here than there are big 3 shift companies. And my region is a good mixed bag of moderate sized cities, villages and rural middle of no-where areas. So I would have to agree with your guess on the percentages

PROFESSIONAL TOWING & RECOVERY IS NOT JUST A JOB.. IT IS A LIFESTYLE

We have a 3rd shift, kind of. We have a "part time"  guy who comes in 5 nights a week from 4 to 10pm to take the load off for a few hours. However, after 10pm or if we get loaded up with calls during that 6 hour period then my dad, my uncle, or I go out, depending on who's answering the phone that night.