Quantcast
  • Join the TowForce community.

It looks like you're not logged in. Register to get started and to receive Tower Down Notices.

Customers placing vehicles in nuetral

In other topics it has been addressed that it is better for the tow operator to place a vehicle in neutral should take be an available option. While I agree and would prefer to have the vehicle owner/person with the keys stand back away. Due to Covid-19 I find myself asking the person with the vehicle to do this more often. If not I always wear gloves, and keep a distance from those with the vehicle. I am overly cautious, No Way! I not nuts about it, I don't even like it. But, yet I except that we need to add precautions when possible. Yet, more than half our industry is still transporting passengers without any precautions.

In another topic we'll explore how many tow truck operators have been tested positive since all this began. For now, are you finding yourself taking additional precautions such as having the customer place the vehicle in neutral, straighten the wheel, take the brake off, etc.? Are you wearing proper PPE, Mask when closer than 6 feet from others, Gloves when entering a vehicle? Remember these are people using your service, you do not know them. They could have tested positive, do you think they are going to tell you?

But, those people are quarantined for 14 days. Come on you know human nature, they need something from the store. They believe they can just get in their vehicle, wear a mask run in and out and be be home. Then it happens the vehicle breaks down or they are involved in an accident.

That's Where You Meet A Positive, Do Not Let It Turn Into A Negative For You!

One is not going to PPE themselves away from a VIRUS. One can do all they can to boost their immune system. Unfortunately, everything that an individual can do to strengthen their immune system is the opposite of what many operators do.

They are:

Get the proper amount of rest.

Most operators operate on a sleep deficit similar to government spending. We just geg an "F" in getting the proper amount of sleep.

Stay h2o hydrated. 

A person is properly h2o hydrated if they drink one once of water per pound of body weight per day. This excludes coffee and pop. Energy drinks do not count towards your h2o count either.

Refrain from eating processed foods. 

Eat more vegetables, fruits, and nuts. Avoid breads

Avoid alcohol. It is the number one free radical. 

• Like 1

Being I usually drive a wheel lift, 9 times out of 10 this isn't an issue for me as the cars stay in park for the duration of my time with it. On the rare case I take a bed, I still prefer to put them in neutral myself.

My first action when approaching a customer is and always has been to take the keys from them, this way I know I won't get run over by them putting the vehicle in neutral prematurely, like when I'm underneath it. Too many times they've tried to neutral it while it's facing down hill before I get it secure. I'd rather deal with the 1000 to 1 chance I get covid then be run over, the survival rate is in my favor that way. 

• Like 2

The thing I can is that you wear gloves when taking the keys or entering the vehicle. Remove the gloves in a proper manner not to touch the outside. Each any every driver should be doing this as a habit by now. Believe me I know this sounds crazy and I am no germaphobe but I was doing this prior to Covid. Why take a chance when this is such a simple thing to do.

I will say it again, just like those who wear a glove to pump gas. Then take it off and open a door that is turned by may more hands without the protection or continue to wear that same glove through the store and back out to their truck where they open the door with it on. Then throw the glove away and touch the door handle. While we cannot stop the transmission we can certainly limit it. I will ask, how often do you touch your face. I have had persons tell me "I don't touch my face" while I watch them touch their face at least once. often two and three times. it's like blinking ones eyes, you do not know how many times you do that until you try not to do it. Now  have you thinking about touching your face and you did or blinking your eyes and you're thinking about it. The power of suggestion is powerful when it come to involuntary actions. How the voluntary action of wearing gloves and taking added precautions is not as easy.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...
On 8/19/2020 at 6:43 PM, TowZone said:

In another topic we'll explore how many tow truck operators have been tested positive since all this began. For now, are you finding yourself taking additional precautions such as having the customer place the vehicle in neutral, straighten the wheel, take the brake off, etc.? Are you wearing proper PPE, Mask when closer than 6 feet from others, Gloves when entering a vehicle? Remember these are people using your service, you do not know them. They could have tested positive, do you think they are going to tell you?

Do we know how many operators have tested positive since this all began?  I am sure there have been some, just wondering if someone has the statistic?  I still rather get the keys and not have a customer in the vehicle.

A good friend will bail you out of jail, but a great friend will ...

Due to HEPA Laws that information is not available. Seems the majority that test positive are Asymptomatic and do not disclose. While they are ordered to quarantine for 14 days, we all know this is a towing industry and to expect that everyone does may be a stretch. However, I am sure someone is much more informed about this than I am. This is allergy season for me and it came a little late this year. Breathing & Sneezing Issues as normal. But hey, I can smell and I can taste so I'm good right. I might need to cut back on the sample testing though...

Thought's are with anyone having it rough, either Covid, Allergies or we are getting into Flu Season soon.

• Like 1

I hear your message Ron. My Christine is a snotty, dripping mess with her allergies. We live in the southern California mountains where smoke from  recent fires hang thick in the air. For me, I thankfully have no breathing or taste issues. That's perhaps why I'm as large as I am ... and it's not my winter coat either. If ya' know what I mean.       R.

• Like 1

Randall C. Resch

Thanks,

We are heading back into flu season and the virus seems to be ramping up again as well.  I am taking precautions, but I am still taking Keys and loading vehicles myself.  I am trying to limit passengers but I can leave someone sit along side the road if there is no other solution readily available.  Most of the people you see wearing masks are constantly adjusting them by touching their faces.  That along with all the other missuses of gloves and other PPE leaves a big gap in any protection they offer.  Handling money is a huge potential to spread the virus that gets very little mention.

We are in the service industry and it is hard to cover all the bases and still make a living.

Stay Safe

A good friend will bail you out of jail, but a great friend will ...