Quantcast
  • Join the TowForce community.

It looks like you're not logged in. Register to get started and to receive Tower Down Notices.

Tower Down - 07.27.22 (PA) "Updated 08.01.22"

Tow truck driver killed on Pa. Turnpike

Tow truck driver killed when truck falls on him on the Pennsylvania Turnpike in Somerset County

SOMERSET, Pa. —

A tow truck driver has died after a truck he was preparing to tow fell on him and killed him.

The incident happened a little after 12:05 a.m. Wednesday in the westbound lanes of the Pennsylvania Turnpike, about 7 miles west of Somerset.

The eastbound lanes were closed between the New Stanton and Breezewood exits and all lanes were closed between Somerset and Donegal following the incident.

The identities of the people involved have not been released.

RESOURCE LINK

UPDATE:

The Tow Truck Operator is reported as being with Herring Motor out of Somerset, PA.

There are no further details at this time.

UPDATE:

Somerset tow truck operator killed on turnpike

4606d1e6-e2b0-41c2-8bc6-7a187cbfd898-turnpike_1_JPG.webp

A 26-year-old Somerset Herring Motor Co. driver died in a tragic accident early Wednesday while he was securing a truck for a tow during a service call on the Pennsylvania Turnpike about 7 miles west of Somerset.

38728888_1844640748915486_6092395557299421184_n.jpg     295633865_1030924854256470_705161918204220810_n.jpg

Thomas Hoket, of Johnstown, was pronounced deceased at 1:34 a.m. at the scene by Somerset Deputy Coroner Alexis Lichty.

293e2f38-cfbf-4f3f-9157-cacfe2e4ba29-herringJPG.webp

Somerset County Coroner Cullen Swank said an autopsy to determine cause of death was scheduled for Wednesday afternoon.

According to Col. Matthew Johnston, turnpike communications officer, the incident is not considered a crash, but is referred to as a death investigation by the state police. The investigation is being performed by Trooper Sondra Haberl of the Somerset State Police Barracks.

"It is very, very tragic," Johnston said.

18225ade-c652-4bd6-b410-0405f86191ff-herring_1JPG.webp

RESOURCE LINK

Thomas Hoket was a USMC Marine and leaves behind a wife being newlywed within the past year.

198289677_5637472566324845_4010433498118284248_n.jpg285555420_5152571358122392_2840708988120319832_n.jpg

Thomas Michael Hoket

62e2d4b309ad5.jpg
January 24, 1996 ~ July 27, 2022 (age 26)

Obituary
Thomas Michael Hoket, 26, of Johnstown, died July 27, 2022 in Somerset. Born January 24, 1996 in Somerset, he is the son of Tammy Halle and her boyfriend Kenny Wyant and Terry Hoket all of Somerset. Also survived by his wife the former Brenda Jean Rasmussen to whom he was married one year, and brother Steven Hoket of Somerset. Tom was a 2014 graduate of Somerset High School, he was a US Marine Corps. Veteran, and was currently working for Herring Motors as a tow truck operator. He enjoyed riding motorcycles, hunting, and spending time with his family. Friends received 9-11 a.m. Monday at the Hauger-Zeigler Funeral Home & Cremation Services, Somerset, where a service will immediately follow at 11 a.m with Reverend Kevin Davis officiating. Interment Somerset County Memorial Park.In lieu of flowers contributions may be made to Somerset County Honor Guard 139 W. Union St. Somerset, PA 15501. Military graveside rites accorded by the Somerset County Honor Guard. To leave a condolence please visit www.haugerzeigler.com
Herring Motors released the following statement on July 28th, 2022:

Being a tow truck operator is a very dangerous job; we pray for everyone in our Herring family every day, knowing the situations they are faced with. Over the past 24 hours, we have been grieving the loss of one of our own and trying to say the right words has been difficult.

Our hearts are extremely heavy over the loss of Tom, who passed away in a tragic accident yesterday, while working on the PA Turnpike. Tom was a hard worker and dedicated to his job. He was a friendly guy, talked to everyone, and always had a smile on his face.

While we are mourning the loss of our friend, our family, we ask that you please keep Tom’s family in your prayers, as well as the staff at Herring Motor.

Thank you to everyone who has reached out to us offering support and love.

To our customers: We will be running a limited staff on Monday, August 1st, so we can be with Tom's family. Thank you for your understanding.

Brenda Hoket wife of Thomas Hoket posted:
What I would do to have you back home and In my arms, I would of never thought I would loose you so soon. You were my rock you helped me so much become the person I am,I know your yelling down at me telling me to eat and not to be upset but with you not being here is one of the hardest things I have ever felt in my life I want this to be a dream and I wake up with you beside me. I just want my husband back.