Quantcast
  • Join the TowForce community.

It looks like you're not logged in. Register to get started and to receive Tower Down Notices.

Not the Xmas gift I wanted....

Took a call from the county sheriff's dispatch This Xmas for a burned out truck on a seasonal road. It turned out to be whats left of a Mazda b2000 pickup. It was pretty deep down this steep, seasonal road not far from my house. Apparently, two other tow companies from the rotation were called for it and refused it because they couldnt get to it with a flat bed and did not want to use a wrecker to drag it out to the roadway. Knowing that road pretty well, I knew I could get down in there easily with my flat bed being 4wd. Being an older junk truck, the sheriffs office gave me permission to scrap it asap so I wont have to babysit it for months. I wont make any money on this deal but I did my part to help out the sheriff dept. and got some junk out of our wooded areas that we hunt, camp and ride atv's on.

I didnt get any pics going down in or loading unfortunately but you can get an idea of the road from the pics I did take. It was just on the other side of that bend in the road at the bottom.

IMG_0681.jpg

IMG_0680.jpg

IMG_0679.jpg

• Like 2

PROFESSIONAL TOWING & RECOVERY IS NOT JUST A JOB.. IT IS A LIFESTYLE

Prices are up here too. I think what they consider "complete cars" are around $285 a ton. Maybe I can pass this as complete.. The battery, cats and wheels are still technically there...🤔 Incomplete cars are $ 230ish.. Thank god the deputy cut me a release notice for it. This way the scrap yard wont give me any guff about not having a title for it.

If you not familiar with Cat prices some of them are through the roof.  I just got 300 for a set of cats I took off a 5.4 triton ford.  6.0 chevy truck cats are bringing 500 from the guy who takes mine.  He has a book with the serial numbers for cats and a price for each.  sometimes hard to read the serial numbers on them..............i didnt even know they had them until I got hooked up with this guy

• Like 1

A good friend will bail you out of jail, but a great friend will ...

My partner finally had time to haul it down to the scrapper today. We ended up with $295 for the truck ( a few other odd n ends were thrown in with it too ) and $315 for the cats off of it. $600 n change for a little more than an hours work n maybe a 1/4 tank of fuel is just fine in my book. 

My partner is the scrapper of our operation. I would rather not be bothered with it. 

I know it can be easy money sometimes, Especially when the prices are up like now, I just hate doing all the prep work n whatnot or babysitting a mountain of cars waiting for thew price to come up. 

I had been selling my junk to an old timer who has been coming around for years so I didnt have to deal with it. 

Now, I sell the cats, rotors, aluminum, and batteries separate.  Then I  went to a local scrap yard and got a dumpster type container from him for the other junk.  When it is full, I take it in, he dumps it and pays me by the pound and I have only moved the junk once.

Making out much better, kind of feel sorry for the old timer but he made a ton off me over the years

A good friend will bail you out of jail, but a great friend will ...