Quantcast
  • Join the TowForce community.

It looks like you're not logged in. Register to get started and to receive Tower Down Notices.

No Passengers???

thtdon

I have been kicking this around in my mind for the past few days.  I had a guy in my truck a few days ago that was coughing, sneezing, hacking, etc.  I opened his window.  And he didn't like it.  Here in Mass, the governor just banned any gatherings over 25 people.  He ordered all restaurants to be closed, with the exception of take-out.  (I'm glad that I went out for breakfast this morning.  It might be the last time for a while.  There was only a dozen people in the restaurant, which is very low for that place.)  All schools are closed.  All churches are closed too.  I'll bet that a lot of people will not be working for a while.  So there probably won't be any road calls anyway.  So until further notice, I will not let anyone ride with me in the truck.  I will call every customer and advise them of that before I tow their car.  And I will give them the phone number for Uber. 

thtdon

I have taken quite a lot of heat for stating my position. But, until this National Emergency has been called off it should be the Tow Company and/or Operators decision to have persons unknown to them in close proximity of up to 6 feet and not within the closed environment of the cab of the truck. Customers should be advised for their health and the drivers health they will need to arrange alternate transportation. This does not have to be a continuing policy, though it should be an option at this time to slow the spread of the virus.

We hear about new cases every day and many have been going on with their regular activities either not knowing or thinking this is just the common flu. The first sign is said to be at High Fever which intensifies if not treated. Those with low immune systems are at high risk. Meaning if your come in contact with someone that is infected and have a high tolerance level in your immune system you can still carry it back to family members or anyone you come in contact with such as another customer.

I feel it is a good policy to simply limit possible exposure for a short time. If that means losing a customer to a competitor then you must decide the risk. There is no we'll do it this way for this customer and this way for that one. It's either all in or all out and take the risk. I'd like to say one region of the country is safer then another, that simply isn't the case and this will likely be with us up until the end of the year.

I am the custodian, and I am a trustee at my church.  So tomorrow, I have the task of notifying the AA group that uses our parish hall every day that they can't use it for at least a month.  And we rent out another hall to a Spanish church.  They can't use that either.  I am hoping that the AA group will assemble outside on the lawn.  People that attend AA meetings need the support that they get from each other.   But the law is the law.  It is going to be a long month. 

ADDENDUM#1** I decided to tell AA that it is their decision, as tenants, whether to continue to hold their daily meetings in our hall, which they rent from us.  I don't want to be the bad guy.  However, I suggested that they hold their meetings outside on the lawn.  Then they can be spaced 6 feet apart for safety.  I also told them that they would have to clean the restrooms and the kitchen sinks daily.  The Corona-Virus lives on surfaces for at least 5 days.  So it is imperative that they are diligent about cleaning.   

As for me, as I said above, I have decided not to allow customers to ride along in the truck with me anymore.  I told a couple of people that today.  And they both said that they didn't blame me.  (Of course, what makes me think that a customer would want to place himself at risk by sitting next to me?)  It cuts both ways.  I have always had latex gloves in my truck.  I only used them at the scene of an accident where there was blood, vomit, etc.  Now I use them on every call, every day.

ADDENDUM#2** Today was the last day for the AA group to meet in our church Parish Hall.  It was their decision, and not mine.  They were doing everything right.  They cleaned everything after every meeting.  And they had the chairs spaced six feet apart.  But as the COVID19 situation worsens, I guess that they are afraid.  So I told them that when the weather warms up a little, they can have their meetings on the lawn. 

So it's the end of week 1 of "no passengers" in the truck.  I advised several people that they would have to secure their own ride, including one customer on the highway (He called an Uber).  Every person was understanding.  Not 1 fight!

At the end of week 2 of "no passengers" in the truck, again, no problem with anyone. 

• Like 2

• 2 months later...

I have always wanted to end the practice of carrying passengers in the tow truck.  But it's tough to initiate, unless we have help- in this case, the Corona-Virus.  I have had a few people- FAT PEOPLE- who would have fallen out of the truck if I hadn't been there to break their fall.  I have also been kicking around the idea of mounting a couple of cameras inside the cab, aimed at the passengers and at me.  I am done hauling passengers.  I have a deal with UBER and LIFT.  I don't haul passengers, and they don't tow cars.  And that's how it is going to stay.  I will never allow a customer to ride in the cab with me again. 

• Like 2

I just made a post in Safety & Training as I am concerned that some Towing Companies will begin to expose Tow Trucker Drivers thinking this pandemic as overblown as it may seem is now safe because the media has moved their focus. There is still a risk though much lower in some areas compared to others. Being in close proximity to unknown persons is not advisable. With such options as uber & lyft in most areas there is little reason these days to take riders. However, each tow is different so there may be a time when taking a passenger is the only option. My concern is that Company Dispatchers and Motor Clubs do not explain this to the customer/member. I have been glad to see that several clubs have stepped up and informed members of the policy due to Covid-19. That policy needs to continue. Times Change!

Over two months now since we drastically reduced the number of customers in our trucks. We will likely continue this for tows within the county only making exceptions for long distance tows, however that may be months from now. The Uber and Lyft connections we have made are working well and most customers when advised of our current policy are as concerned. They will have arraigned their own transportation and we saw this more even before Covid 19. Did anyone else notice fewer customers requiring transportation with their vehicle?

Like Don I have always been against having customers ride along. There has to be extenuating circumstances for me to allow customers ride in my truck and I have been that way long before the covid situation. It is a big grey area insurance wise and It just opens the flood gates for all sorts of accusations and lawsuits. the best way to rectify that situation is NO PASSENGERS. Im not a taxi 

PROFESSIONAL TOWING & RECOVERY IS NOT JUST A JOB.. IT IS A LIFESTYLE

Strangely enough, the passenger seat of my flatbed is out of the cab.  Not for the purpose of keeping customers out.  But because we had to change the exhaust pipe that comes off of the back of the engine.  And the only easy way to change that pipe is to remove the doghouse cover and the seat.  I am going to get the seat cleaned, while it's out.

As far as COVID-19 is concerned, I tested positive for the virus at the beginning of May.  And I was quarantined to my house for 5 weeks.  That's 5 weeks of virtually no revenue.  If you think that I am going to take an unnecessary chance of catching that again, you'd be wrong.  I do not know where I caught the virus.  It could have anywhere.  It could have been at the grocery store, touching the gas pump nozzle at the filling station, etc.  I don't know anyone else personally who had the virus.  I stopped taking passengers early on.  I wear latex gloves.  And I stepped up hand washing and sanitizing early on too.  I followed the rules.  But I caught it anyway.  I could have caught it just about anywhere.  NO PASSENGERS IN MY TRUCK ANYMORE!

• Like 1