Quantcast
  • Join the TowForce community.

It looks like you're not logged in. Register to get started and to receive Tower Down Notices.

Things that go bump in the night

Truck scared me half to death last night. 

Busy night last night phone started and 6 PM I got home at 4:30 AM. Two tanks of fuel. 

About 1 PM my truck started making a serious banging noise in the left front intermittently above 65 MPH. 

When it had 15,000 miles on it the rear drive line front bolts at the trans yoke came loose. I had about 5 seconds warning when it started to vibrate then sheared off. Not a stellar moment. It had a frame extension and I assume they didnt put lock tight back on the threads when the driveline went in. It lives in my memory banks and I am overly ADD about stuff to begin with. 

I pull over look all over the place and cant find it. So I trudge on customer car on the deck and customer in the passenger front seat. Wondering if I’m about to have a not so great a moment. 90 mile tow. Drop the car off and find a parking lot. Left front mud flap is broken and beating into the body. I pull it off and mentally come back to a mental level of lifes ok.  It sounded like I was about to loose something in a bad way. I’m an auto tech own two shops as well. 

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Dad has an old truck that pops and squeaks, try to drowned it out and it only gets louder. The truck sits to much so that is part of the reason. However, our shop mechanic has been thru it and says it's coming from the frame mounts. I think it's the driver that drove that truck up to his death when Dad purchased it. Well, his widow actually gave it to us cause our company help with the funeral expenses.