Quantcast
  • Join the TowForce community.

It looks like you're not logged in. Register to get started and to receive Tower Down Notices.

Re: Dealing with Prima Donna Drivers

One of my ally companies is dealing with a driver and his prima donna issues. He's a heavy driver that's thinks he's too good to handle a light-duty carrier job. Is it possible that he ISN'T skilled enough to run light-duty. I know several heavy and rotator operators who have forgotten the roots from whence they came. So, how do you handle a prima donna driver who won't run light-duty calls? Are they to sit on a pedestal and wait for that once in a while big rig call, or are they of most value to your company when they're asked to run light-duty? What's your take?     R.

Edited by rreschran

Randall C. Resch

It is very possible that the operator is not skilled in light duty work. Truthfully, he may not have a clue and is just too big and proud to admit it. I know most Operators cut their teeth in light duty work and move up to the big dogs throughout their career, But there are a select few that do it backwards, Such as myself. I started my career in heavy towing and I can truthfully tell you that for the first 3 or 4 years of my career the only light duty work I knew was the little bit I observed riding around with dad as a kid. Then there could also be the "I am too good to be running LD" syndrome that some guys get after years of running heavy. I would be lying if I was to say I didnt suffer from that syndrome for a bit earlier in my career. If an operator really feels that he is too good to perform work that is out of his normal scope or cant man-up and admit he isnt too sure of himself in that area of the job, Then I may be really evaluating his worth to my business. If you want to collect a paycheck then, You work where the work IS. If you need a refresher or even full on training, Say so and we will get it done. Maybe it is just me, but I want well rounded and skilled guys in my rigs.

Edited by GRUMPS The Towman

PROFESSIONAL TOWING & RECOVERY IS NOT JUST A JOB.. IT IS A LIFESTYLE

Unless it is a really small company with 3 or less drivers. Then I have stated numerous times I seriously dislike slip seating drivers. I have found that it is not productive, tow operators should be the best at what they do with each type of equipment. Yes, I have experienced heavy drivers who were capable of picking up a service truck (pickup style) with their heavy which was in the area they were in 100 miles from base and would not do it. That's Wrong!

But, Leave Heavy Drivers in Heavy Equipment. Leave Carrier/Rollbacks drivers in that equipment and so on. Now there are medium duty drivers that aspire to be heavy drivers and are willing to go up  or down. But, forcing a driver into a piece of equipment they are not comfortable operating. Is Wrong!

Thanks a hard call as each company is different. Ours is small and we'll jump in anything. Of course all the equipment is well maintained and we respect others equipment on those trucks. Most of the equipment is company equipment, drivers aren't required to purchase their own equipment out of their pocket. If they want something special they ask for it. If they lose something they replace it. If they break it, we replace it. I have hard that there are still many companies that complicate this process. It's always seemed rather like common sense to us and we know that is lacking in some organizations not just in this biz.

I've always believed that, "slip-seating", makes light and medium operators the most valuable to the tow company. Accordingly, we actively train  use of both kinds of equipment. Once an operator reaches heavy status and call volume is consistent, they stay in heavy class. Serving the heavy side is a different consideration. For my company, we paid better than average wages to motivate operators to work where there's need and calls for services. So, when someone is paid salary or hourly, they don't hang-out and wait for something that could happen. It's my expectation that our team is trained and compentent so, when volume is high or special details are scheduled, we work where there is need. But, during average day-to-day operations, operators generally work in the type of equipment they're most proficient in. Much of that is management's ability to know when and where to staff drivers and equipment accordingly based on calls for service. I particularly don't like operators to turn-down flatbed calls by telling the dispatcher, "No ... I only take wheel-lift calls." In serving big-city contracts, that doesn't fly with me. That's a discussion I have when hiring operators and a policy that's included in the company's job description.     R. 

Randall C. Resch