Quantcast
  • Join the TowForce community.

It looks like you're not logged in. Register to get started and to receive Tower Down Notices.

An Enterprise Gone Bad

Just the other day the Police called us for a car that was off the road. It was a brand new Nissan from Enterprise Rental, and the driver smashed it into a guard rail. They got taken by ambulance, and they must have took the keys along with them. because we had no keys and the electric parking brake was locked. So we hooked to the back and drug the rear up towards the road and the slide it onto the bed.

IMG_20210227_143408_5.thumb.jpg.a1844bc20fc1828854263406f1638fae.jpg

IMG_20210227_143353_0.thumb.jpg.92f7bdc992334eaf671f933515389b34.jpg

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Allen C. said:

There wasn’t anything in the owners manual about where to find the emergency shift release?

Being able to override the shift system is one thing, but as has been discussed at legnth on other posts here, the electric park brakes are a whole different animal. 

From the looks of the pics, the rear wheels being locked probably actually made the recovery easier by allowing it to slide over to the side as Derlyn Z winched back from the guard rail. I myself often use ebrakes, and transmissions in park ( with skates when possible of course) to get vehicles to slide one way or another as needed.  

PROFESSIONAL TOWING & RECOVERY IS NOT JUST A JOB.. IT IS A LIFESTYLE

1 hour ago, Allen C. said:

There wasn’t anything in the owners manual about where to find the emergency shift release?

I know I sure wouldnt hang around on the side of the roadway to sit and read the manual.  The electric brakes are a pain.  Im usually in a wrecker, so wheel lift and dollies and charge accordingly.  But in a bed I would have done exactly as shown.  Quick, easy and damage free.  Plus enterprise pays well.

store_21169_logo_image_1613770811.png

Allen,

I had found the release for the gear shift lever, which was a small cover that pops out of the bezel around the shift lever(That is one thing I like about the Nissans, as most of those have an easy release for the gear selector). But what I was talking about in my post, was the electronic parking brake, which to my knowledge there is no easy way to release those if you don't have the keys. But I could be wrong on that?

Chrysler 200 was my first experience with the electronic brake systems. Sadly many dealers are setting these to automatic without the buyers consent or being advised there is an option. My objection is do you normally set the parking brake when you park the vehicle under normal parking situations. The answer is overwhelmingly no, so why would anyone need to automatically set the brake. The is a needless feature and it should be costly when the vehicle needs to be towed regardless if it's a rollback or regular tow truck and dollies. Just My Opinion, I don't even look for an option I just pull out the dollies. If they were a customer I would explain why...