Quantcast
  • Join the TowForce community.

It looks like you're not logged in. Register to get started and to receive Tower Down Notices.

The Use of Red Flashing Lamps by Roadside Rescue & Recovery Operators

Zoggie

The Use of Red Flashing Lamps by Roadside Rescue & Recovery Operators

After many years of campaigning by the Independent vehicle recovery industry it appears that the subject of recovery operators being able to use red flashing lights when at the scene of a disabled vehicle at the side of the road has finally been publicly acknowledged by the Government and that we need the use of red lights to be permitted in order to better protect our roadside staff in the course of their duties in providing an essential service to the motoring public at the roadside.

The Policy Paper – Plan for Drivers released by Department for Transport today (2nd October 2023) includes the following statements:

• Safer breakdown recoveries. Permitting red flashing lights for breakdown vehicles, helping to protect recovery drivers by making them more visible at the roadside.

What they are planning to do next within the policy is:

• Road recovery operators provide a crucial service to stranded drivers and support the economy by getting goods moving and preventing the build-up of congestion on our busy road network to help journeys flow more smoothly. To help keep them safe and get people moving again when vehicles break down, we will permit the use of rear-facing red flashing lamps by road recovery operators.

The full Policy Paper can be found at 

https://www.gov.uk/government/publications/plan-for-drivers/the-plan-for-drivers?fbclid=IwAR1Rwu8lxmTf7nz6hrQV-mg2m8DD-3Q4Mn_omeR-I-i_E9VR4rFwpNV4Jsk

• Like 1

After more than 30 years of campaigning......the UK government have finally accepted that towers working at side of the road need the added protection of flashing rear red lights 

Up until now..... all the emergency services are permitted to operate flashing rear red lights whilst stationary at the scene of accidents,

Breakdowns or any road traffic incidents on the highways....but towers and breakdown services were not allowed that priveledge...

For years we have argued that towers need the same protection as every other emergency worker ....

The government have previosly argued that allowing towers  to use red  lights it will be open to abuse ...

To avoid that ..towers will be required to apply for a permit and be an approved operative before the flashing red lights  can legally used at the roadside ...

A huge thank you must go out to the industry teams that have tirelessly worked to make this happen...

John.

• Like 2

• TowForce featured and featured this topic

John I'm glad they are finally agreeing to consider the towing & recovery industries concerns in the matter. We fight some of the very same issues here in the states. I'll admit, it frustrates me to see the added level of "enforcement" making the company apply for a permit...undoubtedly at a "cost factor" for the right to protect your interest. Typically when the "Bureaucracy" gets involved, it's to benefit their own agenda. Maybe I'm just cynical but the thought of some paper pusher deciding the validity of my better wellbeing based on their pre-determined rules or regulations sort of ticks me off...but that's me...LoL

Good luck with the outcome guys.

• Like 1

Ed... thank you for your comments ...

Its like everything when dealing  with Govt departments   the devil is in the detail...

Its all about protecting their asses  before considering the operator working at the side of the road in all weathers  day or night !!

Permits will only be issued to Bona-fide companies... 

they are insisting on the installation of a device that will automatically switches the red lights off once the vehicle exceeds 5 mph ... so there will be a cost to that..

Plus all operatives must receive suitable training...

John.

• Like 1

Yesterday on BBC breakfast at 08:20 Sam Cockerill and Andy Lambert did the industry proud from the hard work that has been done getting the use for red lights on to Rescue Recovery Operators to use. Thank you for what you have achieved. Its now up to the industry to implement them correctly. 

• Like 1

Canada was successful in changing its lighting that added blue to its sequence. It should be standard for vehicles serving the highways. If it takes a permit and additional training to qualify for their use, so be it. Thanks Sam for your efforts.

• Like 2

Randall C. Resch

Sam, Andy Lambert,  Derek Firminger, Richard Goddard, Paul Anstee and bunch of other dedicated towers after endless lobbying to government departments,  members of Parliament and senior police officials....after many years have finally got it over the line ....

They are heroes..every one of them ...

John.

• Like 1

• TowForce featured this topic
  • TowForce unfeatured this topic
  • 4 weeks later...

Update on the Authorisation process...

numerous UK  towing companies have registered an interest in applying for the necessary permit to use red lights ...only to be told the DOT hasn't even worked out the authorisation procedure yet  !!! 

No date is available for the applications to commence....

once again ... a fine example of the incredible efficiency  of the UK  government departments ... 

• Like 1