Quantcast
  • Join the TowForce community.

It looks like you're not logged in. Register to get started and to receive Tower Down Notices.

Doodlebug, or whooziwhatzit?

28-29 Model A 1 ton shortened & turned in to a log skidder, home made winch from a tapered axle rear end, a couple of brake drums & a chain driven 3 speed transmission, heck even has a winch brake, pretty cool git er done engineering right there.

IMG_5402.jpg

IMG_5403.jpg

IMG_5404.jpg

IMG_5405.jpg

IMG_5406.jpg

Edited by Orcas Tow
  • Like 5

Hello from sunny (when its not raining) Orcas Island

I found several of these when I did a search. I was thinking I might see this one, although close there was nothing quite like it. I found several 1930 Model A Trucks covered and then realized it looked more like a 1928 Model. I don't know that much about them so I don't know for sure what year it is, maybe you or someone else does.

54 minutes ago, GRUMPS The Towman said:

It has been so heavily modified that it is hard to tell. The grille and front lights are most certainly 1928. But the hood and side shields do look like a later model. 

Now Id be real impressed if you can ID the trans & reared/winch;)

Lol. Ill try... here it goes...

The rear end running the winch is a early model ford 8.8 housing. very similar to the fabled ford 9 inch rears that we use in our race cars. the transmission used for the winch appears to be a muncie unit but without a serial # it will be difficult to determine exactly what muncie it is. if it only a 3 speed then it isnt the almighty "rock crusher" that many out there may have heard of because that was a 4 speed. As far as the winch goes, I am gonna cry uncle on it. it almost looks as if it is home made. from the pic it looks like the drum is wood.... how did I do?? Lol. Ive always  had a thing for old school equipment.

PROFESSIONAL TOWING & RECOVERY IS NOT JUST A JOB.. IT IS A LIFESTYLE

On 12/19/2019 at 6:21 PM, GRUMPS The Towman said:

Wow I really was off the mark on my guesses. lol I still think its a muncie style trans which it may be if it came from a dodge or studebaker. Still an awesome machine!!!!

I added a running video, my friend Gary has old "junk" fever

Edited by Orcas Tow
  • Like 1

That thing takes me back to when I was a kid ... I was a model building fool who favored building all kinds of models. And, after every model came extra parts that were thrown in to a box labled, "extra part". At some point when that box of extra parts was filled up, I built something that resembled a whooziwhatzit. I don't know if it was a log skidder or a tow truck, but I somehow fashioned my box of parts into something remotely creative.  Fast forward to today's box of parts that are best known as Rat Rods for us adults who haven't quite grown up yet.     R. 

• Like 1

Randall C. Resch