Quantcast
  • Join the TowForce community.

It looks like you're not logged in. Register to get started and to receive Tower Down Notices.

Updating Light Bar For New Regulations...

PA Passed a law a fee weeks ago allowing rear facing Blue lights on tow trucks. We had one of our providers come in to move a couple amber modules to the front and new blue modules in the rear...

20230302_092421.thumb.jpg.d3bf400b85dd42702c1acb1f042b98c5.jpg

It's hard to catch it in a picture... But now the entire bar is populated, front & back. I'm curious to see how they look on the road at night.

• Like 4

1 hour ago, brian991219 said:

I'm sure you do, but just making sure everyone knows that blue is stationary only and rear facing only in PA. I'm curious, do you have the blues on a separate switch for when you are out of state and need to activate amber only?

No Brian, they aren't on a individual switch, they just come on with the bar light. Honestly we typically wouldn't be doing anything out of state with the lights on anyway. The body sides & front strobes are on a separate switch if needed. I don't worry too much about the "Legality" issue of them much anyway...

21 minutes ago, EdsTowing said:

No Brian, they aren't on a individual switch, they just come on with the bar light. Honestly we typically wouldn't be doing anything out of state with the lights on anyway. The body sides & front strobes are on a separate switch if needed. I don't worry too much about the "Legality" issue of them much anyway...

Just a heads up, I have received notice from PSP they intend to cite for all blue light violations on the first offense. Seems Harrisburg is not that pleased we have this new legislation.

• Like 2

On 3/3/2023 at 4:14 PM, brian991219 said:

Just a heads up, I have received notice from PSP they intend to cite for all blue light violations on the first offense. Seems Harrisburg is not that pleased we have this new legislation.

We have mounted rear facing blue's that are on a separate switch simply because it was easier and cheaper than to have the light bar modified.  We will continue to put out flares when on a busy roadway, the smoke and flame seems to get attention better than any light bar.

I am sure there will be operators who run with them on, hopefully when they get that ticket they will stop running with the yellows on the all the time as well.  It is amazing to me how many operators run with the lights on all the time.  It is no wonder the people are desensitized to the yellow's.  

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

A good friend will bail you out of jail, but a great friend will ...

20 hours ago, Stubborn66 said:

I am sure there will be operators who run with them on, hopefully when they get that ticket they will stop running with the yellows on the all the time as well.  It is amazing to me how many operators run with the lights on all the time.  It is no wonder the people are desensitized to the yellow's.  

It never ceases to amaze me how many guys I see around our area that run with their yellows on even while they are empty!

• Like 1

On 3/3/2023 at 4:14 PM, brian991219 said:

Talked to two officers I know over the weekend, both said they were briefed that blue lights were now legal for us but nothing about stepping up policing it????

4 hours ago, Stubborn66 said:

Talked to two officers I know over the weekend, both said they were briefed that blue lights were now legal for us but nothing about stepping up policing it????

I have had three different VFI's from three different Troops tell me the same thing and we discussed it at our last association board meeting. The Bureau of Patrol is not pleased, they were in opposition when the law was introduced and unhappy it has passed. Perhaps some PSP barracks and local officers are going to be more understanding than others but not all will. We also have heard pushback from multiple firefighter associations and a handful of fire chiefs regarding towers having blue lights. Seems a few are insulted that we get to use the same color as their courtesy lights.

As for a written harsh enforcement policy, PSP isn't about to do that. Their official statement is one of awareness, making officers and towers alike aware of the exact language of the Bill. This is typical when they want something enforced with no ambiguity.

10 minutes ago, brian991219 said:

I have had three different VFI's from three different Troops tell me the same thing and we discussed it at our last association board meeting. The Bureau of Patrol is not pleased, they were in opposition when the law was introduced and unhappy it has passed. Perhaps some PSP barracks and local officers are going to be more understanding than others but not all will. We also have heard pushback from multiple firefighter associations and a handful of fire chiefs regarding towers having blue lights. Seems a few are insulted that we get to use the same color as their courtesy lights.

As for a written harsh enforcement policy, PSP isn't about to do that. Their official statement is one of awareness, making officers and towers alike aware of the exact language of the Bill. This is typical when they want something enforced with no ambiguity.

Sounds about right, time will tell, I hope they do start enforcing the lights going down the road

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 3/5/2023 at 10:27 AM, Stubborn66 said:

On 3/6/2023 at 7:16 AM, Derlyn Z said:

It never ceases to amaze me how many guys I see around our area that run with their yellows on even while they are empty!

It really grinds my gears to see them running them needlessly too.

Mark

Just a follow up...my driver told me today that he was on the interstate yesterday with this truck and was surprised on how everyone was moving over...to the point that they were running the shoulder of the hammer lane and he was completely in the breakdown lane. Hopefully it helps us in the future.

• Like 3