Quantcast
  • Join the TowForce community.

It looks like you're not logged in. Register to get started and to receive Tower Down Notices.

Personal protection

I was just reading about a tow operator who shot a rival tow operator in Pittsburg Pa. after some kind of altercation and it was ruled as self defense. I cant fathom any tow job being so important that it would come to drawing a weapon.

I am wondering how other companies feel about drivers carrying weapons while on duty for personal protection. 

A good friend will bail you out of jail, but a great friend will ...

I have had a carry permit for years and I have been carrying at night for years, just my personal preference.  If it is concealed properly, no one knows but it is my last line of defense and if possibly I will always walk away.  There are just too many crazies out there and it is not going to get any better.  I have just had a discussion with my wife and she is going to a training classes to handle a handgun safely, she is all for it, years ago she would not have been but times are changing, and not for the better unfortunately.

I have never even thought of a vest.

When I read that story about Pittsburgh where a apparently a territorial issue came to firearms I couldn't believe it.

On my archived data, as many as 150 towers have been killed by crimes of violence ... even Netflix TV had a feature segment of a tow operator ambushed and killed in a robbery gone bad.. Within the right to carry come responsibilities where more than one tower is serving time for their wrong decision.    R

• Like 1

Randall C. Resch

Situations like what happened in pitt are caused by un-regulated, predatory towing. It can be the wild west in areas with no rotations, rules or regulations. Companies will listen in on the police band and the instant there is word of a wreck, the chase is on. the first truck to the scene gets the work. Imagine 5 or 6 different companies racing through the city to get to an accident scene. 

Dont get me wrong, I am not a fan of the government telling me what I can and cant charge but I also dont want to have to fight like a ragged dog for work.  

PROFESSIONAL TOWING & RECOVERY IS NOT JUST A JOB.. IT IS A LIFESTYLE

5 minutes ago, rreschran said:

On my archived data, as many as 150 towers have been killed by crimes of violence ... even Netflix TV had a feature segment of a tow operator ambushed and killed in a robbery gone bad.. Within the right to carry come responsibilities where more than one tower is serving time for their wrong decision.    R

And for that reason, My weapon stays home when I am in the truck. Those responsibilites are amplified and compounded by the fact that you are in the course of working for profit If I was to use my weapon while on duty. It is a totally different ball game if i am just out and about in my personal vehicle. The laws here are extremley complicated and easilly turned against the firearms owner. 

PROFESSIONAL TOWING & RECOVERY IS NOT JUST A JOB.. IT IS A LIFESTYLE

"Within the right to carry come responsibilities where more than one tower is serving time for their wrong decision."

That statement says it all, " wrong decision"  But, that is not limited to "towers", there are many people who have used a concealed weapon in non-life threating situations who are paying for their bad decision.

I accept that responsibility to protect myself and my family.  I am not sure if I would condone an employee of mine, if I had any, to carry while working for me which is what got me thinking about this as I am getting close to trying to bring someone on .  Thanks for the viewpoints

It's not always about the car you're towing.  Tow operators get targeted for robberies because dirtbags figure you're carrying cash, or they can take your truck and use it for an auto theft spree.  Or these days, just random crazies in the streets, end up at the wrong place/wrong time and you're the target just by convenience.

I spent years and years in this business not carrying any kind of weapon at all.  Once they started robbing random people in apartment complex parking lots, my attitude changed completely.  The old saying still holds true, rather be judged by 12 than carried by 6.  I'm going to do my best to go home alive, can't say I share that concern for anyone that thinks I'm a mark.

Richard

• Like 1

Whether the tow company owner allows his employee to carry or not, the company assumes a huge level of legal responsibility should the employee be involved in an on-the-job shooting or other violent action. The tow company's. "vicarious liability". should always be their number one priority. 

In 1997, I wrote and article in American Towman having to do with towers falling victim of, "Truck Jack". That possibility is more true now than every with the political climate being what it is. Towers are always an easy mark for robbery. So, choices have to be made. While I personally don't advocate towers carrying sidearms, I belive in the right to personal protection.            R.

Randall C. Resch