Quantcast
  • Join the TowForce community.

It looks like you're not logged in. Register to get started and to receive Tower Down Notices.

Proper Disposition of Vehicle Key!

The Question was asked on FB:

A) Customer calls to complain that the driver failed to give the key to said vehicles owner when delivered.

B) The Driver stated without doubt that he gave the key to the owner when the vehicle was delivered.

How does your company handle this situation?

There are three parties mentioned Ron ... customer caller, driver and the vehicle's owner. I hate these, "He said she said" situations. I spoke to a tow company's owner advising him to have a new key made. Although it was a $250 key, that money was well-spent versus the vehicle's owner trashing the tow company on Facebook and slam the company on BBB websites. That's one of those situations where either a photo of or a hold-harmless paper is signed when the key exchanges hands. This particular outcome was favorable where the same owner called him a week after to have his wife's car towed.      R.

Randall C. Resch

I have had this very situation happen on a couple occasions over the years. The first one cost me a re-key on the vehicle although I know for CERTAIN that the key AND the customers info was dropped in the repair shops after hours box. The next morning, the repair shop claims they only had the paperwork in there. Problem was, I had no proof of that. So I ate it. My speculation is that the ignition and the key were pretty worn, I remember the key looked terrible and the customer had a friend at the shop that backed up what he was accusing me of in an effort to get his ignition replaced on my dime. Since then, I ALWAYS notate specifically on the invoice where or what was done with the vehicles keys after the drop and even if I feel like the key or ignition seems hinkey. I havent had Issue since although I have had another customer try to play that game with me.

PROFESSIONAL TOWING & RECOVERY IS NOT JUST A JOB.. IT IS A LIFESTYLE

So, I read this the other day and questioned myself about my habit of putting the keys in my pocket.  I put the keys in my pocket so I don't get locked out of a vehicle on the bed, never had an issue.    TODAY, busy day, finally forgot to leave the keys with a car at a local repair shop UUGH.  Now, I get to take a trip in the morning to deliver keys  LOL.  Maybe I can talk the wife into it????  

• Haha 1

A good friend will bail you out of jail, but a great friend will ...

4 minutes ago, Stubborn66 said:

So, I read this the other day and questioned myself about my habit of putting the keys in my pocket.  I put the keys in my pocket so I don't get locked out of a vehicle on the bed, never had an issue.    TODAY, busy day, finally forgot to leave the keys with a car at a local repair shop UUGH.  Now, I get to take a trip in the morning to deliver keys  LOL.  Maybe I can talk the wife into it????  

I cant lie.... Ive been there.. lol.

I dont put customer keys in my pocket often, but there has been a rare occasion. It usually results in me making that trip of shame.. LOL

PROFESSIONAL TOWING & RECOVERY IS NOT JUST A JOB.. IT IS A LIFESTYLE